TWO in ONE PART THREE

druadic

20+ YEARS as a VP author. How time flies...
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Anything before 1939 (pre war), Firepower II, Agents 777
Any ideas folks? Give me the names of machines you would like to see side by side on the screen for VP8!

This is my first post here since I've come back so I apologize for the long wait for those who wanted to hear from me!

I will also be working on my 1st homebrew table called:

The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension

I have plenty of images, ideas and what not but need more images! If you have any or could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!!! :help:

Currently, Variety, 1931 by Atlas Indicator Works has taken all of my time from redrawing. It's coming along beautifully and I hope soon to release it.

Apart from all of this, PLEASE post for any ideas concerning a "Two in One Three" release. No ideas will be chucked or ignored!

Thanks again.

Will
aka druadic:wave:

Do people really still use VP8?

It's like playing with an Atari 2600 when you have a PS3.

I like the Atari 2600. And yes people still play with that.

There are a lot of tables that don't play with VP9. Yes, people still play those tables.

VP9 may be more advanced in some areas, but the difference is not like 2600 vs PS3. I wonder what some people were really thinking when they said some of the VP tables before 9 were great.

There is certainly no reason to try to belittle someone for using a program that works for what they want to play, and not for them to create more with that program in my opinion.

VP9 has caused an attitude towards VP before that and towards the community that still sees the good in VP before it. It's not a good thing, and I just don't understand it one bit.

Heck, I still use VP6 & VP7. A lot of the older tables at IR Pinball won't play without it.

Buckaroo Banzai sounds like a great theme for a pinball table, I have the movie. :)

Do people really still use VP8?

It's like playing with an Atari 2600 when you have a PS3.

Yes, I still use VP8 to play tables. How else am I going to play the 3000 original tables that I have in my collection, including your DareDevil original table BTW. There is no way I could convert all these VP8 and older original tables to VP9 on my own, I just don't have that much free time. ;)

Will, I sent you an image of Magic Bagatelle that might go great as half of a 2-in-1. It seems like just the sort of odd style game you enjoy making. And yes, from a recent poll, there are lots of folks who haven't even tried VP9 yet. I'm using VP9 for now, but could easily go back to 8.1 if that seems to work better for me.

LOL, that got some comments!

OK, VP8 is still needed to play old tables.... But why create a new table with VP8? If you thought no one cared about flipperless in the past, then creating them with VP8 will make them even more obscure than they already are. This also means you can't use any of the newer features in VP9 now or in the future. This seems to be a flipperless thing to do, IMO.

I can answer your question Bob...

As nudging is most important to the gameplay of any flipperless recreation, VP8 is the only choice, whilst VP9 has vastly inferior screwed up nudge physics. ;)

LOL, that got some comments!

OK, VP8 is still needed to play old tables.... But why create a new table with VP8? If you thought no one cared about flipperless in the past, then creating them with VP8 will make them even more obscure than they already are. This also means you can't use any of the newer features in VP9 now or in the future. This seems to be a flipperless thing to do, IMO.

I am using 9.09 so I can use some of the new features, now that we have documentation. But I'm still not yet convinced it's the best way for me to make tables. I can't imagine using VP9 making my tables any more interesting to the vast majority of players, which is why I make what I enjoy. The fun for me is in solving problems and playtesting to kill potential bugs. But druadic's 2-in-1 tables do deserve more attentiom than they get.

You're right Steve! I already had my say about the nudging and I had to either accept it or throw VP9 into the recycle bin. I now treat it as a video pinball experience having nothing to do with real life, unless you have a Nanotech nudging device..... I don't have one, don't want one and Mr Foley still sucks!

Nudging is pretty important with flippered tables as well. Flipper orientation is important too.

I don't think David sucks though. I think his program with VP served him well, and I think his intention judging by what he has wrote was that it would be adapted to the community when released, instead of the community adapting to it, which is something that is never going to happen on a large scale, and something that should not be expected, or asked of the community.

What does VP8 really need that VP9 has, if you do not build a cabinet and spend hundreds more on hardware, besides the flipper fix and higher resolution graphics support? For that matter what does VP9 have besides these that are needed for improved desktop play? Does it have anything that hinders this? It does.

