What music are you listening to?

Sleepy's Sister

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Don't know much about pinball machines
What happened to all the discussions about music?

Pinball Nirvana once had almost as much conversation about classic rock music as pinball. So if any of you old rock n' rollers (like me) are still out there, I thought you might find this documentary interesting. Laurel Canyon was just a couple of miles, and a whole other world, from where Arne lived. He would have approved. :guitar:

Official trailer for "Echo in the Canyon"

Echo in the Canyon | Official Trailer - YouTube

Editor's Note: I'm stickying this because it's such a fun, fascinating, winding thread. One of the "Playfield's Greatest Hits," for sure! Also re-christening the title, so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most of the conversation on that the last 5-10 years was between Arne and Bill, so that's pretty much how that worked. I would occasionally join in, but my music interests had already changed a lot by that point, and there wasn't much interest in stuff I now listen to, like world folk, indy pop, lounge-ambient, old-timey / Appalachian, renaissance / medieval, etc.

Anyway yeah, Bill and Gregg would probably be happy to talk about this stuff, if they happened by at the right time.

In terms of classic rock, I'd be mostly interested in talking about singing technique, since I've been regularly doing karaoke at the local bar / restaurant.

Last edited:
I love world folk and indie pop too. Arne introduced me to the Hawaiian duo Hapa, and I really enjoy them. I love Ladysmith Black Mambazo from South Africa. Amanda Martinez is great, she's from Canada but she blends her Mexican/South African roots to make some interesting music. R Carlos Nakai is a Navajo/Ute musician who is really good if you enjoy Native American music.

Which world music artists do you enjoy Nic?

Thanks! I'll check that stuff out.

For world folk, I tend to be mindful of genres, not individual artists. Stuff like Andean Huayno, traditional Greek, the Caribbean's multiple genres, Gypsy, Irish / Celtic (and modern arrangements, such as by The Pogues), African, and Indian. Or I'll just hit the Shoutcast network and randomly cruise world folk streamers, like Rumanian, Russian, Belgian, etc.

One of those situations where I'm so easily pleased that I don't mind being sloppy / Catholic in my tastes. :p

OTOH, Indy Pop is a genre where I'm building a much more tightly controlled playlist. I could share that if that's of interest.

Btw, almost ten years ago I made a slideshow / video of one of Arne's favorite Hapa songs that he turned me on to. It's coming up on two million views now, so I'm pleased that lots of people have enjoyed it.

Hapa - Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai (studio version) - YouTube

Arne really was the driving force in so many of the musical discussions here... oftentimes in the movie discussions, as well. I could always join in because I was so steeped in classic rock for so long, but my current interests have moved beyond that. A huge part of what I listen to now is soul music. I'm especially fond of the subgenre known as Northern Soul. It seems that, for decades, residents of Northern England have been unearthing some fantastic American soul records from the '60s and '70s that we were never smart enough to listen to ourselves. Like this song. It's a shame Lou Pride didn't have the Motown Machine working behind him. This song deserves to be a timeless classic like "Papa Was a Rolling Stone."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B9WgdrSGKzU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Cool beans. I think I've heard that song before. Maybe in a TV show or movie.

I enjoyed that, Bill! I'm always open to different musical genres. I listen to Frankie Beverly sometimes. I think he's considered Northern Soul. (?) Do you have anymore recommendations.

Oooh, Frankie Beverly and Maze! I used to dig listening to them back in the day!
A few years back, I caught an English movie called Northern Soul, a nifty little coming-of-age movie about two teens raised in 1970s Northern England, but it was the soundtrack that really got me going. That's where I discovered that Lou Pride song. I'm going to see if I can attach the whole soundtrack here it. Well, it looks like the PN attachments page doesn't want to play nice, so let's try it this way: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UteLa7uoi5ChB9wcERYTtPIpG3zoLjAK Click on the link, hit download, open the rar file and shake your rump to the funk!

