JonPurpleHaze

Site Nudger
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Drop-A-Card
After upgrading the forum software last week, Resource Teams were introduced!

The Resources (Downloads) section was expanded and allows Users the ability to upload a table and assign other Users as team members so that they can also contribute and be able to alter the content. Existing file owners will also see a new option of Manage Resource Team in the options for your file.
When Resource Teams were introduced, it was tested a bit and worked well, here's a description:

Resource owners will be able to add up to 10 other users as team members for each resource. Team members will be able to take actions against a resource as if it were their own, with the exception of deletions which may only be performed by the owner.

Resource owners will find the "Manage resource team" in the More Options drop down menu for their resource, images attached.

Resources_More_options_drop_down.png

Resource_Teams_Add_Members.png

A very old Pass It On project Table could have used this technology?: https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?resources/pass-it-on.5679/ (VP8 - Pass It On)

These uploads could be projects, improvements, versions, mods, collaborations, etc.... :santawink:

PS: Testing a new thread option of Question instead of the default Discussion....

Edited 4/24/21: Added new instructions with images

Last edited:
PS: Testing a new thread option of Question instead of the default Discussion....

Nothing happened back then but I discovered Users need a response in order to be able to rank responses and the thread starter to also be able to mark a post as a "Solution" in the thread, Testing...
:yes2:

Last edited:
Tested the question-style post format just now. Looks like a pretty cool reproduction of the system some other sites use. Quora.com was one IIRC.

Looks like this system is best suited to when you have a load of responses and a lot of eyes on the thread. That way you'll naturally get a healthy amount of upvotes & downvotes on various answers, helping to make the better responses stand out. Still, it looks like it's up to the thread-starter to 'officially' choose the best answer, which then gets copied right below the original question.

Definitely a nice way of creating some definitive answers over time.

One thing that would be nice is if threads created in the two "First Aid" areas (plus the maintenance area) defaulted in to question format... which the user could still adjust if desired. Not sure if that's possible in XF, as this is a brand new feature and I don't know anything about it yet. Another option might be to suggest the user do it manually in the two existing notices we have.

EDIT: I also tested the "article" post format, and so far it looks like it simply places the posters ID info at the bottom of the post instead of right next to it, as with a standard post. Guess that's a small but helpful change.

Last edited:
As for Resource Teams, my first assumption was that it was also a way to list multiple authors on a project, which could have come in handy. But it looks like it works only as you described, Jon.

Not sure how many authors here will really need something like this, but it's always nice to have the option. Something like "Pass-It-On" definitely could have benefited. (nice example!)

@JonPurpleHaze,
Guess there's not much harm in discussing this here, so I'll go ahead for the time being:

One thing that would be nice is if threads created in the two "First Aid" areas (plus the maintenance area) defaulted in to question format... which the user could still adjust if desired. Not sure if that's possible in XF, as this is a brand new feature and I don't know anything about it yet.
So I looked in to this a bit and found some new options under node / forum settings in the admin panel. They look like this:

Thread format options.jpg

As an admin, I was able to drag and reorder the thread types as desired, but the one labelled "Discussions" was always locked in to the top position. I would think this is because the forum type is set to "General discussions," which is also locked in for me, and allows no other choice.

I'm wondering if, as the super admin, it gives you a choice. This is hardly a big deal or anything, but if it let you set it to something that allowed question-type threads to be the first choice, I'm thinking that could be helpful for the two First Aid forums and the Maintenance forum.

Last edited:
The other issue about thread types were resolved a long time ago.

The original post in this thread was updated with new instructions and images.

Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back