vp awards 2004?

Anthias

Pinball Player
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Battle For The Down
Brave, or what????!! :)

TIme to think about where to go for table awards this year.

Right, I donṫ want to run such a thing myself, but I feel it is time to begin discussion. I would like to begin by saying that such a thing should not be limited to one group - that is not one site, or genre, or type of author etc.

I would suggest that the sites ALL have some involvment, in so much as the community is all of us.

I would suggest that somebody not likely to be a candidate for each award, be nominated to maintaint it. (eg a person who plays but doesnṫ make such tables).

I feel that if these awards are to be fair, recreations need to be given a fair hearing as well as the originals that have had awards in the past. I also feel that if we judge originals we should allow for genre - em, ss, flipperless etc, just as we should for recreations.

Thus it begins to look like a big job. If the threads looked like being too many to manage, I would consider opening a temporary forum at VPO to handle it there, but with members spread across four forums, I feel voting should similarly be shared.

Now, for the awards themselves, i would draft the following list:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Originals
T A B L E S
Best Flipperless/novelty
Best EM style
Best 70s/SS style
Best 80s to Modern style

A U T H O R S
Best new author
Best Veteran
Most Improved
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Recreations
T A B L E S
Best Flipperless/novelty
Best EM
Best 70s/SS recreation
Best 80s to modern VP
Best 80s to modern VPM
A U T H O R S
Best new author
Best Veteran
Most Improved
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Obviously this list is rather large, and I donṫ claim that it is the one we should use, I merely wish to open discussion to get the idea moving. If you feel this could be better done a different way, please suggest it. After some debate, the various models can be 'polled'. Note that this post is going up at the four main forums, so some ideas may be repeated.

So to the discussion. Any sugesstions, recomendations, organiser nominations etc, please post - but remember: this thread is not the awards themselves, it is a discussion of their possible organisation.

Later,
Anthias.

Well, I made a suggestion at VP Origianls, so I won't repeat it here. But from early responses, there doesn't seem to be much hope for this happening, but I hope I'm wrong. It was pointed out that it seems pretty obvious which tables would win, but I'm not so sure. One valid point shiva made is that some authors don't wish to have their tables voted upon, but shouldn't a Best Of involve everyone? And there's always the problem of it becoming a popularity contest instead of objective.

One category I'd think about adding would be most missed retired author. And Duglis would only be listed once, although he has retired 37 times or so. And by retired I mean any author who is not still actively making tables, and not regularly posting to forums, so someone simply taking a breather wouldn't qualify. Good luck with your idea.

John

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: T800 has left the room.
      Back