Many moons ago, Ike introduced me to Soma.FM, a very eclectic collection of commercial-free internet stations and that's where I found my all-time favorite internet radio station called 7-Inch Soul, all of it music recorded from the original 45s and all of it truly groovy. There's a lot of fine stations there, like Underground '80s, when I feel the urge to relive my college-radio days, Illinois Street Lounge for when it's Mad Men martini hour and, if I feel the rare urge to hear what kind of music the kids are making today, there's Indie Pop Rocks and its hillbilly cousin Boot Liquor, for some great alt-country and Americana tunes.

Last edited:

Last edited:
...I love Ladysmith Black Mambazo from South Africa. Amanda Martinez is great, she's from Canada but she blends her Mexican/South African roots to make some interesting music. R Carlos Nakai is a Navajo/Ute musician who is really good if you enjoy Native American music.
Checking back in...

- LBM is a band Paul Simon first introduced me to back in the 80's, college years! Always loved their stuff, altho in truth I haven't heard them in a while.

- Amanda Martinez seemed nice from the handful of songs I checked out, altho in general I prefer more traditional stuff than the modern, crowd-friendly arrangements. I want to hear the soul of the olde culture, I guess you could say. Speaking as a pretentious twit, of course. :)

- R Carlos Nakai seems nice and peaceful from what I'm hearing. I can see myself meditating to this or unwinding in a hot oatmeal bath.

Warning warning, Nic ramblation alert: Carlos' stuff in particular also reminds me-- one thing I think I've underestimated in the past is how useful complementary / synchronous music can be for wonderfully augmenting sports, meditation and certain other tasks, such as studying. A lot of the time I find non-vocal music to work best, such that the mind gets more freed up to concentrate on immediate tasks, yet there's a useful background effect going on with the instrumental, leading to certain brain regions getting stimulated, so to speak.

Btw: SomaFM, whoa... hey Bill, I'm glad you found some stuff you liked... completely unlike whatever I might have recommended at the time! Also a nice reminder to keep checking out their diverse playlists, because they've probably doubled or tripled across the years, amirite?

As Ike's tastes are catholic, mine are pretty damn parochial! My music library rarely strays outside the borders of America, with a healthy dose of rockin' Brits. I guess that makes my tastes pretty Anglo-Saxon, while ranging pretty far and wide within those borders: jazz, country, '50s R&B, '80s Alternative Rock, a very, very heavy dose of everything '70s... grandpa even has a couple of rap songs stuck in there. My library is currently sitting at 49 days' worth of music, so if I'm ever stuck on an Arc for 40 days and nights of flooding, I'll have some bitchin' tunes for my animal passengers!
I do have a few exceptions in my "Made In America" library. I've got a pretty hefty dose of Django Reinhardt, because nobody plays guitar like Django!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also have a small collection of classic Tejano music, but what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality. On the plus side, thanks to my two years of high school Spanish, I understand about every fifth word!

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm pretty fond of background music when I'm reading and, for that, I turn to my guiltiest of guilty pleasures, "beautiful music" aka "elevator music!" I love me a good beautiful music station! My current favorite is Beautiful Music 101, because they play the "beautiful" versions of the music I grew up with; Elton John, The Beatles, they even break into the MTV years with Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Come On, Eileen" and I swear I heard them play a "beautiful music" version of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia!"

Yeah, Soma.FM has grown quite a bit over the years. They're my favorite spot to hit at Xmas time, because they host some fantastic soul and lounge Xmas music stations.

Last edited:
Dang... I'm interested in hearing that Tejano collection, but it keeps saying "video unavailable." A ripping attempt with 3rd party site also failed.

Btw I'd love to hear the muzak version of "Come on, Eileen." I searched around a bit, but couldn't find it. Interestingly, I see Dexys reformed in 2003 and released two more albums the last few years.

