SS Pistol Poker (Alvin G, 1993) - need your brain, even if you don't know Alvin G games

Solid State Machines

GreenLED

aka newsdude from vpf
Solutions
Reaction score
I picked up an Alvin G Pistol Poker a few weeks ago. Given the lack of Alvin G info out there, I'd like to pick some brains since it seems that most of the stuff is the same as other brands of the same time. The issues all seem to be in the backbox.

#1. Occasional resets: After about 10 minutes of play, and usually about the time I hit MegaMode, it will reset. I've been perusing lots of repair sites (none of which are for Alvin G games...) and from what I've read it sounds like I need to replace the two capacitors on the power board in the back.

#2. Display issues: The display itself powers up OK, and shows only a tiny bit of darkening in one corner (it has a Data East warranty, and from what I see all DMDs are universal, right?). Also, the board ROM status light is showing OK. But it's distorted. Seems like columns with many pixels on will repeat, alternating on and off. Large block text is semi-legible, but animations are complete garbage. I've attached a picture below. I've tried reseating all the related connections, and as far as I can see they are all good. In looking at stuff on IPDB, I noticed the Pistol Poker game shown there has a much longer 14-pin data cable (mine is barely long enough to reach the display) AND has a ferrite bead on it too. Could it be that my cable is too short and thus the signal too strong?

I hope to be able to gather some of this info and hopefully put together some sort of repair guide for the Alvin G's out there, since there's literally nothing. It seems like 98% of the WPC era-type info is the same, but some info on the boardsets and other 'quirks' might be nice to have out there.

Please feel free to offer any suggestions you have... THANK YOU!

Attachments

• 0727092226a.jpg
    0727092226a.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 301
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Killabot has left the room.
      Back