Some french songs (dedicated to Isaac)

Now, Claude Nougaro for a september 1962 song

and the (french) text

Attachments

• UnePetiteFille.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 1
OK, it's a belgium, but what a talentuous guy. Mister Jacques Brel (not the best movie but with sub-titles).

Sorry, my bad! I forget Michel Jonasz (same punition, not the best movie, but with sun-titles).

I though it was this one:

Blame @Pop Bumper Pete for reminding me of this :D

Awesome, thanks!

I'll get on these tout de suite.

Basically, it's a comedian. He bet he could make the Top 50 by writing such a song on an overtly zany theme...
Just 28 weeks in the the french Top 50 with first one week and about 500 000 disks sold...
The man with the lavabo is Jacky (an other story).

A little bit different (and a little bit complex to understand):

Last edited:
Not the better release (with english sub-titles) but prepare your handkerchiefs if you have a soul...

A last for today.

Welp, I listened to the first seven songs.
I only knew three of them, so that shows how far I have to go.

@JP,
Your selection above highlights to me how French songs often seem to place emotion and spirit above all other concerns. I suppose that makes some of them harder to penetrate in to foreign markets, something I'd never thought about before.

Dear lord, that one had some real "I'm too sexy for my..." energy.

One minute was all that was needed for me. In another hundred years, I might see about listening to the last part of the song.

And... here's one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard:

I'll end up with another twist on french music:
Pretty sure anyone in the world have heard these at least once in his/her lifetime:

Debussy Clair de Lune - 3rd movement

Ravel's Bolero in one of my favorite renditions but I am biased towards Dudamel's lead so...

And last but not least, Bizet. The opera is good the instrumental is better. But I'm weird. I think 99% of the time lyrics ruin music so what do I know. Before you bash me, think how much music still fits in that 1% left :D

Au revoir :)

And last but not least, Bizet. The opera is good the instrumental is better. But I'm weird. I think 99% of the time lyrics ruin music so what do I know. Before you bash me, think how much music still fits in that 1% left :D
I can kind of understand that.

I've always been the type to think that the melody and structure of a song is vastly more important than the text of the lyrics. Well, usually. Then again, as someone who's done a lot of public karaoke the past few years, I kind of have to walk that back a little. Lyrics can greatly add context and significance to how a song is sung.

I also find it interesting that some songwriters begin with the finished lyrics, then try to write a song around them, but others like Elton John write the music first, then Bernie Taupin comes up with lyrics to fit.

Anyway, here's a groovy, badass song in which the lyrics switch from English to French midstream:

Oui Oui! Switching from English to French reminded me of this song...
Hmm, his accent seems pretty good.
Of course, many singers have to be able to listen carefully and replicate exactingly.

One time my family was on a trip to Hungary and enjoyed a small outdoor concert of American rock hits (think Boston). When the set was done, my stepdad approached the group, wishing to compliment the excellence of the singer's accent. Well, turns out he barely spoke any English. He simply listened to the songs a zillion times so he could perfectly replicate the singing... without knowing what he was actually saying. XD

Love the thread, took 2 years of French in high school and it was worthless....:twisted:
The classical stuff is superb and was special to moi, Bolero is excellent!

Probably doesn't fit in this thread but can Labelle hang out?
The first time I heard this song, Voulez-vous coucher avec moi (ce soir)?, which translates into English as "Do you want to sleep with me (tonight)?"
My only thought was Oui! 8-)

For very, but very, fluents in french -> Raymond Devos (de vos -> le renard (the fox) in french) an other great belgium guy who made his entire career playing on french language.

Attachments

• Devos.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Easy to translate :rasta: I really like this guy!

morceaux choisis = "morsals chosen" i.e. "choice morsels" i.e. "select choices" en anglais?

C'est vrai?

Note: I didn't use google-translate to verify myself, this time.
How did I do?

For very, but very, fluents in french -> Raymond Devos (de vos -> le renard (the fox) in french) an other great belgium guy who made his entire career playing on french language.

That's way... WAY too fast for me to even begin to understand, but I like his style!

It reminds me a bit of what I've read about Depardieu-- that when he was in school he was naturally tres expresif (sp?), but he was also very shy, and not confident with words.

So he tended to pantomime and gesture in funny ways, and his teachers & classmates evidently thought it quite amusing. I don't know if that's what gave him the confidence to get in to acting, but it couldn't have hurt, non?

61gOn86685L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

One of his first sketch (Raymond Devos - 1958) with french sub-titles
One other with french text

Attachments

• Devos.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@Popotte!
Tout mon respect--
Mais... this is not a one-way street, mon frere.

Can't you say whether you liked my song suggestions?

In response to yours..?

@Popotte!
Tout mon respect--
Mais... this is not a one-way street, mon frere.

Can't you say whether you liked my song suggestions?

In response to yours..?
Sorry, but I don't understand. :cheers:

Now, some french rap, but cool, very cool. MC Solaar.

Attachments

• Caro.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Caro.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Bouge.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 0
  • QuiSeme.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      xenonph @ xenonph: @oilpainter27 find here...
      Back