Soma.FM really has been great for building my Xmas song collection. I peeked at my "Merry Mixmas" folder just now and it's up to 54 songs, with more waiting to be ripped later.

It's really kind of amazing how many neat Xmas songs exist if you only take a look. Not just stuff you'll find in their streams, but also many others, like this little XTC gem:

Three Wise Men Aka XTC - Thanks For Christmas - YouTube

Soma-FM also has a pretty interesting, one might say "ominous," licensing fees situation going on. Seems like they've gotten pinched so thin through the years that they've had to give up playing a number of classics that used to be in heavy rotation, and are instead forced to look for quality content in other places. That's not necessarily bad in terms of forcing them to stay creative, but it also seems to imply that if one of their featured songs / bands becomes more popular outside the site, there's a distinct chance that it'll have to vanish from the playlists due to the jump in licensing costs.

That Rusty guy's done some yeoman's work, but I do kind of keep expecting the site to suddenly disappear.

One Tejano Classics... commmminnng up! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SSh5jymCeYr84KOTNkEBPg2MuIHXcLTk

Ah, good ol' XTC! The wife is a huge XTC nerd. And I thought I had listened to them a lot before I met her!

I've gotten a few donation-begs from Soma in the past. Given what those emails said, I am also very surprised they manage to stay on the air. But I actually did my part. Given how much I really dig that 7-inch Soul station, I sent them some cash. It's the first time I've ever donated money to an internet-radio station. I'm sure that $10 I sent them last year is the only reason they're still broadcasting!

Given your "catholic" tastes, Ike, I thought you might appreciate this little gem. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gyzbvGC5eNfmwlvIozMjB9JMKOEV3A8h This is a collection of Asian groups rocking and rolling in 1960s Singapore and, let me tell you, they do a fine job! Even on the occasion or two they don't handle the English language too well. But, hey, props to them! I can't even imagine trying to speak an Oriental language, let alone sing something! What's most amazing is how well these folks were schooling the United States on their own rock'n'roll invention at the same time we were over there killing them as fast as we could. Like this group, Katherine & The Firebyrds. They were from Cambodia and I have to wonder if any of them are still alive. If they managed to survive Nixon bombing the shit out of them, I doubt they were as lucky when Pol-Pot was murdering his citizens by the millions. I discovered that this song is a cover of an obscure number by country artist Brenda Lee (of "Rocking Around the Xmas Tree" fame and here we are back at Xmas music again!). This version is absolutely haunting, with its Siren-guitar pulling its listener right into the rocky shore. Listening to it now, it's got a very strong "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals vibe.

Thank you!

Hey, this Tex-Mex, Tejano music is pretty interesting.

Origins

Europeans from Germany (first during Spanish time and 1830s), Poland, and what is now the Czech Republic migrated to Texas and Mexico, bringing with them their style of music and dance. They brought with them the waltz, polkas, and other popular forms. However, it was not until the Mexican Revolution (1910–1917) that many of these Europeans were forced to flee Mexico and into South Texas, where their musical influence was to have a major impact on Tejanos. --WP
The Euro influences are immediately obvious to me now, listening to this stuff. Wow. I mean, I've heard it in the past, but for some reason the obvious associations never really occurred to me. Polka... yeah, how 'bout that? :o

Another thing I like about this stuff is that the castellano is so basic. A nice way for me to work on my comprehension, since I left my mother country at such a young age, never coming close to finishing my skills.

And... stoopid bluetooth earbuds run out of juice, right on cue.

More later.

Btw, there's a "Name that Tune" app I sometimes play while killing time, when there's wifi nearby. It's this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=quess.song.music.pop.quiz&hl=en_US

It's not bad, not great. Disregarding the contemporary crap, it has some fun music categories, like:

Rock / 60's / 70's / 80's / Musicals / Alternative / Gospel

So far I haven't really found a better one for Android. The best one I ever played was "Name that Tune" for MAME, which was last updated in... early 1986. Hehe.

