Williams Space Shuttle

It was just an idea at the time. After your post I though think there's a need for that.

I have updated the menu system to add options for setting the Bounce Control (selection of Groups 1 - 12) and turning Paolo's flipper bounce sound on or off.

Earlier, I created frames for the in-game display of both the above options also. This table has no DMD and the score is displayed on segmented displays so there aren't too many ways to display your selections for the in-game display. So I ended up using overlays that normally game info like tilt etc. It works well though.

I have added JLou's version 2 of the dynamic flippers. JLou's code has an option for bounce control that bypasses Ravarcade's version of the bounce code. It has too much bounce for me but I added it as an option on the "Bounce Control" menu for those that like it. Of course, the same bounce options are available there also that I have added to Twilight Zone.

I added the new spinner physics option from one of the recent BAM updates. It seems to improve things a little although I don't think it performed too badly on the previous version. Tomasaco's model for the spinner seems to work differently than the standard FP one. The new code makes it spin a few more times than without the code and I like it.

I reduced the volume of Paolo's ball hitting the flipper sound. It seemed like it was too bit loud.

I made some adjustments to the ball shadows from the new BAM version that they call ray casting. Some of the shadows extend all the way across the entire table. I was unable to figure out a way to shorten the shadows. Off, some of the shadows are short and some are long. TerryRed suggested I adjust some parameters on the existing shadow maps but it didn't help. ...But I like the table better with the ray casting than without so I will go with it.

I would to get you guys opinion on something. I created a version of Space Shuttle where you can open the menu during a game. In the past, you could only open the menu before the game starts. The only problem is you can't see the playfield when the menu is open because the menu takes up the whole screen. So the only times you can open the menu without the ball draining is before you launch the ball or you can cradle the ball with one flipper and operate the menu with the other flipper. I am not sure how much appeal this would have to the average user. What do you guys think?

IIRC, the later BAM editions let you control a ball's X,Y & VelX, VelY. So when opening such a menu, one might start up a timer that temporarily locks the ball's X, Y, polls the Vel states, and zeros them out. Then when the menu is closed, unlock the X,Y and restore the Vel states.

Well, actually in a non-simple table, you'd have to do similar with every other time-affiliated element, like... timers. So, could be a PITA, depending.

I wonder if Rafal has ever thought about introducing a "freeze" command. Would be kind of interesting to turn something like that on, then rotate table views ala "Bullet-Time" from the Matrix movies. :p

@Gimli do you know some code that will do what Nic suggests?

@GeorgeH

if you are interested, I have a code to freeze the ball, which I asked Rav which he then created for me, for my Diamond Lady table.

@GeorgeH

if you are interested, I have a code to freeze the ball, which I asked Rav which he then created for me, for my Diamond Lady table.
OK that will be great!! You can go ahead and post it.

OK that will be great!!
yes I believe it too!
You can go ahead and post it.
Ok, I'll explain,hope you will understand.
I made a mistake,I had to check the code first, before entering my comment.

The code I have (Rav's mathematical code), it is not for "freezer the ball", but instead if you have a stationary ball, that is, not moving, like blocked with the fin raised, see photo
Cattura888.JPG
an your "subrootine" code is activated, showing you for example your menu, your "subroutine" is inserted into this code created by Rav ....... (Rav's mathematician) the code is activated as soon as the ball is completely stopped.

Now i think this code (Rav's mathematician code) that i called "ball not moving" is also useful in this context too.

I try to explain myself even better, the codes for this context are two and they are mathematical, one by means of keys you "freeze the ball", the other as soon as the ball is frozen, "ball not moving" is activated.

The code I have that is; "ball not moving".....not "freez ball"

The one to freeze the ball is missing, this is what I have already asked Rav, since one of the codes that is necessary for this context, I have it , easier for me to explain to Rav, and easier for him to understand what do

So, I wait for an answer from Rav.

You have:
- save the position and velocity of the ball when you open the menu,
- put the ball somewhere where it can move (plunger for example),
- when you close the menu, activate a timer (1" would be good) so the menu can disappear and you can have some time to react,
- this timer restore the position and velocity of the ball.

Yes...there are a few other ways, to open a menu,via a kicker for example ,or including as Jp suggests.

sure in the "freeze ball" mode (through keys) the momentum (speed) that the ball has at that moment is lost, unless Rav includes this possibility, "freeze ball" would have the possibility to stop the ball even in height "Z "position, like on a ramp for example.

"we" could also use this sub, FuturePinball_Paused() to bring up a menu, a menu like in this case that takes up the whole playfield, like George uses

Well, moving whatever is coded under special2key into sub futurepinball_paused() might do the trick quite nicely. Great idea @Paolo

The only downside might be the hiscore display on top. I don't know if you can disable that.

Rav sent me a message with an idea that might work. Hopefully, he will send a reply with the code. I didn't think of the FuturePinball_Paused() option. I will try it if Rav's method doesn't work.

I got a reply from Rav, it is not possible to freeze ball, because it is not possible to convert dynamic object to static object.

ok, but I think the term "freeze ball" is wrong with this concept, so I told Rav to consider the sub futurespinball_paused () and how functions , which does not alter the status of the ball(I did a test), and maybe remove the fact that the hiscore display appears

Rav sent me a message with an idea that might work
can I ask you what it would be?
I didn't think you asked also to rav something about this context, I hope we don't create confusion if we ask to rav the same thing

Last edited:
I've found SendKeys call is something that it exists in VBScript but it doesn't work, or should I say, I can't make it work in future pinball.

