Yeah, just for pc. Seems good, pretty smooth on my 5 year old old pc. More games etc. I got the max version, so a lot of arcade and console games. huge though, 102 gigs.

So.... I spent a bit of today playing around with Windows on the Steam Deck.

I was using a 128GB SSD I had laying around and put that in a usb c enclosure, and then connected that to my dock (with a C to A cable). I then connected my USB mouse / keyboard to the dock and used my TV as the main screen once I was up and running. (I'm still waiting for my spare 512GB sd card to use as a Windows drive).

I made a bootable Windows image using rufus. Booted up Windows then installed all the SD drivers from Valve. The only big issue I found was that valve's GPU driver doesn't install AMD Adrenaline (their control panel app). Without that you are more limited to what you can do. So I had to download the latest normal AMD Adrenaline drivers, and use 7zip to extract the file, and manually install the Adrenaline app myself. I still find that AMD's video output to a 4K tv is finnicky with Windows as it tries to output to the max res of the TV and scale all resolutions to that with little control over it...which is a pain as it tend to default to 30Hz for higher resolution video signals. (nvidia does this MUCH better). When using just the SD screen, its no big deal, and when using SteamOS it sems to work better for when doing this kind of stuff. Typical AMD Windows drivers issues.

One thing to remember is that each time you need to Restart Windows, you need to shut down the SD, and then power up to the BOOT Menu again when using a portable external Windows drive (and it would be similar if doing the same with an SD card).

I installed Baller Installer, then all Visual C++ updates, then updated BAM and patched it for 4 GB, and installed all my own new releases and pup-packs etc, since they will be the most demanding tables.

Here's what I have found with FP-BAM on Steam Deck in Windows:

- when using multiple screens on the SD in Windows.... FP does NOT want to use the main primary monitor (no matter DISPLAY # you use) when using fullscreen. If running FP windowed it works fine with multiple monitors (I have no issue getting this to work on my cabinet and other PCs).
- using a single screen (on the deck or a TV, etc) FP runs fine in fullscreen in the SD's native 1280x800 (I had to create that resolution for my TV's display using Adrenaline) or higher resolutions if you monitor / tv supports it. Going higher than 1920x1080 on newer tables is really pushing it.
- I was able to run tables very nicely in 1280x800 with everything almost maxed out in FP settings, including ray cast shadows. The settings below are what I found works best

1669611419107.png

- while on a 61 inch TV that may not look great... on the SD's screen, it looks amazing! Especially on my newer PinEvent V2 tables like Sonic, Star Wars DSA GE, etc
- I found that VSYNC just won't work right in FP, or when using AMD Adrenaline to force it, etc. The only way I was able to get the smoothest gameplay was having VSYNC off (whereas with nvidia, it runs rock solid with vsync on)... but that is not ideal
- PinEvent pup-packs run fine on a second screen, but enabling pupstream will almost always end in a crash within 10 secs
- I enable the newer Steam Deck Game Mode UI for Steam in Windows by adding the following on the Steam shortcut

1669611905339.png

- by doing this you get the new much better Game Mode UI instead of the old blue Big Picture Mode. This will allow you to have almost similar functionality in Windows (but still lacking Decky, and other plugins). This is great as it allows you to use the Steam Deck's built-in very powerful controller mapping interface to map any of the SD's controls however you want in FP. Just add FP to Steam, then you can make the changes from its main screen in steam, and afterward while playing in FP.
- I had everything mapped nicely and using the triggers for flippers which also had haptic feedback. I also used the extra back paddle buttons for flippers buttons when playing in vertical / portrait mode... as well as adding on-screen touch controls for flipper buttons as well!

FP looks amazing on the SD, and being able to dynamically change camera views when you want in desktop or cabinet / portrait view, and you can also change back and forth from Force Arcade Mode to normal view on the fly (when playing vertical / portrait).... and use the controls however you want... or use another controller / gamepad... it works so well! Like I was playing in normal desktop / landscape mode... and being able to use the triggers for flippers... they just work perfect on the SD.

Seeing your own creations on the SD and being able to play them anywhere is really cool! When running in 1280x800.... FP-BAM looks and plays amazing... and that includes the latest FizX Pinevent V2 tables with the 8K ball, and all bells and whistles!

