Visual Install Pack 8.1_2.1+NT - Feedback Thread

I read the post yesterday and wondered what's the connection to VP/VPM. I agree, the file doesn't belong into the VIP

To be frank, I find it better to walk them through a manual installation. That way, they get familiar with where everything is and how it all works together.

With the VIP installer, support beyond installation is much more difficult, IMO.

Stir that Pot

Here we go.

If you're going to be frank, Noah, be fair as well. Some people don't have anyone to walk them through an installation (like me when I first downloaded the components). It took me many hours to figure it all out with decades of experience behind me. I know of others who just gave up until they found out about the installer.....

Can you give any examples of providing 'support beyond installation'?
IMHO once _properly_ installed no support is required. VIP does that.

Noah Fentz said:
With the VIP installer....
You're suffering from Acronym Redundancy Syndrome.
Didn't know the Visual Install Pack needed an Installer...

Here we go.

If you're going to be frank, Noah, be fair as well. Some people don't have anyone to walk them through an installation (like me when I first downloaded the components). It took me many hours to figure it all out with decades of experience behind me. I know of others who just gave up until they found out about the installer.....

Can you give any examples of providing 'support beyond installation'?

You're suffering from Acronym Redundancy Syndrome.
Didn't know the Visual Install Pack needed an Installer...

I, for example.
It really does.
Thanks PHOENIXX.

Noah & Phoenixx, for the benefit of the whole VP/VPM comunity, what about a link to the VIP on all VP/VPM related sites, & that includes VPForums.org?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some people like Linux and spending an entire night at the commandline just to compile whatever they need by hand, others prefer Windows and running an installer that sets them up in a matter of seconds with a couple of mouseclicks. Like i always say; each to their own.

So if somebody seriously believes that it is better to tell someone who has no idea how VP/VPM works to spend an evening (or two or three) with the manual setup even though the VIP will do the very same thing guaranteed flawlessly in 10 seconds, who am i to argue. I am sure the one asking for help will appreciate it, (especially when he finds out the true reason why that particular method has been recommended to him), and even more so once he becomes aware of the VIP, realizing that he could have been playing in a matter of minutes rather than downloading a dozen different things from a dozen different places and then figuring out what has to be unzipped where, etcetera etcerera. I guess the feature list of the VIP speaks perfectly for itself as far as that is concerned - take it or leave it, it makes no difference to me.

(There is one thing i dont quite understand though; if it is really so much 'better' to do it manually, why has 'Mr. Manual' up there asked me whether he can offer the VIP on the new site then? What did he mean when he said, and i quote: "It is definitely a nice way to break newbs into the scene"? But then again, that was before he knew what i was thinking about the scam, so he probably figured "if Phoenixx wont visit the site its better to tell new users to do it manually". I leave it to you to find the correlation there, (in case you wonder; i didnt find any), but then who cares, im sure he had his reason for his 'change of heart' and i definitely have more important problems than this,...)

Enough said.

Dude...

Has life treated you so poorly that you actually believe the shit you're spewing?

Must everyone always have some ulterior motive or hidden agenda?!

Are you a conspiracy theorist all the time?

Damn, dude, give it a rest!

If you seriously believe i would fall for your cheap attempt at baiting me then you must be way dumber than i gave you credit for,...

really....Phoenixx provides a nice little service, that i used to get started with VP..manual install is not for me, i don't need the aggravation.

Thanks for the Update. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Rick

Have not tried the Visual Install Pack for a long time, it's a great thing, even works on Windows ME! Yes it installed perfectly without issue on an old Duron 850 powered with a 16MB TNT card and running Windows ME of all things...Ok it can only handle 1024x768 @ 16bit and DMD machines stutter during multiball, but otherwise most tables run fine. :)

Thanks Phoenixx[/COLO"]Pinball Nirvana Forums - View Profile: Phoenixx@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: Phoenixx</title>@@AMEPARAM@@Phoenixx, just thought I'd report in that it is Windows ME compatible.

THX for the feedback Steve.

Glad to hear it worked without problems even on such an old OS. :pinball:

For some reason when I run the installer I get an invalid G:/ Drive error. My hard drive is labeled C:/
Not sure why this is happening

Tom.

