Update: Health, and why some updates / releases are held off or taking longer than originally expected.

TerryRed

Pinball Master
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
My Virtual Pinball Cabinet
I mentioned a while back that I've been "sick" with extreme vertigo / headaches that has kept me from doing a lot of what I normally do (play VR, play at my cabinet, play PC games, etc).

This has continued for months, but has slowly been getting better... but I'm still far from "normal". It wasn't until last week when I was finally able to see a neurologist, and get an MRI that they finally were able to determine what is going on.

Turns out, I had a stroke (in my brain)... and this is why I've had non-stop headaches for months, and the vertigo, etc. Now I'm not even allowed to drive anywhere.

This is part of why my recent releases / quick updates have not been getting DOF / full PinEvent releases yet, as it's too hard to do much at the cabinet right now.... as it causes my headaches to get worse, and I need to take it easy when that happens.

So at XMAS, I decided to take a brief break from finishing Silent Hill (which still has a lot of work) to do a few quick table updates.... and now Sonic.... as those I can currently do... and I needed something "fun / uplifting" that won't take too long to do.

My plan is to finish Sonic with maybe a few new modes and release that, then maybe one other quick table update. No PinEvent updates for these right away, as I need to update PinEvent itself and all current PinEvent table / pup-pack releases as well to the new update standard.

The next version of PinEvent will be more of a "refinement" to keep things much simpler, and remove features that are not really being used (like Profiles), update under the hood code and commands I use for SSF and other things, and also to now only support FullDMD and FullDMD on BG. I will be removing all support for real DMD and LCD DMD for all tables (it was always a compromise to add those, and more work for little benefit as I design for FullDMD). Real DMD and LCD DMD users can now be supported with DMDExt 1.9 (for most tables), so those users will get the best of both worlds (DMDExt, and FullDMD on BG).

Tables like Silent Hill and RetroFlair 2 take WAY more time than 95% of the typical tables you see on FP and VPX (both of these are like multiple tables in one).... but I assure you they WILL be completed at some point... and they will be much better tables than I ever imagined doing when I started them.

Don't worry... I'm not pushing myself or anything. What I work on now is something I can do that keeps me sane in the mean time.

All good things come to those who wait... and I more than anyone can't wait until that happens.

Heavy stuff. I would stop completely until that was sorted out.
I wish well, again, hoping for a quick recovery too.

I haven't touched VR in over a year now, probably, because of my eyes (that just got worse.. found out yesterday) and I understand the headaches looking at flashing lights very well.

That said, we still want to play silent hill and sonic in the future, but please no pressure ok? Do try to refrain as much as possible. Health issues should not be taken lightly.

Hi Terry ,
Thanks for the update.
I wish you the best ! Pm me anytime if you need someone to talk to or we can speak on the phone.

Regards,
Bob

Geez I'm sorry to hear that, altho it's good to know that now you have surety, and likely a better plan (including meds) going forward.

Cardiovascular events are a big risk factor for me personally, which is part of why I supplement my meds with heavy amounts of garlic and capsaicin (edit: whoops, forgot fish oil). Pushing through my CFS/ME to do exercise on a regular basis is also no doubt key.

Anyway, glad you've found the right middle-ground of activities to occupy your time. Getting that part right is such a valuable thing as one ages, it seems to me.

Last edited:
Thanks gents.

I'm not pushing myself, or doing anything that stresses me (which is why PinEvent updates are coming later)... and I take breaks or stop as needed. Luckily my PC that I create everything on is connected to my TV at my happy place in my basement / game room (and I sit on my cheap IKEA chair that makes me feel most comfortable).

The hard part right now, is I can't do too much stuff physically for too long, or I get more headaches / lightheaded. I'll be wearing an EKG for weeks... yuck. (I already wore it for 2 days, and its itchy). I also have my own blood pressure machine, yay! ;)

I am taking some meds.. and luckily because I'm in the military, I don't have to worry about income because I can't come into work for a long while (its been months already). Funny thing is... I "can't" go to my work once I wear that EKG, as due to the nature of my job, no electronic devices are allowed at the station. (they would have to go through hoops to "scan" me, or to let me leave, lol)

Last edited:
So there's a positive said even in bad things huh? :D

Seriously, got to keep looking for positives small as they come when things not going all that well.

