shiva

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Trigon
There's always a question about what kind of computer you need to run vpx or fp in a cabinet, and the answer is not as much as you think. Really, all you need is a dedicated graphics card that can address 2 gigs or more, a decent cpu, even if it's years old, and enough space for the tables.

Down ther road, maybe even I will (finally) build a dedicated cabinet, so a cheap computer is a must that can be upgraded easily if needed is the most important thing. So browsing on youtube,I came across a new video from Linus Tech Tips on "Treasure Boxes" refurbished old dells with aweful gold paint sprayed on them, and of course, I thought. "This will be a good one."

Image my surprise, and even Linus's surprise, these turned out to be surprisingly good for the price. Of course you would think thesew are cheap chinese crapware, but these are done in CANADA!!!!

Full win 10 license with no bloatware, decent specs, actual customer support that seams very decent. 3-4th gen icores, 16-32 gigs, around 300 cdn for basic with optiflex with no gpu (easy to find).

Who would have thought, huh?

:-) Nice video @shiva The other day I was working with someones pc with only 2.4 mhz clock speed and it felt like I was snailing along. I like to use old pc's for parts or you could use them for servers anything over an i9 is just overkill. It's interesting that some smartphones are now better than some old pc's.

snail.jpg

https://www.titancomputers.com/Best-Workstation-Computers-s/72.htm

oh come on Shiva, those PCs are dinosaurs.
i guess they might be ok for a basic home PC and maybe watching movies and videos.

Last edited:
oh come on Shiva, those PCs are dinosaurs.
It could be worth it if you buy an old pc for 10 dollars at a yard sale and just take out the hard drive and get a cheap hard drive bay. :-D Or you can use the metal parts for cheap metal fabrication lol. you can build a bird house lol

It could be worth it if you buy an old pc for 10 dollars at a yard sale and just take out the hard drive and get a cheap hard drive bay. :-D Or you can use the metal parts for cheap metal fabrication lol. you can build a bird house lol
those old optiplex PCs are pretty old.
you seem to be a lot better at this than i am.
i think these old PCs had display ports.
would something like this work for a basic desktop PC on the web and maybe watch movies and videos out the display port or
will it need a GFX card to a flatscreen TV?

@pinhead1 Yes it probably needs a GFX card just get a cheap one with HDMI or you can find some type of adapter if that might work. I used my old pc too as a media player in my garage I connected the audio output to a stereo and played music on there. My friend connected his pc to his tv and just used a wireless keyboard and used it for internet because he said "theres nothing good on tv"

@pinhead1 Yes it probably needs a GFX card just get a cheap one with HDMI or you can find some type of adapter if that might work. I used my old pc too as a media player in my garage I connected the audio output to a stereo and played music on there. My friend connected his pc to his tv and just used a wireless keyboard and used it for internet because he said "theres nothing good on tv"
i would do the same if i came across something like this.....thanks for the info.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    Drogo has left the room.
    SmashXD has left the room.
    mrdarc has left the room.
    butterface5000 has left the room.
    Pinheads has left the room.
    helptv has left the room.
    joeboxer has left the room.
    Auleric has left the room.
    vizzone has left the room.
    Develop has left the room.
    Krusty104 has left the room.
    grh450 has left the room.
    redharry has left the room.
    kono87 has left the room.
    Blonderkarli has left the room.
    Seven Tigerz has left the room.
    onedevotee75 has left the room.
    rgmohr has left the room.
    teelegend has left the room.
    artmetz has left the room.
    chaoswar has left the room.
    jerseydude has left the room.
    Necat has left the room.
    SpaceFace70 has left the room.
    hannon904 has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hannon904 has left the room.
      Back