Last edited:
Thanks terry. I will try them out when I get the deck. Oddly enough, I rearranged my various setups, and finally got fp to work with cabinet mode and a working backglass with my old gaming laptop. For some reason, fp refuses to display the pf on anything but display one, which is attached to my laptop and not really playable because it's sideways. So, now I have 3 monitors hooked up, my laptop and a ips in vertical mode, and a spare display for the bg. It sort of works, but have to start configuration now.

I also will hook up my 2 player legends pro controller, it has the pinball buttons on the side, so maybe I will finally get serious and play/develop more games, now that I can test them properly.

As to steam deck, hopefully it will show up soon, as we are expecting a huge dump of snow here. Normally it doesn't snow much, but this year has been so weird I shouldn't be surprised.

Just came in. :) Day early to boot. Now excuse me while I disappear for a couple months. :)

I know you are in the zone.... but... thoughts so far?

Okay, lets see... Lets start with the...

Negatives...

- Linux is a pain in the ass. Even this so called easy version is overly complex and no where as user friendly as windows. There, I said it.
- The os isn't rock solid state. Several times, the system crashed on me... BUT, a new Proton Next version came today and was uploaded, and I have had no problems since.
- There's a bit of a learning curve, but I am getting there. At the moment, I'm seeing what hardware works, and what doesn't. The external monitor though was a adventure, if I set my external monitor to a res higher than the steam deck, I lose my entire bottom menu bar in desktop mode. This is a common bug, and the solution posted did not fix it, so I just kept it at steam deck res. From what I understand, it works fine in steam mode, but still, Disappointing.
- You need a mouse and keyboard. Full stop. Between that tiny screen, and a couple questionable control schemes from valve, it becomes very fustrating very fast with things like selecting a mass number of files and then moving them. You can change the controls, but just get the mouse and keyboard, makes your life far more pleasant.
- As to the hardware. Valve did a incredible job, but you have to wonder because there are a couple flaws that could be quite easy to fix.
* The first, and biggest one is one input, the usbc, and you need that for power. Even a usb 2.0 as a addition would be better. I expect with a future new version they will not make that mistake again.
* The second is the power adapter being with a fixed cable. Not only does that mean that if you bust the wire, you need to buy a new adapter, but it also uses up a lot more space in your bag as the prongs are fixed. The steam deck is portable after all
* The case is nice, but all you can carry is the deck, and not the adapter, which kind of makes no sense. I'm certainly not going to use that little side strap, not very secure.
* The top 2 buttons, used for the menu selectition, or most notably the start and select buttons for games, are just to small. I will remap them, but I kept missing them with my sausage fingers. Acxtually, there's too many buttons, I constantly forget which buttons do what, like I had to look up on the internet how to exit games (press that start and select buttons at the same time) and still have no idea is the back 4 buttons actually do anything

The good stuff
- Everything else so far. The controllers are very very good, even the thumbsticks. The unit is pretty quiet as well, which surprised me, but then haven't had time to play a triple A game.

What I found out. Additional hardware makes a difference
* As mentioned, a keyboard and a mouse are badly needed if you want to do anything else other than play games, especially in desktop mode. The touchscreen works, but it is a bit small for my fingers so I never could "touch" a small text or icon.
* A good hub, even if you plan to get a dock. Mine is a ankar hub, with 2 usb-c, 2 USB 3.1, a sd slot for mini and full sized sd cards, hdmi 2.0 out. This can take 100 watts, was only about 60 dollars.
* Storage of course. The SSD is wonderful, my 512 gb sd card is wonderful, and I am going to need more storage very soon.
* As Tim the tool man Taylor said "More Power". The steam deck is 45 watts, and it takes all of it. I'm going to be running a lot of things, so I need more power, so just picked up a iQ 140w power charger to run everything. This has 2 usb-c pd ports either 100watts, or 60 watts each if both are being used at the same time, but also 2 usb 3.1 ports that serve 20 watts as well. No more power problems, as I have 2 external drives, usb keys, and in a little bit, the JSAUX m2 dock with a ssd drive.

