VPU, not the Evil Empire after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my stance:

I cannot talk sense into anyone else anymore than anyone else can. I can try reason, but it's a matter of finding the right words, and that doesn't always work. So while I may try to "talk sense into" people, I sure can't promise miracles, especially against individuals who have made up their mind. The best I can do is to be good, and be karmic.

I am a member of the Karmic Task Force, by the way -- or so the Universe has seen fit for me to be. I get to deliver Karma unto those who truly need it.

It's become a far less enjoyable job as I have become older, as my support group has dwindled.

But I digress.

I have no qualms or beefs with ANYONE right now (although PD, you are being as reactionary these days as you accuse others of being -- might want to tone that back a bit ->in my opinion<-, which is worth what you paid for it. only my viewpoint). I could go out with any of you and buy beer or warm milk, or whatever (warm Silk if you're lactose intolerant!), because even as we debate and disagree, in the end, it's not a bad thing.

Until personal attacks get into it, and then I just want to steer clear. I have found that my taking sides usually does more harm than good. Just to be clear: If I appear to take sides, I'm not -- I'm following what makes sense to me, and that could be bollocks to the rest of you and you know what? I don't much care, because I am standing my ground and speaking my truth.

As someone in the Ad Popup industry (I work for the Company Formerly Known as Gator (boo me if you must -- it's far better than starving!)), the ads only work if you click THROUGH them, not if they only get displayed (this is my understanding) [This is why people hated Gator so much -- because of the popups!]. So linking to content as opposed to linking to the home page is relatively benign. Also because of the cookie issue (i.e. if you're not "logged in" (one doesn't log on to IRP, I know) you can't connect proper), it's less of a deal than needs to be made.

Besides that, there are still a sufficient number of people who DON'T go to VPU on principle that the Ads will continue to have the same effect for people who are likely to click thru anyway.

I will not condemn VPU myself. I have too many people in too many places that I consider friendly.

I will not condemn VPF. I post there to let people know I just put something in IRP.

I don't condemn PN at all save that it's been slow for me a few times, and since I don't put much of interest here (Aladdin's Castle was about it; I don't know if Capt. Fantastic qualified for "unusual flipper treatments" or not), I don't visit all that often.

And IRP? We all know how I feel about IRP :D

So that's my stance: No beefs, no sides taken. Speak your truth, stand your ground, move ahead. Balance and harmony can prevail, although I believe it will be teetering tolerance...

(...it's not too late...to whip it...into shape...go forward...get straight...move ahead...it's not too late...to whip it...whip it good!)

My stance, if you deep link to anothers webspace and are asked to link only to their homepage, then you should respect that request and only link to their homepage.

Gottlieb has posted an apology for the bandwidth issue, and for his response to the opinions posted here concerning him and VPU. I've taken his apology at face value, and posted my appreciation of it at VPU. I still have problems with what I preceive as his attitude, but hope that things change for the better on all fronts.

John

I think it's time to try again. Put 'em aside for now, and let's see if we can make a better go.

Sometimes it takes a few clue-by-fours to point out some errors. Sometimes it's just not worth the ire, and you don't figure it out until much later.

And you look like an idiot in the meantime. Who of us hasn't done it?

Try again?

I just hate group hugs... :banghead:

bob said:
I just hate group hugs... :banghead:

All according to who is in the group, so do I sometimes. Other times I can't get enough hugs. :p

John

Go hug a tree - it works for me! (so long as it's clean and relatively bug free!) :D :angel:

I've only just returned from hols and so far Shiva has gone, Underground has arrived, there are numerous squabbles between folk on all the forums, Bandwidth thefts, apologies, acceptances, far too many posts to catch up on, lots of good guys retiring and many new moderators arriving (well done and arise Sir Bob!)!

With all the animosity all I can say is .... Whoa, everyone and start chilling; this is still meant to be a hobby is it not? :headscratch: :2confused:

Oh, and sheep rustling in Ammanford .... yikes, what next! :wtf:

I posted 5 times at VPU, there is no record of me?

