• NOTE: The site is experiencing sporadic loading / speed problems. Sometimes it will load normally; other times it will take longer, or even hang. In that case, try refreshing after a few moments. We are working to get this fixed, and thank you for your patience!
  • Thanks folks, for bearing with us during these server problems! Many thanks also to Ian Longstaff for his lovely table roundups, posted on YT. And here is... WEEK TWO!
  • Google Translate to French or Other Languages Click on the link and a new tab will open with this page translated into French.
    Click on the "To:" pull down option to select a different language. Users will not be logged in on the new Google tab.

Problems accessing PN

AnonTet

Pinball Hall of Famer
Site Supporters
@staff

I've been getting a lot of trouble accessing PN for the last few days. It is mostly very very slow and often I get a "Service Unavailable" message.

Are you guys doing some maintenance, is it just me?

Upvote 0

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I had something strange happen. I have a bookmark to this site https:// pinballnirvana.com/. When I clicked on it, my browser said "Redirecting to https:// pinballnirvana.com/forums in 5 seconds". After waiting what seemed slightly longer than 5 seconds, the site came up.

I don't know if this will help Jon figure out what is going on or not but all I can do is report what is happening. It does seem that opening the home page takes longer to respond than clicking on links on the home page. Like previously mentioned, I agree the site seems very sporadic. Sometimes it responds quickly and other times slow although the home page always takes longer to open.

JonPurpleHaze

Site Nudger
Staff member
Sorry All, I've been troubleshooting along with some updates to the software and trying to get this fixed.

I received a email from the hosting company on Friday that is mind blowing to me, I haven't responded to them yet but it's unacceptable, they are slowing us down.

I'm going through some steps that were suggested like web crawler controls and CloudFlare before responding to them.

We've been with Dreamhost for 15 years and they recently started to delete my database backup folder and move them to a 60 day trial program, their email's last suggestion was to change to a higher plan. I'm messing around with CloudFlare so the site was unreachable awhile ago,

Last edited:

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
It appears you may have figured it out. I thought it could be a simple response time problem due to the addition of the 5 images posted on "Latest Media". "Latest Media" is a relatively new addition to the home page. It seems the home page is always the slowest to respond. ...But probably not.

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Consultant
Actually it makes sense to me that the home page could load somewhat slower than an access point like latest posts, which is how I usually hit the site.

I.e., the 'home page' method has to run a variety of modules (plus create those five media thumbnails) and tidily arrange them all in to one page. "Latest posts" by comparison runs far less functions, and mainly just lists posts in order of recency.

So if the site host was running at top speed, your connection was up to the task, and you had a good machine, then the two different access methods might load almost the same speed for you, even though internally in XF, much more work is going on with the one. But when there's more drag from point A to point Z (for any and all reasons), then users might start seeing a more noticeable difference.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot Mibs:
  • (Guest) Scelios:
    (Guest) Scelios: ****** *** *** **** **** ** *** *** * ******** ***** ***** ******* ****** ***