the dividing line

pinhead1

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
all good
just thought maybe you would be interested in this article.
i don't find much else to talk about because of the wrong direction everything is going..
the current events are front and center with me.
everything else can take a seat.
this is nothing new.
been melting down for decades.
we have always had outsourcing
i think it started getting worse in the early 80s when business started leaving taking jobs with them overseas because they got
tired of the constant rising costs of doing business here in the US.
if you don't want this talk anymore i'll drop it.

Last edited:
> tired of the constant rising costs of doing business here in the US.

I mean, that's one way to frame it, but another way is that profit & growth are absolute priorities of incorporated entities, and if they can't get it {right here}, then they're usually quite happy to go get it {over there}.

Which typically means that worker rights, fair living wages, stability of infrastructure, resisting collusion with fellow companies in order to set artificial pricing, and many other secondary aspects tend to be huge inconveniences in the craw of the ultra-wealthy who actively run capitalism.

If you've ever heard the phrase "living under capitalism is like living under a tyrant," then you probably know what I mean. Part of the idea is that when those at the top (i.e. the wealthiest) view the average person as an inconvenience at best, that's when you got trouble.

Here's a little story, though, one that kind of chilled my blood--

My stepdad (who was essentially my dad), was a high-level manager (started as a chemical engineer) at an oil refinery. I think at his highest level, he was the #3 man at the plant. Now I've always considered him a hard, but fair man, but he ain't no liberal, that's for sure. His standard appellation for the Democratic party of "The Dummycrats" still rings in my ears a bit, haha.

Anyway, sometimes he would share stories of what it was like when the oil company execs rolled through the local plant for an inspection or this or that, and it sounded truly terrifying. The relevant analogy is that these people were shark-like beings, completely full of themselves, only vaguely aware of whatever realities may be going on at the plant & worker level, and hyper-focused on whatever little agenda they might have, often in order to slash costs so as to look good to upper mgmt & shareholders.

My point here is that even a fairly classic conservative like my stepdad realised some things over time, including the notion that 'capitalism left to its own devices may sound like a workable idea, but may be anything but, in actual practice.'

Funny, that all reminded me a cartoon I saw the other day at an art-film fair. Here it is:

tired of the constant rising costs of doing business here in the US.
Isaac..>>>>>I mean, that's one way to frame it, but another way is that profit & growth are absolute priorities of
incorporated entities, and if they can't get it {right here}, then they're usually quite happy to go get it {over there}.>>>>>same thing.
i found the cartoon kind of amusing making the corporate fat cats to look like gluttonous pigs.
this is not the first time i have seen this kind of reference.
just an observation.

Last edited:
well, i can see this subject was of no interest.

i found the cartoon kind of amusing making the corporate fat cats to look like gluttonous pigs.
this is not the first time i have seen this kind of reference.
Yeah, that's nothing new, but the video's really about the other forces going on:

- the room being torn apart, exposed to harsh elements, all of which the pigs are oblivious to
- the serpent-like chains which keep the pigs in place
- the way the 'wood-chipper' machine works
- the servant (or is it the master?) running the show
- the cycle of the cats / revolution / tiger / downfall

There's enough material there to fuel a complete college course, or at least a few good lectures.

lol

Pinhead 1 is right. Unfortunately it was the start of a large push to globalism, but many didn't know it at that time. Why did those companys move overseas? Over-regulation made things too expensive. We all want clean air, water, and safe environments to work in, but there is a fine line of what's safe, and what's overkill. Intentional overkill was by design to make companies move away, by making things more expensive for them. Eventually, some companies will say screw it and move.

Yeah, that's nothing new, but the video's really about the other forces going on:

- the room being torn apart, exposed to harsh elements, all of which the pigs are oblivious to
- the serpent-like chains which keep the pigs in place
- the way the 'wood-chipper' machine works
- the servant (or is it the master?) running the show
- the cycle of the cats / revolution / tiger / downfall

There's enough material there to fuel a complete college course, or at least a few good lectures.

lol
>>>>>- the cycle of the cats / revolution / tiger / downfall<<<<
if you look close you can find a lot of similes and metaphors in the video.
what i saw was how the fat gluttons were feasting throwing the scraps off their plates to the cats (minimum wage crumbs)
the entire video is a metaphor.
just my observation.

