We're Staying Open After All, Thanks to JPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
Jon has decide not to close Pinball Nirvana, but instead has made me the Site Admin, so say a prayer I don't goof things up too much on a technical end. My original comments made before Jon decided not to close the site follow, just to clear up any confusion.

As most of you may have seen on the front page, Jon has decided to close Pinball Nirvana. If it were just a matter of money, I'd figure some way to split the cost with him. If I tried, maybe I could talk him into changing him mind, but I'm not going to try. Maintaining a site takes a lot of time and effort, and if it's not fun anymore, why keep doing it?

I'd like to thank Jon for co-founding the site with me, and letting me pretty much run it the way I wanted. And for footing the bills month after month, but especially keeping it running as well as he did. I consider JPH one of my best friends, and closing Pinball Nirvana won't change that.

I'd like to thank our authors for allowing us to host their tables, especially Druadic, because in the beginning, his work accounted for over a 1/3 of the tables we had. But every author who had any work here was important to us. Patrick and I will keep making our tables, look for them at IRP and VP Originals.

But most important, I'd like to thanks our active members, many of them who really did help make us unique. We basically had one rule, Don't Make A Fool Of Yourself. Most of the regulars broke that rule. I know I felt foolish a lot of times. But the Dude, Destruk, Elton, Bob, Steve, Panda, and even Leon, and countless others joined in our discussions and debates, and made this a site where anyone could have their say, even if neither Jon or I agreed with their opinion.

That's what I'll miss the most, the openess we had. We realized that a cuss word now and then wouldn't cause the end of the world. We also knew that insults and even flames didn't matter that much, at the end of the day we could and did disagree and do battle, and still like, if not always respect each other. So as the final days of Pinball Nirvana tick off, Thanks For The Memories.

I'll still be around, even if I don't post that often. VPF doesn't seem to want my thoughts and opinions posted there, and VP Originals doesn't need the hassle either. So as we ride off into the sunset, keep a good thought, and know that I've had the time of my life.

John

That's sad news, John.

I can't believe. This is one of the last things I thought would happen.
Especially because the site again awakes.

I'm really sad...

Servus
Walter

thankyou Tiltjlp for opening my eyes to pinball, before flippers
I still hope one day to own an actual nudgeing machine

TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST said:
thankyou Tiltjlp for opening my eyes to pinball, before flippers
I still hope one day to own an actual nudgeing machine

TheManFromPOST

You're welcome. Keep your eyes peeled for a Genco Seven Up, which might be the best flipperless ever made. And Starman, I am sad too. Keep making your wonderful tables, and start posting them over at VP Originals, so I can keep enjoying them.

John

You guys should do a hostile takeover of VPF now. You have my axe.

Good times to you.

tiltjlp has agreed to be the new site admin. The site is staying open because of his generosity, I had received emails asking if John could run the site and I'm sure he can.

Jon

JonPurpleHaze said:
tiltjlp has agreed to be the new site admin. The site is staying open because of his generosity, I had received emails asking if John could run the site and I'm sure he can.

Jon

Thanks for letting the site remain open Jon. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that nothing techincal goes wrong, because I won't have a clue want to do. Enjoy your time away Jon, and know that this will always be our site, no matter what.

John

I also wish to say thanks Jon and John for keeping it real and providing such a great forum experience. John I know I'm not a great deal of help around here I don't know much about the forum software, but I do have trusted internet friends that do. So if you do encounter any forum problems feel free to contact me and I'm sure we can sort any problems out. Also if you need any just general maintaince help, contact me and I'll help out.

Also this..

VPF doesn't seem to want my thoughts and opinions posted there

Is Bollocks. :p

This thread has me confused, of course it's not difficult to do that -- PN Staying Open - ok, so PN is Pinball Nirvana? And it is staying open - that is great news to have the site remain accessible on the internet.
But then your message says Jon is closing the site.
Thanks for leaving the site up for now.

StevOz said:
I also wish to say thanks Jon and John for keeping it real and providing such a great forum experience. John I know I'm not a great deal of help around here I don't know much about the forum software, but I do have trusted internet friends that do. So if you do encounter any forum problems feel free to contact me and I'm sure we can sort any problems out. Also if you need any just general maintaince help, contact me and I'll help out.

Also this..

VPF doesn't seem to want my thoughts and opinions posted there

Is Bollocks. :p

Well, there isn't much moderating that needs to be done here, so don't feel bad about that. And though Jon has offered to help out if I screw things up royally, I'll keep your offer in mind. And while I'm not too thrilled with any type of moderating, I think for the most part the new staff at vpf is doing a fairly decent job. And just me glad that I have enough sense usually to know what not to post at vpf. No need to any why, I can let loose here whenever I feel a need.

John

john, i know i'm on your shit list but i just wanted to say anyway: i'm glad to see you're willing to keep the site running. your site is very important to the scene IMO and i hope it lasts as long as the others do.

-nic

destruk said:
This thread has me confused, of course it's not difficult to do that -- PN Staying Open - ok, so PN is Pinball Nirvana? And it is staying open - that is great news to have the site remain accessible on the internet.
But then your message says Jon is closing the site.
Thanks for leaving the site up for now.

Sorry for the confusion Brian. I've renamed this thread, and added an explaination to my first post. The short of it is that Jon decided, for a number of reasons, to close our site. But several people sent him e-mails asking him to turn the site over to me instead of closing it, and that is what Jon ended up doing.

I'd like to thank the folks who wrote to Jon, because knowing his reasons, I decided not to try and change his mind. It's nice to know that there are people who value PN as much as I do. But yes, the site came very close to shutting down. The only reason it didn't is because of Jon's kind generousity and friendship.

John

I'm glad the site is staying open and I hope JPH will still hang around. I like him and I will always support him, because like most of us he is a pinhead. If the community ever had to "really" split up into 2 groups, I'm postitive that JPH and I would be in the same group.

Thanks Jon for your efforts in making VP tables available for anyone to download, you are a huge asset to this community. I'd like to now present you with a belated, but well deserved and extremely coveted, Gold Star

Congratulations and Up Yours!!!!

The site is staying open? Oh crap. My posting about VPF was quoted a few times. Maybe I'll be back for good :)
I'm Shockman and I am fond of flippers. ;)

Thanks Jon and John for your decision to keep this open. I was very surprised when I opened this thread after a few days not online as of router/modem problems as I post in another thread just before. I hope it will run this way. I just need to discover the reasons.

Shockman said:
The site is staying open? Oh crap. My posting about VPF was quoted a few times. Maybe I'll be back for good :)
I'm Shockman and I am fond of flippers. ;)

Now if this joint was ran the why some other sites have been ran in the past, I would ban you simply because you like flippers. But if you're here long enough, I'm sure you'll get to enoioy flipperless too. You had better like them buster. :p

John

Heh.

I've never been a flipperless fan at all; that said, I should go try some and see if it changes my mind.

Thanks, John and Jon - one site less is a travesty. Two less would be a catastrophe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back