shiva

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Trigon
As everyone already knows, shivaSite will be getting a new dedicated server. It now appears, that the time is now, as it seems the server host has completely pooched the database, after their last "upgrade". The sad thing about all of this is it's for phpBB issues, and they were not to touch my site.

Anyone know a good lawyer?

Anyway, they may or may not fix it, but I have had enough of this. I will be screaming at them very shortly, but I have decided that the time is right to just move anyway, as I will have a personal situation to look after in August.

I have my questions in to the company I've selected, and if the answers are satisfactory, I will order a new server (they make them to order, takes 48 hours) and then reset up the site.

Some people have already seen the new test forums, and the new software, and it's quite impressive, and I am sure that everyone will find the changes to be very positive.

The new site, once the DNS is changed, will take some time to set up, but supporting members and staff (If I can recover the database that is) will get access sooner to test.

Since everything is brand new though, some things will be missing (like the themes and the arcade) but other features will still be there, and a whole bunch of new ones.

Hopefully, this will fix things once and for all. It's a valuable lesson, never trust anyone to do their job, they will always let you down.

If the site goes back up in the meanwhile, hammer the crap out of it.

I was offline for two days, and come back to find out this. What a bummer. Hopefully you'll be back up with the new server soon, so let me know what I can do. The shame of it all is that you pretty much have to take folks at their word, which usually doesn't live up to their empty promises.

John

yeah, where there's another problem as well, we have no way to pay for the server now, we got the money, but the account we have isn't set up for monthly payments, and that seems to be the norm. I need someone to handle the finances, as Jeff is too busy to handle it anymore.

And, I just got two fillings done at the dentist today. :(

Ouch, and the dentist sounds like the best news you've had the past few days. If I could I'd handle the finances, but I'm sure that with me getting a governmemt check for disability it would only confuse the issue and probably screw up my benefits.

John

Yeap, was the best news of the last couple weeks, monday was very unpleasant to say the least.

I have the same problem as you John, and paypal isn't set up for Canada.

On top of it, I found a very nasty bug in VP, if you have ME, and you switch off the auto save feature, your table will not save, though it goes through the routine.

Real nice, All Randy seems to do is not fix the old bugs, and just add new ones. lost 4 hours of work, and I saved it about 10 times.

Well, I don't use ME, but then, I also still use 6.1. So I only have to contend with VP locking up on me every so often.

John

pain huh?

Well, think I have saved at least some of the database, but the corruption wiped out after may, and there's gonna be a lot of errors. I hate manually editing databases. :(

Still, may have something up within the next few days.

Man you've had a rough trot with server problems, shiva. It's amazing you have stuck with it through all the crap you have had to contend with.

Your dedication to VP and shiva-site members is really appreciated. We are lucky to have you and John and people like you guys to carry the load for no-hopers like me.

Thanks again, and I hope you can salvage most of your site.

Good luck Big Blue. Once it's back up, I'll see what I can do to help.

John

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Wolfkell is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back