Need Computer Help

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
As much as I like what computers do for us, I hate them. Or more correctly, I hate the programs that cause me so much trouble. On advice offered here, I just recently began using Avast Anti Virus, which seems to be every bit as good as many of you said it was. So what is the problem?

Well, I have removed both CA Security Suite and AVG Anti Virus programs form my computer, using the Windows XP Add/Remove Programs system. And there are old DLLs still on my computer from both programs that weren't removed. So CA Security Suite keeps trying to update itself, and AVG Anti Virus keeps prompting me to do an initial scan. Do software companies do this on purpose to punish users who stop using their products?

Anyway, can anyone tell me, a total Tech Dummy, if there is some way I can delete these unwanted and useless leftover DLLs? I would hope and think they can't do any real harm, but they are annoying.

Hey John,

Haven't talked to ya in ages...how've you been?

I use a freeware program called CCleaner (you can find it at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner).

Ignore the blurb about paying for it (they're just asking for contributions and offering "priority support"), there are a couple of mirror links to download the free installer on the download page (look under where it says "Version 3.02.1343". It does a good job of cleaning up the junk files that can accumulate and it also has a registry cleaner and some other utilities which users may find useful.

Take Care, and Happy New Year!

As much as I like what computers do for us, I hate them. Or more correctly, I hate the programs that cause me so much trouble. On advice offered here, I just recently began using Avast Anti Virus, which seems to be every bit as good as many of you said it was. So what is the problem?

Well, I have removed both CA Security Suite and AVG Anti Virus programs form my computer, using the Windows XP Add/Remove Programs system. And there are old DLLs still on my computer from both programs that weren't removed. So CA Security Suite keeps trying to update itself, and AVG Anti Virus keeps prompting me to do an initial scan. Do software companies do this on purpose to punish users who stop using their products?

Anyway, can anyone tell me, a total Tech Dummy, if there is some way I can delete these unwanted and useless leftover DLLs? I would hope and think they can't do any real harm, but they are annoying.

I just delete the program files in the windows folder. Zip, done, dead and gone once I use the uninstaller. Just make sure you know what you're deleting before you reboot ;)

I recently downloaded an MP4 player and if I don't go through certain areas of Windows to turn it off Windows will not shut down. WIERD huh? Just the way it works.

d

I just delete the program files in the windows folder. Zip, done, dead and gone once I use the uninstaller. Just make sure you know what you're deleting before you reboot ;)

I recently downloaded an MP4 player and if I don't go through certain areas of Windows to turn it off Windows will not shut down. WIERD huh? Just the way it works.

d

I did follow up with manual deleting, but some of the DLLs still wouldn't delete. Hi Neo, good to see you around again. I'm doing ok for an old worn out geezer.

Using the program Steve suggested worked great, and cleaned up a lot of junk. Thanks again Mr. Tech Pro!

Yeah, Revo should be on everyone's short-list of essential utilities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Heard a different Aaron Neville song earlier, saw him in New Orleans...
      Reactions: xenonph
      Back