I appreciate Gottlieb's apology, this whole subject makes me question any freedom to post my thought's on VPF and vpu...

TMFP apparently decided my thread @ VPF didn't concern VPF and locked it, I wanted to accept Gottlieb's apology and correct misinformation in the thread after my last post....

Why is the thread locked @ vpf?
It does concern the staff at vpf, I consider the subject done, except for some major misstatements by Gottlieb and TMFP... :(

I am NOT an admin @ IRP, IRP is not "my site", Pinball Nirvana is my site.

IRP and ztnet do not allow direct file links, end of discussion, irp made no compromise, There is no other solution, no direct links...
Gottlieb's apology is accepted, I've been called worse in R/L by nobody..

Why was my thread at vpf closed, Gottlieb and Kinsey sliced and diced, the thread does not exist anymore, VPF should delete it if I can't accept an apology and respond to "misunderstandings"...

Why was the thread locked?

Jon,

Some of my early posts at VPU are missing to. There were some threads deleted before Gottlieb came to his senses and lightened up. Some later posts of mine there have remained.

As for the closed thread at VPF, I think TMFP thought everything that needed to be said was said. I'll bet that if you PMd him your comments and asked him to add them, or even reopen the thread he might do so. Keep in mind he's still learning the ropes.

And while you aren't admin at IRP, you are part of the team.

John

tiltjlp said:
Jon,

Some of my early posts at VPU are missing to. There were some threads deleted before Gottlieb came to his senses and lightened up. Some later posts of mine there have remained.

As for the closed thread at VPF, I think TMFP thought everything that needed to be said was said. I'll bet that if you PMd him your comments and asked him to add them, or even reopen the thread he might do so. Keep in mind he's still learning the ropes.

John
You are happy that some of your posts remain?
That's downright sad...
I sent a PM to TMFP and received a bs reply a day ago, (I replied, he has chosen to ignore me) I give up unless Spiderman can help, he hates closed threads...but is now in the web? :roll:

They do seem to be getting a little thread lock happy at VPF now. But this Ultracade thing seems ready to destroy the community (through squabbling over pennies if nothing else).

I trust Spiderman to do the right thing,

I'm upset that my thread was locked, TMFP has ignored my last PM and the silence seems appropriate for the forum, these dudes are clones of the last dudes?!

I'll just start a new thread, Why was my thread at VPF Locked, I know why Gottlieb and Kinsey deleted my thread @ vpu, they were embarrassed..and Wrong.

VPF has no excuse, I've started 2 threads on the subject, 1 is GONE, the other is LOCKED and I was polite...?

Disgusting...

Jon, you know me better than that :) I have already addressed this in the staffroom. I don't want to start locking threads and deleting threads. I am only a moderator and I don't want to be an admin, but I will fight for the right to PARRRRRRRTY!!!!!!

I asked for that thread to be unlocked. I think if anyone requests a thread to be unlocked, it should be considered.

If you ask me a question, I will always give you a straight answer even if it were to cost me my position on the staff. I am not a big PM guy, I like to post out in the open for everyone to see my answer. I hate all of the secrecy that surrounds this community.

bob pointed us to this thread so you can blame him that i stopped by and posted. :D

jon, we've had our fights and we've had our agreements/alliances in the past, but as long as i'm on VPF staff then i will treat you with the same respect that everyone deserves. additionally, you're a long time scene person, run this nice site, and helped VPFL achieve its goals by adding your voice to the group. and i really appreciate all that.

what i'd like you to understand is that we're a toddler staff and not clones of anyone. actually that's not true- i'm basically a loaf/lio wannabe. but we're still feeling things out IMO and trying to figure out how to make the best decisions. also, we don't necessarily talk everything out first and there's a lot of latitude regarding individual staff members using their own judgement to handle matters. and yea, sometimes that involves locking or moving threads.