At the moment, loading in "stuff" before I start with tools like Power tools etc. :lol:

Great unit so far in other words, you end up concentrating on the bad things first, but everything is a learning curve. I've never used linux before, so be time before I get my head wrapped around in. Gonna be a awesome unit for pinball playing, but I also think it's not going to replace my main computer anytime. It is a real fingerprint magnet though....

Yah, I would say I had similar experiences at first. I too would have preferred one more type C input at the least, which is why I use the magnetic adapters to avoid any issues (and it works great).

Linux for me is fairly new to use (despite doing RedHat courses for work). Its certainly not as friendly to anyone who is used to Windows. That said... that is coming from the pov if you are someone who would use the Desktop mode a lot. In Game Mode (and playing games mostly), its not as much an issue once you have things update and setup for most of what is needed.... but it's definitely a learning curve for sure!

You do really want a dock, and "need" a keyboard and mouse. I have a BT version of both that work great with the SD.... but its still handy to have a traditional usb version of both for Windows setup, etc.

You definitely "need" better versions of Proton, such as ProtonGE installed (highly recommended). After installing that, many games that wouldn't work before I was able to get to run. Sometimes, you need to install Visual C++, DirectX, etc for each game you need, and that can be done from the Steam OS Game Mode if needed as well (just point your game to the Visual C++ / DirectX installers, run them, then change it back to your game exe).

Once you are more familiar with how Linux and SteamOS and GameMode works... it much easier after that. Once you are fully setup with everything needed, etc... then its just installing games / apps and playing for the most part. For the games that don't want to work, then you can easily use a Windows SD card / SSD, or do a dual boot in the internal M.2 if you really want.

I find for the more tedious stuff, its MUCH better to use it with my dock on my 4K TV (which works great in Linux Desktop mode and GameMode... Windows is more a pain here). Then I can use mouse / keyboard / gamepad to install / test stuff as needed and be able to see easier.

The hardware I personally love. The controls / layout are exactly what I've always wanted, and I am surprised how comfy this thing is to hold and play on.

There's still much more to be done on the Windows side.... but I've seen many updates and improvements constantly coming out on this thing on the SteamOS side more.

It took a couple of weeks to get to a point that I was familiar with it all and very happy with my setup on it. I have the 512 GB version with a 1TB SD card... so I have.... alot of stuff installed. :) My spare 512 GB SD card for Windows only stuff comes later today.... so once I pay around with that alot.... it will help me determine if I want to bother with a dual boot from the internal drive or not.

Yeah, I just have had my steam deck for one full day, so I guess not bad for me. Once I learn and get comfortable with it, then things will be better and better.

More storage the better. London drugs were selling the wd black 4tb drive for 160, was sorely tempted. I think a bigger case is needed for all this stuff, the tomtac bag is sold out, but you can get larger camera bags with lots of padding for the same price as well.

At the moment, I have 869 games in for emulation already in. :)

Next couple days, is the plug-in downloads, and then the pinball stuff. I guess bam still doesn't work in steam deck unless it's dual booted into windows?

I haven't seen anyone getting FP-BAM working Linux, no... but I'm sure not many have tried recently either. :) I couldn't get BAM working in Linux.

I'm sure it can be done. might require help from the people that do that kind of stuff. Sure would be real nice to have, not only to play our games, but expand our audience and user base as well.

As far as I know, much like having the windows subsystem for linux (only decent M$ idea all this time) for windows stuff you'll need a layer of emulation like Proton.

It may have advanced far enough now that allows FP to run... probably slower.

There are many versions of Proton now (this is what allows Steam to run PC Games nicely in the SD in Linux), and vanilla FP runs great in Linux. It's specifically getting BAM to work in Linux that is the issue. After a table is loaded, I'll see the table start and appear for 1 sec, but then FP crashes and closes.

Maybe rav can help with that... I hope :)

Actually Terry, that sounds like a very common problem a lot of us have had for years, table starts then crashes. Built in graphics? The Steam deck does have a apu after all. Does that program that expands the graphics memory work in steam deck, because maybe the overhead in SD is too much. (There's a setting somewhere that allows you to add more graphics memory, up to 4 gigs if I remember correctly.) I have decky installed, so maybe I will look for that plugin. I have power tools in already, which greatly helps, but I haven't played with it yet, and I have come across others.
Did you run a small file sized table? Maybe send a crash report to Rav, if BAM generates one from steam deck.