Randy did the best he could at providing this, as well as maintaining that, and I for one am sorry to see it come to what it has and those efforts thrown out. Not because I do not have the niche hardware, but because none of the fans that I have turned on to VP over the years do. And I have recommended VP to a lot of people, installed it for a lot of friends and family. Would I recommend they drop VP for the new VP9 and render their games which include the ones I have made unplayable? No, I wouldn't. Who would? I might suggest they try it as well, but never ever drop VP6.1 through VP8.1 for it. For them it would not be a net loss, it would be a total loss.

I don't feel as much like simulating pinball when I work with 9 than I do trying to emulate a simulation on my monitor and keyboard, and every effort has failed to some degree.

That is why most of my WIPs have nothing to do with pinball these days.

Attachments

• screenshot101.png
    screenshot101.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 269
  • screenshot110.png
    screenshot110.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 260
  • screenshot111.png
    screenshot111.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 257
  • screenshot113.png
    screenshot113.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 254
  • ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 276
  • screenshot100.png
    screenshot100.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 253
  • omrace.png
    omrace.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Any ideas folks? Give me the names of machines you would like to see side by side on the screen for VP8!

Apart from all of this, PLEASE post for any ideas concerning a "Two in One Three" release. No ideas will be chucked or ignored!

Thanks again.

Will
aka druadic:wave:

To get back on topic.... I don't like the idea of putting 2 different games on the same screen in VP. It makes both games smaller in dimension and serves no purpose other than having 2 games on the screen at the same time. I mean, it's not like you're playing both at the same time.

I've been using VP-Man lately as a frontend and it is really cool, you cycle through game names or screenshots or favorites or categories and then you can even set VP-man to Play&Exit VP, this means you load a game, play it, hit ESC and the game disappears and the editor disappears and you're right back looking at the VP-Man screen to do it again. This means it's so easy to go from game to game that you wouldn't want or need 2 games on the same screen at the same time.

I have VP-Man on my second monitor, so it's like having a control station sitting there to play your tables or VP creations.

You can also set it to open a table with VP8 or VP9 or whatever you want, so it's smarter than a lot of VP'ers.

About the best thing I could think of would be two halves of the same table. Joust or one that plays like it.

I'm very old school and don't use a front end. I tried them when they first came out, but I hate being told what to do, so I ditched them. I personally like Will's 2 in 1 series, because I get to play two games without quitting to the VP editor between games. The fact that the 4 games Will has done so far are all good, tough challenges. If there was some way I could put two bagatelle on one screen, I'd do it just to bug my buddy SpiderBob!!!

I like the Atari 2600. And yes people still play with that.

There are a lot of tables that don't play with VP9. Yes, people still play those tables.

VP9 may be more advanced in some areas, but the difference is not like 2600 vs PS3. I wonder what some people were really thinking when they said some of the VP tables before 9 were great.

There is certainly no reason to try to belittle someone for using a program that works for what they want to play, and not for them to create more with that program in my opinion.

VP9 has caused an attitude towards VP before that and towards the community that still sees the good in VP before it. It's not a good thing, and I just don't understand it one bit.

Shockman;

AMEN BRO - the 2600 is awesome. The PS3 I can't stand. Graphics are NOTHING - it's the gameplay that counts ;)

I use VP8 for one reason; VP9 is too unstable.

druadic:p\'n\'l:

I'm very old school and don't use a front end. I tried them when they first came out, but I hate being told what to do, so I ditched them. I personally like Will's 2 in 1 series, because I get to play two games without quitting to the VP editor between games. The fact that the 4 games Will has done so far are all good, tough challenges. If there was some way I could put two bagatelle on one screen, I'd do it just to bug my buddy SpiderBob!!!

John;

First off, thanks for fixing the problem of not posting. Thanx :dance:

Secondly, I LOVED the 2 in 1 games simply because you could play BOTH machines at one time using the same screen. I will be making a few more of these since they were quite popular in the past.