My idea was to have the script to "press" the pause key for us if Special2Key was pressed. we'd still had the hiscore problem to solve though.

I got a reply from Rav, it is not possible to freeze ball, because it is not possible to convert dynamic object to static object.

ok, but I think the term "freeze ball" is wrong with this concept, so I told Rav to consider the sub futurespinball_paused () and how functions , which does not alter the status of the ball(I did a test), and maybe remove the fact that the hiscore display appears

can I ask you what it would be?
I didn't think you asked also to rav something about this context, I hope we don't create confusion if we ask to rav the same thing
This is what Rav said: "Right now only way you can do it is use xBAM.EnumBalls, store ball positions, velocity, omegas... and restore it every physics frame... But other object will still move (like flippers), they can touch/move "frozen" balls..."

I tried "futurespinball_paused ()". As you said, the high scores are displayed on top of the menu.

This is what Rav said: "Right now only way you can do it is use xBAM.EnumBalls, store ball positions, velocity, omegas... and restore it every physics frame... But other object will still move (like flippers), they can touch/move "frozen" balls..."

I tried "futurespinball_paused ()". As you said, the high scores are displayed on top of the menu.
It's about that I said. But for me, just save velocity and position (and put the ball somewhere) and after restore all does the trick.
Just my opinion.

Well dang, BAM is such a great project.

By comparison, we used to have fun discussions & debates like this /all the time/ when it came to VP, but trying to get the attention of Randy Davis (the original programmer) was like a carnival crapshoot. "Who's this year's lucky winner going to be!?" lol

Not to mention, Randy could be active for a few months, sometimes listening to feedback, sometimes not so much, then we wouldn't hear from him again for a couple &^#$ years at a time.

Like-- you want to know how to develop neurosis as a VP author / programmer / thinker? It would be coming up with some really nice ideas for the project, getting agreement almost all around (other than fucking PacDude's), but sadly, nobody back on Earth hearing the message.

Which is again, why I love (and am utterly blown away) by how Rafal @ravarcade keeps listening and adding features requested. I'd venture to say it's downright incredible to old fools such as @Pop Bumper Pete, @LeeVanCleef, @bob and myself.

I guess my rambling point is-- FP-BAM is just -so much- more of a dynamic project than we used to have 15-20 years ago. Like, when the dev listens to the community and responds accordingly, it's just the right kind of fireworks. :special:

I would to get you guys opinion on something. I created a version of Space Shuttle where you can open the menu during a game. In the past, you could only open the menu before the game starts. The only problem is you can't see the playfield when the menu is open because the menu takes up the whole screen. So the only times you can open the menu without the ball draining is before you launch the ball or you can cradle the ball with one flipper and operate the menu with the other flipper. I am not sure how much appeal this would have to the average user. What do you guys think?
Anyway, getting back to your original question, George... I've played a boatload of games across a boatload of platforms. When the 'freeze' function isn't available, yeah, you just pick your spots.

I'd say practically-speaking, if you're letting the user bring up that menu between balls (before launching), or cradling ball-on-flipper, you're already doing them a HUGE FAVOR that doesn't rely on restarting the game.

So your original concept is more than fair IMO, just that it's really cool to think about doing a FULL FREEZE in FP! Matrix! Bullet-time! lol

yes I know, and as Anontet also said, in fact after Rav's answer to me, I told him if there was the possibility, to remove high scores with an "xbam code" in this "sub",I have always used this "sub pause" for music, using it for something else is nothing short of unique that rare.

yes I know, and as Anontet also said, in fact after Rav's answer to me, I told him if there was the possibility, to remove high scores with an "xbam code" in this "sub",I have always used this "sub pause" for music, using it for something else is nothing short of unique that rare.
I don't think Rav planned on using "futurespinball_paused ()". I think it involved using the new ball vector stuff (or whatever you call it) that he added to BAM. I don't know how to code it though I don't think it requires any new changes to BAM.

I don't think Rav planned on using "futurespinball_paused ()". I think it involved using the new ball vector stuff (or whatever you call it) that he added to BAM. I don't know how to code it though I don't think it requires any new changes to BAM.
what rav could do for your menu, is always good for you.

using "futurespinball_paused ()", might be an easier solution in my opinion, without needing some special and mathematical coding from rav.,since when you press the pause it doesn't alter the state of the ball at that moment, just need to remove the "high scores display" which I think bam could do.....and your problem would be solved with a simple "xbam" code, this is what I asked Rav (if it is possible), then you are free to use whatever you think is most appropriate,what Rav gives us,to me or to you

I have added the spotlight and updated the lighting. I have managed to get the model of the space shuttle to look the way I want. I ended up changing all the GI flashers to spotlights to prevent overlap of the light from different flashers. BAM calls these spotlights although I made the edges more diffuse so they actually look like flood lights. I made the screenshot below of the day mode. I know many of you prefer the darker modes but for some reason screenshots appear darker than they actually are. I have found that day mode works best for screenshots.

I got word from Rav. He says he will have some code for me before the weekend. The in-game menu will make the whole menu system more functional and easier to use. After I get Rav's code added, this table will be ready to post.

Space Shuttle 1.3 New Bounce Option Menu.png

Looks great as usual.
Can I ask you for the settings you use for the spotlights cone and falloff?

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back