Last edited:
Once again thanks for the installer.Works perfectly with Windows 7. Just need to update some file after the install, no big deal.

Just one detail:Where is Phoenixx?

Thanks phoenix pinball newbie

What an easy installer.Very easy to use (had trouble on my last computer bloody vista.).I have now an intel quad pc clocked to 4.66 hertz(built by my boss at work)pinmame now runs a dream.Im using windows7 64 bit.Also just got virgin broadband in 30 meg.so im flying.Cheers phoenix for this:)

thanks Phoenixx for the visual pinball pack, the installation was easy but the tables don't work like in reality (no special no extra ball no replay) could help me out with this problem Thank

With most tables: Start the table in Play Mode and press the F6 key to select options like Replay, Extra Ball, difficulty setting, etc.

Not all table versions offer this menu while others may be hard to decipher due to numerical switches with no function labels.

And some authors simply refuse to provide Replays and Extra Balls in their versions of known games. This can be Very Annoying when playing a machine from the past and I am expecting a Replay, etc. and it ain't there after racking up millions of points and score rollovers on a table that only has 6 digit scoring!

If the table is a VPinMame (uses a second ROM.zip file) later model Williams you can try:
pressing the 0 (zero) top key twice
press the top 9 key to cycle through the menu in the DMD.
When you see ADJUSTMENTS, press 0 (zero) once.
Press 9 to cycle to STANDARD ADJ.
Press 0 to enter.
Press 9 to cycle to whatever needs adjusted to enable features.
Press 0 to enter and to Select the feature.
Press the 9 key to toggle the feature's YES/NO option, etc.
Then press the 7 key repeatedly to return to previous Service Menus or, at the end of the key presses, Play Mode.

And there are often other goodies lurking in the Service Menu by Title or by feature, so be aware. :)

Great install pack

Phoenixx ,

I think you already know that I really really appreciate the install pack . Tried for 4-5 yrs. off an on and finally gave up . Had it sort of working once , but came back at a later date and something had expired . How ridiculous ! So glad my flight simulator works so nicely and is always ready .

I have one problem with the new install and am getting a pop-up notification in the middle of playing Gorgar which is headed Sticky Keys
and says to press the shift key 5 times to turn on sticky keys . Would like to get rid of that nuisance if possible and have never had a use for " sticky keys " .

Surely do thank you Phoenixx .
netsinger

I'm afraid you're reaching a dead line here. Phoenixx hasn't been around for a couple of years now. Just do what Windows in its infinite wisdom tells you... hit the shift key 5 times and that should toggle sticky keys off.

But if you don't need the Sticky Keys feature enabled on your system, then click Start > Control Panel > Accessibility Options and on the Keyboard menu (the Keyboard tab) uncheck Everything.
Uncheck Use Sticky Keys, Use Filter Keys, Use Toggle Keys.

Hey Phoenixx! Hope you're still out there. :)

How the hell did I get a Double Post!

Attachments

• 2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg
    2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Hi Ruby 631 and sleepy ,

Thanks for the response . Nothing was checked , but I went on into settings on each and unchecked most of that as well so maybe the notice will not pop up again .

Thanks ,
Netsinger

Hi Ruby 631 and sleepy ,

Thanks for the response . Nothing was checked , but I went on into settings on each and unchecked most of that as well so maybe the notice will not pop up again .

Thanks ,
Netsinger

Hey, that's ruby651! I'm insulted! :) Hope those solutions work for you... I'd hate my Gorgar game to be interrupted. BTW, if you're a Gorgar fan and have a PS3 or Xbox 360, check out the Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection. Lots of great tables (including Gorgar) for a cheap price and a lot of fun to play. I should mention that the above link states that there's 10 tables, but it's more like 12 or 13. I'd find a better link, but I'm too lazy.

Hey Ruby 621 ,

Just kidding --651 ! I don't have either of what you mentioned , but do like to play Gorgar since we once had a real machine till my divorce some 23 yrs. ago . It is really better to play these on the PC anyway since there are no mechanical parts to replace and no big heavy machine to make room for or to move around . Pretty amazing what these nice folks have done .
Netsinger

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: MMITG is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back