as a staff i think one of the biggest qualities we bring to the table is flexibility. or maybe i should say that's what i personally aim for. i don't mind admitting when i screwed up and trying my best to fix the mistake. if people feel strongly about unlocking a thread i'm inclined to yield to their wishes. i took a bath recently when i tried to censor "feck" too much and that's just part of the territory IMO. if the users are willing to have some fun at my expense then at least they're enjoying themselves. :)

i agree with you about the PM thing- as a staff we need to be professional and return all PMs that engender a reply. jon- i got no problem with you putting pressure on us to be more professional. frankly i would prefer it. if you think we're doing something wrong then you're welcome to put it in our faces (okay, better just say my face) until we deal with it. i can't guarantee that i will agree, but i take your opinion seriously and will do my best to see things from your POV and make the best decision for the site. all i would ask you is to try to remain civil.

my PM box will always be open to you guys, unless you turn into crazy, chainsaw-wielding, hockey mask-wearing psychopaths. that would just make me wet my pants, so don't expect a reply in that case, dammit.

thx,
nic

JonPurpleHaze said:
I appreciate Gottlieb's apology, this whole subject makes me question any freedom to post my thought's on VPF and vpu...
You can post your thoughts, but don't bring your fights to our place

JonPurpleHaze said:
TMFP apparently decided my thread @ VPF didn't concern VPF and locked it,
well, if it concerned VPF then AJ would have posted something different to what he did post

and might I add, that the thread had been unlocked at the time of your post in the '100,00 members' thread

JonPurpleHaze said:
IRP and ztnet do not allow direct file links, end of discussion, irp made no compromise, There is no other solution, no direct links...
Gottlieb's apology is accepted,
If Gottliebs appology is accepted, then why continue the discussion?

Trying to be the one who has the last say is the VP communities biggest problem
you would have had your say, gottlieb would have had to have his say
someone else would have then chimed in with an inapropriate comment
whaich inturn starts the whole ball rolling again

Gottlieb apologised
you accepted it

what more needed to be discused?

TMFP

Thanks for your responses!

This is what needs to be discussed:

well, looks like the issue has been resolved

not that it was VPForums bussiness in the first place

I've mentioned this before, read the 1st paragraph in the thread, It does concern VPF and the main problem I had was the locking of the thread and some other misinformation that I was unable to reply to.

I do appreciate the feedback! Thank You!
Jon

I had given you feed back,
You still disagreed with my position

cool, whatever

you then threatened me, and you have spread misinformation

so why would I want to waste my time with you?

TMFP

as I have said from the beginning, if Gottliebs apology is accepted then why continue the discussion?

JonPurpleHaze said:
tiltjlp said:
Jon,

John
You are happy that some of your posts remain?
That's downright sad...
I sent a PM to TMFP and received a bs reply a day ago, (I replied, he has chosen to ignore me) I give up unless Spiderman can help, he hates closed threads...but is now in the web? :roll:

No, I'm a bit surprised that they're still there. But then they aren't in any of the threads that magically evaporated. So far it seems like Gottlieb has lightened up, so that's an improvement.

John

I do wonder why Rob is continually allowed to refer to me as some kind of crazed stalker. I was talking to Kristian and addressing his comments in the last thread and suddenly I'm sitting there all night and stalking again when I should be working on my table according to Rob (odd as I did post a WIP update to my table that night too so I was hardly commenting all night... and this from someone who claims to write those 12 page replies in 30 seconds).

I did bring this up in a PM to TMFP like two weeks ago, but I got no reply so I might as well post publicly here.

TheManFromPOST said:
I had given you feed back,
You still disagreed with my position

cool, whatever

you then threatened me, and you have spread misinformation

so why would I want to waste my time with you?

TMFP

as I have said from the beginning, if Gottliebs apology is accepted then why continue the discussion?

I don't recall threatening you and I just read my last pm to you that went unanswered, I hope you realize that your position was wrong and learn from it.

