Reasons not to buy a new Stern [Mark from PinballExpert, Brisbane]

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park

I certainly don't know enough about Stern's current business practices and product to weigh in, but the guy seems to be making some pretty incisive points here. A sixty day warranty for a $7k machine certainly does sound rather pants, particularly if most modern machines are going to home buyers, in which case they're obviously not going to get worked out the same as in an arcade / bar.

Has Stern's product been going downhill in recent years? Seems like there's a fair share of commenters who are saying that. Other critiques revolve around machines coming out too quickly, having problems with software when new, and the high-end versions having design issues.

I'm just a fly on the wall at this point, but this stuff does seem pretty relevant.

when Stern changed to the new system the node boards had issues
from what i understand the newer node boards are much more reliable

Sterns warranty has never been good

when Stern changed to the new system the node boards had issues
from what i understand the newer node boards are much more reliable

Sterns warranty has never been good
Do you own any Sterns these days, and how do you like them?

I noticed someone commenting on either YT or Reddit that 90's Williams / Ballys were still remarkably economical, at least in the States. That you could get a masterpiece like Twilight Zone or similar in good shape for less than a new Stern. That seems rather amazing to me, if true.

I'm still not totally sure what's powering the modern resurgence that's allowing Stern and others to stay in business. Could it really be mainly due to personal collectors? Because I'm not aware of an increase in machines out in the wild. More like the reverse.

I dont have any new Sterns
I bought a Batman TDK and an Ironman when they were NIB, good feeling but the rush goes when the next game is released
I bought some deep games, TZ, LOTR and found that if it takes 45 minutes to play the game then that is not fun for me

i probably will never buy another NIB
I have more fun playing the last of the EMs up to the WPC era

but you are right, it is personal collectors that are driving the market, hence why we see pro's premiums and LEs of each release, and then the boutique machine's like Batman 66, the stuff from Spooky pinball, the AFM and MM remakes. they sell out within hours and go straight into peoples houses

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back