Last edited:
>>>>>- the cycle of the cats / revolution / tiger / downfall<<<<
if you look close you can find a lot of similes and metaphors in the video.
what i saw was how the fat gluttons were feasting throwing the scraps off their plates to the cats (minimum wage crumbs)
the entire video is a metaphor.
just my observation.
Right... a collection of significant metaphors.
All with direct relevance to unfettered capitalism.

All with analogies that impact working peoples' ability to earn a proper living wage.

Are you saying then, PinHead1, that it can all be 'hand-waved' away just because it's a 'cartoon,' as if the cartoon didn't reference real, actual problems going on with Americans, and other peoples around the world?

Go ahead, mister loud & proud, chronic "FJB" Timmy Cheek-o:

Yes, matey-- let's see your body of financial experts observing that "over-regulation" in fact leads towards American financial gloom. Let's hear what your working idea of "over-regulation" is, anyway?

Oh, hey! Here's a random fact-- Tim, do you indeed have any *fluffing idea*, like anything at all, the shameless harm that corporations regularly do when LACKING oversight?

Would you like a massive list there, dude? Because I can swiftly find you one, "dude." :o

Last edited:
Right... a collection of significant metaphors.
All with direct relevance to unfettered capitalism.

All with analogies that impact working peoples' ability to earn a proper living wage.

Are you saying then, PinHead1, that it can all be 'hand-waved' away just because it's a 'cartoon,' as if the cartoon didn't reference real, actual problems going on with Americans, and other peoples around the world?
i'm not saying anything.
all i meant was the "cartoon" was full of metaphors on Corporate politics.
>>>>as if the cartoon didn't reference real, actual problems going on with Americans, and other peoples around the world?<<<<
you're right, these are real problems but there is nothing i can do about it.
people all over the world have been asking for changes and livable wages for thousands of years....yes, thousands of years
it has always been like this.
the only solution i have is to go to school and get an education or learn a trade or skill that pays on a
better pay scale.
learn to live within your pay-scale, don't go into debt and try to get along in this crazy chaotic world run
by criminally insane politics, money and greed.
sorry, didn't mean to anger you.
dude, there is nothing anybody can do when every local gov't agency, state and federal is dysfunctional.
it's pure insane chaos because of the crashed economy, insane inflation, global warming, drought, pollution, a war goin' on with that insane Russian and North Korean threatening nuclear.

Last edited:
Because most of us here are old
We have heard all these arguments a thousand times before
We know that ALL politicians are corrupt, we know that big business is only interested in the bottom line
Whining about it has never solved anything

Come up with a new idea, a workable solution. THEN you might get engagement

Because most of us here are old
We have heard all these arguments a thousand times before
We know that ALL politicians are corrupt, we know that big business is only interested in the bottom line
Whining about it has never solved anything

good point. oth,
i keep pluggin along.
this time it is much worse.
beyond bad.
there is nothing else to talk about.
good luck. we are goin' to need it.

Last edited:
This is some hella lazy, stupid BS, and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying that. All of you should be, in fact, including me.

Now why is that..?

it's ok, no problem.
this kind of hard core politics doesn't work here.
been kind of staying in the house out of the sun because of the freak heat.
it's really bad here.

Last edited:
it;s ok, no problem.
this kind of hard core politics doesn't work here.
let's get back to PB.
This is where we all go to get away from the politics!
This is our Pinball Sanctuary!
A place where all earthly troubles can be put to the side, and one can just relax, (for at least a few moments), away from it all.

Politics divide people.
I have seen it break up families, and even lifelong friendships.
All because of a clash with points of views, or opinions.
Everyone is different and has their own personal opinions.
That is what makes us great.
We are all individuals.
We are not robots where everyone thinks and does the same.
Why should we look down on someone for having a different opinion?
Or publicly shame someone, or treat them like they are a bad person, because they didn't vote for the same person you voted for?
Being able to have our own opinion is what makes us each unique and special!
It shouldn't disqualify a friendship, or make people think lesser of you.

Pinball brings everyone together.
This community is a band of pinball brothers and sisters, from all walks of life, who share at least one thing in common.
Our love for pinball.

Love conquers all.

This is where we all go to get away from the politics!
This is our Pinball Sanctuary!
A place where all earthly troubles can be put to the side, and one can just relax, (for at least a few moments), away from it all.

Politics divide people.
I have seen it break up families, and even lifelong friendships.
All because of a clash with points of views, or opinions.
Everyone is different and has their own personal opinions.
That is what makes us great.
We are all individuals.
We are not robots where everyone thinks and does the same.
Why should we look down on someone for having a different opinion?
Or publicly shame someone, or treat them like they are a bad person, because they didn't vote for the same person you voted for?
Being able to have our own opinion is what makes us each unique and special!
It shouldn't disqualify a friendship, or make people think lesser of you.