2 in 1 THREE: Flip Skill / ???

2 in 1 FOUR: ??? / ???

What I have so far!

Thanks for the posts folks. I do appreciate them even if some are off topic and yes like I said, I do use VP8 - I deleted VP9 from my system since it refuses to work correctly.

StevOz; I bow down to you 2 show my respect for your post. VP8 is the only way to go (it seems) for flipperless recreations. :cheers:

LiteUser; I plan on making some really cool things for this table. I'd like to drop a video "window" into the playfield of this homebrew. Bumpers will use the "88" from Buckaroo's jet propelled car. I have some ideas on making the ball pass through different areas of the machine just like his car. Thus, the ball will change into something else. Spelling "Buckaroo" will advance further exploration into the table. Spelling "Banzai" will advance bonuses.
I have A LOT in store for this one but still need to find some good WAV files. I have the "Team March" which I plan on having load when the game first starts and a video "window" showing some neat things. The PF will also change between out dimension and the 8th. It will be a neat WIP. :rockon:

John, I also got your images via email. Thanks pal. Let me see if I can get some of these put into a 2 in 1 for you and give you some pointers. I think these little hand held games would be awesome for this. Give me a little time with Variety and I'll jump onto this for you - just a "thank you" for helping me through all of this :colors:

Thanks again guys for the posts! Appreciated.

Will
aka druadic

Will, if you can use those images, they're yours. I've got more than enough to keep me busy, since I am still using 9.09.

Slightly off topic, but....

:welcome2:
BACK, WiLL!!

Your post in this thread is the first one in over 7 years, I'm glad that you are ok.

:salut::hulagirls:

Last edited:
Heya JPH!!!!!

Slightly off topic, but....

:welcome2:
BACK, WiLL!!

Your post in this thread is the first one in over 7 years, I'm glad that you are ok.

:salut::hulagirls:

JPH!!!!

It's so good to know you are still around pal! Just hope I can get back into some true blue, blue blood flipperless gaming again!

Don't be a stranger! POST! :cheers:

I'm around pal! PLEASE do keep in touch!!!

Will
aka druadic

Will, if you can use those images, they're yours. I've got more than enough to keep me busy, since I am still using 9.09.

Thanks John. I'll see what I can do.

After I get Variety done, I plan on making a TOTALLY FLAT version for myself so I can play it on my wide screen Samsung 900NW monitor. I am going to build a FLIPPERLESS gamebox just like the folks over at VPF. I'm going to do this with most of my old releases for my gamebox. I'm planning on redrawing it from left to right to fill the screen.

Still, I would like to do a few 2 in 1 games for the hell of it. We'll have to see.

D

what you could do is have one visible then after a certain event (like dropping a wall to open a tunnel or something, have that second one appear!) I had been thinking of that having droppable walls to open new pin, many of my pins use that idea but only for new areas, not an entire pin!

Faralos;

Funny you should mention this! I had an idea to try to do that to make 4 to 6 machines on one VP program!

I almost had one finished when my older PC ate it!!!

I think I had 6 standup coin op machines and the proggie would flip through the images as to pick the one you wanted to play.

Too bad it's gone. I may try that once again sometime.

d

Let me know when you start it, I would like to help with the graphics if you let me! I am posting my table up here as well (the contest between me and Itchigo ending Thursday Nov. 25th) if you want to give a look see at some of my graphic capability! I can only use the VP editor and Gimp2, though.

Faralos;

That looks cool as hell. I have NEVER done homebrews. I am interested enough if some other folks want to do a collaboration on a table though!

There are a few tables I would like to make from PC games actually like Wizardry, Quake, Arx Fatalis or System Shock 2. Maybe even Thief!

Who knows. Any ideas? I like your work very much. Maybe even Blood by Monolith? Hexen 2?

Let me know. I would like to see something come out of this :)

Will
aka druadic

PS: This post was SUPPOSED to be on another area. My bad Faralos! Let me know though! It was SUPPOSED to be in the area of TWO in ONE THREE. OOPS!

Moved it for you Will. No charge this time!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Killabot has left the room.
      Back