I tested with New Table. I think it's more related to extra Windows files / dlls / Visual C++, etc that BAM specifically needs to run compared to vanilla FP. I don't think its specific to the APU's capabilities or setup. I tried manually installing whatever I could think of that BAM would need.... but I think there is more beyond that.

Yeah, maybe. Best we can do is keep a eye on it, see if Rav says anything, and maybe find someone with more experience with getting games to work in steam deck and ask for help.

Should mention I have asked the other admins about having a section for Steam Deck support, as vpx does work in SD. Maybe that would help with BAM support with new members coming in with more knowledge than the two of us.

My daughters boyfriend has one so, next time he comes here i hope he brings it so we can tinker with this :D
I already hinted him to not forget about this :D

Thumbs up. It's a very fun little unit, surprisingly powerful. I can see already I will be using it more and more as I get the hardware to what I need over time, and once I get over Linux use it with a external monitor and start doing other programs. I already know a couple people who are heavy into emulation (and pinball) so they will be quite interested.

The only problem for them is they will want one more than likely, and though Valve can now supply units in a fast manner, it appears the basic 64 gig model has sold so well that there is a delay on shipment of about a month. It may never do switch numbers, but it will sell quite well, especially when they allow retail stores to sell them. As a little hint, the 256 and 512 units take a week, just in time for a early christmas present to yourself... :)

For sure this is a "PC Gamers" console / handheld device. If you stuck to only Steam Games that are completely SD verified and only played Steam Games... then this can be a pretty easy to use plug and play unit, and you can use it for Remote Play streaming as well.

If you want to go beyond that for "PC" like stuff / emulation... then if using SteamOS, you need to invest time to get to know that. Luckily, there is A LOT of support forums / topics videos for this thing everywhere.

The hardware is great. The layout / controls is my favorite compared to other gamepads / handhelds by far (I hate the Switch like layouts of all other units... not comfy at all).

The software / OS side is getting better month by month.

For emulation / retro gaming... this thing is a beast. The sheer amount of everything you can play on it as a handheld device is very impressive. Switch / WiiU / PS3 games look and play great on this thing... and also supporting touch controls for said games.

Many people will tell you the same thing. It's changed how they play PC Games. Its not for everyone.... but for those it is for... they LOVE this thing. Being an open system just opens up so many possibilities.

Just adding Videos due to my bad memory

Windows install

Basic settings run through.

emudeck
emudeck by emulator

Steam deck and AtGames pinball legends

I definitely want one but i'm resisting the temptation.
It just doesn't make any sense and I should probably ignore this thread :D

Sure, you say that now... :)

Even the controller is fantastic. Pressure sensitive, haptic feedback, you can even "zip" the mouse cursor. Best controller I have ever used, though the triggers on the ps5 are better. Steam really did a bang up job. I'm just finished setting up remote play and cloud save files (though some games do not support cloud saves) so I can transfere save files from PC to steam deck and back.
I use the controller for remote play for my PC games now instead of my xbox controller. Far better. Valve made it real easy, as all my games on steam deck show up on my library using my pc.

Nice thing about emudeck... Not only does it make decky (the plugin manager) real easy, you can also grab Power tools. It also compresses files on wii (which works wonderful now) n64 and a couple other emulators. It even replaced my iso files with better file formats. Just outstanding, I must have saved a good 10 gigs on my card.

It's a physical thing. As good as the controllers are (I have a valve index which I believe uses the same tech on the remotes) the use of thumbs is currently a problem for prolonged use... you know, motorcycle accidents and all..

It's a physical thing. As good as the controllers are (I have a valve index which I believe uses the same tech on the remotes) the use of thumbs is currently a problem for prolonged use... you know, motorcycle accidents and all..
Shame. I have my problems as well. So what do you use then for games?

DIY arcade controller, no thumbs required ;) Or a keyboard (for zx spectrum games ;) )

In any case, I rarely play for more than 30m at a time, if at all. I can't use the switch controllers either. Too damn small so I bought an 8bit do sn30+ controller so I could play Mario Kart 8... been a while now since I last played it too :(

I tend to save my hands for the guitar nowadays and again... depending on the day 30m or less.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      xenonph @ xenonph: @oilpainter27 find here...
      Back