Pinball brings everyone together.
This community is a band of pinball brothers and sisters, from all walks of life, who share at least one thing in common.
Our love for pinball.

Love conquers all.
Well said Xenoph,

I agree completely Pinhead 1 that a lot about the world today is beyond repair, and the middle class and younger generations are struggling more than ever before. But it's on a global economic scale that would honestly, in my opinion, require almost every country and the world to stop being divided and drawing fake lines to separate us. Actually work together as HUMANS, treat everyone equally and come up with some modern and drastic changes. This world belongs to every one of us, and every animal. We should all have a fair say and a right to a basic quality of life. Sadly, I don't think it will ever happen. I think almost anyone would agree things need changing, even the rich. But most of us know that it's not worth dwelling about or wasting the short life that we are given here on this amazing oasis in the vastness of space.

I know I used to think about these things a lot, and talk about it all the time with family and friends. But overtime people got sick of always hearing about the same stuff. And I got sick of being depressed and always looking at the glass half full. Always thinking about the negatives of an outcome and the "what if" scenarios. After I changed how I think about things and go about my daily life I realized even though a lot of bad is happening all over, and basic rent and necessities is tougher than ever for sure, life is still amazing and there are a lot of good things in this world happening every day. You just need to look a little harder for it, and avoid big media who only report on the bad events in the world and make everything look a lot worse than it actually is.

I know discovering this amazing hobby and community 2 years ago for me has changed my life in a few ways. I've honestly been the happiest I've ever been before, having the most fun with a hobby since I started playing videogames as a kid. Having a tight knit group of like minded, passionate people for Pinball. Where we can all go to escape the crazy world we live in, and remember oh yeah, pinball exists and it's awesome! As long as the world isn't in flames or destroyed from nuclear war or global warming, I'll be here with my fellow brothers, playing pinball.

Love to all of my fellow pinballers, and this amazing community that we all collectively care about and contribute too.

Zuxif

xeno#17 and Z#18......
i agree to certain a point that some things can be put down and forget about it.
but this time we are talking about the world economy.
this is a serious problem that cannot just be put down and forgotten.
there is some really bad politics where i live that i can't describe how bad it is and what it has done to everybody..
it keeps getting worse as inflation keeps doing all the bad things it does....
i'm sure there are others here that can say the same where they live.
everything is getting more divided.
i can't just shake it off and forget about it.
ok, i'm done...carry on...lets play PB

Last edited:
Let me guess...if you're not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem...
Uff... I was a bit toasted the other night when I said that. You got me, and it's my bad.
Sorry, Steve. It's my total bad.

Me, I usually try to aim for the light, and I screwed it all up there, no?
I'm really sorry, mateys.

At the same time, it's so frustrating to me, seeing people say & do the most ridiculous things possible, that... it's still my bad. But even so-- I guess it doesn't matter... like, you have to let people have their say, RIGHT?

(sorry folks, sorry)

Nothings changed then Nic!

ok, you opened this can of worms.
you are right, nothing changes even over thousands of years.
history repeats with all the components we have today.
ask google on your PC why julius ceasar was assasinated.
read some of the links down the page.

Last edited:
nothing changes even over thousands of years.

The law of change states that nothing remains the same forever and everything is in a state of constant flux. It is a fundamental principle of the universe that governs everything in existence.

Artificial intelligence will provide the answer. :bye:

Attachments

• f309223cb22389728ecf111139b2ae68.jpg
    f309223cb22389728ecf111139b2ae68.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 6
steve.>>>>The law of change states that nothing remains the same forever and everything is in a state of constant flux. It is a fundamental principle of the universe that governs everything in existence.
Artificial intelligence will provide the answer.>>>>>
well, that goes the same for that corny "law of change" you just quoted.
i don't care what law or what wise man said that.
money power and greed has not changed one little bit.
it was much worse way back.
way back then if you were born a slave you died a slave @25yrs old or when your uselfulness is gone
then buried in a mass grave with the other slaves.
now we have humanitarian laws which are not always honored.
where do you get this stuff?

Last edited:
Life expectancy seems to have changed for the better.

Variation over time
EraLife expectancy at birth in years
19th-century world average28.5–32
1900 world average31–32
1950 world average45.7–48
2019–2020 world average72.6–73.2

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: ipjnirvana has left the room.
      Back