I'm also getting a little tired of Leo Wanker's attitude and referring to me as Pacdud. People want moderating action at VPF. Go ahead. Give it to them.

Pacdude said:
I do wonder why Rob is continually allowed to refer to me as some kind of crazed stalker. I was talking to Kristian and addressing his comments in the last thread and suddenly I'm sitting there all night and stalking again when I should be working on my table according to Rob (odd as I did post a WIP update to my table that night too so I was hardly commenting all night... and this from someone who claims to write those 12 page replies in 30 seconds).

I did bring this up in a PM to TMFP like two weeks ago, but I got no reply so I might as well post publicly here.

I don't really know what all he writes, because I'm not going to waste my time reading what seems to be egp bloating on his part, followd by insults to you and other authors, interrupted by his defending his long-winded glop.

Sometimes you can be as long-winded, or nearly as so. But you seem to have more to actually say, and you also format your posts properly. For a college guy who claims to have some writing know-how, improper formatting is both an insult and a turn off to me. I got to know Rob feairly well when I first returned to VP, and he seemed OK. Maybe the attention he git from his first few table releases meesed him up.

As for Leon, he mouths off so much I doubt if many regulars pay him much mind. But it's obvious why he does it, becausr he can get away with it. Recently AJ posted about the new staff, and the enforcement of the site rules. He admitted that the rules weren't always applied fairly and evenly, and that was OK with him.

So anyone what to add to my list of members who are allowed to disregard various rules?

Leon, for whatever reason he seems above the law. He baits and taunts one and all at the drop of a hat, and claims he's simply pointing out bitchers and whiners. Shame he never reports himself, since he's as bad as any of us.

Wrenchien, puts on a convincing basketcase act and id allowed to knowingly create a 3rd or 4th duplicate account. When I pointed a new Wrenchien acoount out to staff, and wondered if he would be banned, I was told, well, he probably didn't know. Right, and I'm the sexiest woman alive.

Rob, at least he should be a candidate for R/O, given the many attacks against any number of VPM authors. As said above, I'd consider banning him for disregrading text formattinf, which he claims to be fully aware of.

Me, yeah me, at least once upon a time. Before my absense, I made an all out effort to get banned, simply to prove a point. I had saved every post nd PM or e-mail I made during that period, and every response I received from staff, and was hoping to expose the problems with VPF at that time on our site, which at that time was still known as The Magic Of Flipperless. No matter what I did, I kept hearing, "Since you're a friend, we'll overlook it this time, if you will quit trying to start trouble." Back then I was a leader of the rebel faction trying to make what we saw as needed changes to VPF, which did lead to a housecleaning and the addition to Loaf as admin. So we did succeed, after a nasty 6-9 month effort. And then a few months later I left VP for health reasons.

So I guess the more things change the more the BS stays the same doesn't it? So feel free to add to the list of folks who do, or have in the past, received special treatment, doe whatever reason, at vpf.

John

JPH, your thread has been unlocked, I assume TMFP unlocked it, it was unlocked this morning and it's still unlocked. Yes, you should know, I'm not a fan of locked threads, but I was the one who locked the thread "Rob" the situation was resolved and it had become a thread where members were just insulting Rob.

Here's a link to your thread...

http://www.vpforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35603

John and PD, do you really want me or any other moderator editing every little thing someone posts in a reply that was or could be interpreted as a minor flame? You got to be kidding me? Do you guys want that job? VPF is a busy forums and just about everyone active in the VP community posts there. Who cares if Leo Wanker called you "Pacdud" a couple of times, everyone is not as good as you are at making someone look like an ass without calling them an ass. This is just "my opinion" and that's why "I" didn't edit it. I think you're going to see this staff is different from all the other staffs in that some of us will speak publically, at least you know I will ;)

VPF is a forums where everyone is welcome and everyone should be able to have a "fun" experience, but it IS up to each member to take a little responsibilty in achieving this "fun" by ignoring the stuff that irritates them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back