Ya I had to wear the ole holter monitor for a couple of days a few years back myself....they can be a little cumbersome

If I was as articulate as you after having a stoke (in my brain)...
You should consider yourself blessed, I am not a religions person by any stretch of the imagination.
But the stars are still shining on you, all the best for your speedy recovery.
It is only a road you can travel yourself, see ya on the other side.
All the best!!, cheers!

Latest update....

After loads of tests... the most recent test is a Cardio Gram. They basically shove a camera tube down your throat and do an ultrasound of your heart.

Turns out, I have a PFO.

@Gimli will probably know what it is... but basically I have a passage between the two halves of my heart that should be closed, but its open and large (this is a PFO). This allows blood to flow where it shouldn't and they think this is the problem that caused the stroke,etc.

So I'm now waiting for a procedure, where they go in through an artery in my leg with a tool and work their way up into my heart and put a "stopper" there that will close up the PFO.

Fun stuff... but if it stops this problem and prevents future strokes, then I guess it was better to find out about this at my age, and not when I'm older.

It sounds like the doctors have had some difficulty figuring out what was wrong. I was thinking we might cowrite a troubleshooting guide for FP but that can wait.

Best wishes!

Hi Terry I am glad they are sorting it out.
The TEE Trans esophageal echocardiogram should give a clearer image of the patent foramen ovale . I do have a patient who has one of the those occluding devices for more than 10 yrs. She is an RN and would likely talk with you about it

Last edited:
Hi Terry I am glad they are sorting it out.
The TEO Trans esophageal echocardiogram should give a clearer image of the patent foramen ovale . I do have a patient who has one of the those occluding devices for more than 10 yrs. She is an RN and would likely talk with you about it
If I understand correctly, a PFO would also allow arterial and venous blood to mix to some extent.

If that's correct, would a successfully-placed device also lead to higher-oxygen count in the blood, tending to make the patient feel better?

If I understand correctly, a PFO would also allow arterial and venous blood to mix to some extent.

If that's correct, would a successfully-placed device also lead to higher-oxygen count in the blood, tending to make the patient feel better?
Perhaps …the defect is atrial septum I believe and as left sided pressures are higher then any shunting would be oxygenated blood going to the right side to join blood that is about to be oxygenated so the net effect may not be much. Terry has had this his whole life and my pt was diagnosed in her 20’s and was and is very healthy of course I felt bad that I hadn’t heard a murmur on any of her previous appointments

Yah, like Gimli said... I probably had this my whole life. The opening is something that is supposed to "close up" naturally in our early years, but for a small % of people, it doesn't close up.

Up until this happened.... nothing really stood out to me. I mean, I joined the military at 37 (almost 49 now) and was very fit until recently. I did notice at times in the past I experienced short bits of what I know now as vertigo (like waking up in the night and needing to "re-focus" until the vertigo was gone). Since it was a semi-regular thing that was very short and never bothersome.... never thought much of it. Until of course I had the stroke and had vertigo non-stop for weeks.

Given that my headaches were always worse when I woke up from sleep if I was lying down like normal (as opposed to falling sleep vertically in my chair, and it was better for my headaches)... it makes sense that this may have been a big factor in all this.

@TerryRed,
This is perhaps proselytising on my part, but I'm a big fan of garlic for helping prevent vascular events, like stroke & heart attack. My mom's side has absurdly high genetic cholesterol & triglycerides in the blood, and I personally drank a lot in my 40's, adding sustained high blood pressure for extended periods.

Point is, it's downright unusual in some ways that I haven't had a vascular event by now, and I'll be 56 later this month. But I started hitting cooked (and raw) garlic in my 30's, plus plenty of capsaicin, well before I started taking preventative statins and other stuff. I'd like to think the garlic played a key role, anyway. At the same time, people aren't always a fan of my sulfurous breath and sweat. :s

No kidding-- if you eat lots of raw garlic (like I have), your sweat will actually smell like tomcat piss.

Terry,

Sorry to hear about all this.

I personally am going through serious emphysema and have scarring in both of my lungs along with walking crazily to the left and always light headed. I have a CT chest scan coming up this 15th to not only check those lungs but I have a few calcified lymph nodes as well which is NOT good...it could mean cancer. I now have to get CT chest scans every three or so months for the rest of my life.

I was the same way as you when younger. I was really fit and was like a horse until I hit 48 years of age. I'm now 51 and my health has gone down the porcelain throne in a matter of just a few years.

Again my thoughts and prayers to you and hope everything will work out for you. Please take care of yourself and you know where we are if you need to talk.

d

PS: Ike - tomcat piss? I know cat piss is VERY SHARP smelling so that has got to be a real pain in the arse to deal with I assume. I too love garlic.

Get well you guys!! Thoughts and prayers to you all and to your families.
The amazing part is Terry had this stroke before his Sonic table was completed, and he still was upgrading and working on table right afterwards!!
Talk about passion!!
Your health is more important than anything!!
We all can wait for your community treasures.
Get well first!!
Carry on.

Yah, like Gimli said... I probably had this my whole life. The opening is something that is supposed to "close up" naturally in our early years, but for a small % of people, it doesn't close up.

Up until this happened.... nothing really stood out to me. I mean, I joined the military at 37 (almost 49 now) and was very fit until recently. I did notice at times in the past I experienced short bits of what I know now as vertigo (like waking up in the night and needing to "re-focus" until the vertigo was gone). Since it was a semi-regular thing that was very short and never bothersome.... never thought much of it. Until of course I had the stroke and had vertigo non-stop for weeks.

Given that my headaches were always worse when I woke up from sleep if I was lying down like normal (as opposed to falling sleep vertically in my chair, and it was better for my headaches)... it makes sense that this may have been a big factor in all this.
Ya maybe there is altered flow dynamics going up the carotids with certain positions
Terry,

Sorry to hear about all this.

I personally am going through serious emphysema and have scarring in both of my lungs along with walking crazily to the left and always light headed. I have a CT chest scan coming up this 15th to not only check those lungs but I have a few calcified lymph nodes as well which is NOT good...it could mean cancer. I now have to get CT chest scans every three or so months for the rest of my life.

I was the same way as you when younger. I was really fit and was like a horse until I hit 48 years of age. I'm now 51 and my health has gone down the porcelain throne in a matter of just a few years.

Again my thoughts and prayers to you and hope everything will work out for you. Please take care of yourself and you know where we are if you need to talk.

d

PS: Ike - tomcat piss? I know cat piss is VERY SHARP smelling so that has got to be a real pain in the arse to deal with I assume. I too love garlic.
I guess sarcoidosis is being ruled out as well

Catching up on this a few days later... take care of yourself @TerryRed , and let us know when the procedure is and how it goes. We're all rooting for you :-D

You too, @druadic - hope it's the least bad of the possibilities, and that your medical care and situation continue to improve.

Catching up on this a few days later... take care of yourself @TerryRed , and let us know when the procedure is and how it goes. We're all rooting for you :-D

You too, @druadic - hope it's the least bad of the possibilities, and that your medical care and situation continue to improve.
Wylte,

We'll see. CT chest scan Friday due to a "calcified lymph node" so it could be cancer if it changes but I hope not. STILL fighting for disability and this is the 5th time. My attorney refuses to give up which is a nice thing.

I too am working on tables currently but am busy with another person and a business so I may just come into some MAD MONEY soon if things go right and so far everything is falling into place. The guy I work for has also offered me my own house sometime at the end of the year of the beginning of the next year which is quite exciting.

Not much else but thanks for the well wishes and kindness.

d

So.... after many months... the day has arrived. Tomorrow I will be going into the Heart Institute for heart surgery. It's almost unreal, as it's been so long I've been waiting. Starting to feel a bit numb to it all.

The best part... I'm awake for the whole thing. Yeet!

This will be the last day.... that I'm a hole-hearted man. ;)

Please tell how the hell one can keep awake during such procedure.

I wish you a rapid recovery.

Please tell how the hell one can keep awake during such procedure.

I wish you a rapid recovery.

If I can fall sleep and snore with a machine-gun next to me firing off non-stop.... I'll probably fall asleep during this. :)

Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back