Bill - I checked out Soma.FM. There are a lot of interesting stations. I was drawn to the 70's Left Coast station for memories of high school and college. I love the ambient music stations for when I'm reading, I find if there are lyrics involved I get distracted too easily. Django Reinhardt is also a favorite of mine, along with Stefan Grappelli. Love that "gypsy swing."

Nic - There is something primal about roots music that seems to immediately soothe the soul. For me this is true whether it is a Native American flute, a Peruvian charango, or a Celtic bagpipe. My background is in anthropology, and I've always been fascinated by the theory of "genetic memory." Basically, that common experiences of a species become incorporated into the genetic code. Ancestral music could potentially be part of our genetic makeup.

There really is a polka influence in that Tejano music, isn't there? It's like polka that's not boring! It was just a few years ago that the last 24-hour-a-day polka station bit the dust here in Wisconsin, but there's still plenty of polka shows for people that want to hear the same song over and over again. I'll take the Tejano, thank you very much!

I may have to try that app out! It has some very interesting categories. My brother-in-law got me an Alexa hockey puck a few years ago. About the only real use I've found for it besides the weather forecast and answering every time someone says "Alexa" on TV is playing Song Quiz. That one's divided into decades, and you play against other players' scores. It's pretty fun. In the hundreds of games I've played in '60s and '70s I've never lost one single time! I did lose at Xmas music one holiday season, because they played "new" Xmas music. Not fair!

Oh, I dig that Left Coast '70s station! I remember trying to turn Arne on to that in one of my posts... I don't know if he ever got around to listening to it. When I get the "classic rock" urge, I always head to Acid Flashback Radio. They really go out of their way to do something interesting with what can be a predictable format. One time they were playing a Pink Floyd chestnut from the Wish You Were Here album... I think it was the song "Welcome to the Machine"... but instead of playing the same ol' number, they played a version with Stefan Grappelli on violin! I had no idea such a thing existed!

I've taken a rather surprising interest in archaeology in the last few years. I've managed to find some Great Courses recordings and have listened to quite a few lectures presented by Dr. Brian Fagan. That dude knows his stuff! One book I've read that is sort of in the archaeology bailiwick that I can't recommend highly enough is The Ends of the World by Peter Brannen Mr. Brannen walks through the various extinction events our planet has faced, and makes some very interesting observations. The biggest boon to the study of paleontology in America was Dwight Eisenhower's Interstate Highway program. The construction blasted through so much rock and dug up so much ground that it made fossil-finding and locating fossil sites much, much easier. Weird.

Last edited:
...I've always been fascinated by the theory of "genetic memory." Basically, that common experiences of a species become incorporated into the genetic code. Ancestral music could potentially be part of our genetic makeup.
That's purty darn inneresting, and certainly makes sense to me. I'm thinking it might also explain a lot about how many facets of our greater culture works.

Now, based on WP, flutes in particular evidently date back 40ky. I'm thinking even that short stretch (assuming constant reinforcement, which of course we don't know) might be enough time to make a genetic impression. What think?

Of course, banging objects together for sonic / sonal purposes (as well as singing, which birds and arguably guinea pigs do) undoubtedly dates back much further, so we're likely looking at human-made music dating back far, far longer than a mere 40ky.

Btw, note-- I happened to attend the same HS as Todd Rundgren (and Jim Croce & Tina Fey, if it matters). Like, we kids certainly bang on a drum! :)

@Bill (or LVC if you prefer),
Just finished downloading the Singapore collection, thank you! Btw, have you listened to Soma's cover stream / collection? I find it rather unpredictably wonderful, or wonderfully unpredictable, either way. :p

Btw, I just randomly heard a beaut of a Christian song cover, which I'm thinking I should duly post on my FB wall. (like, when a Buddhist-type mofo posts a Christian song, you just know something's up!)

EDIT: In terms of anthropology and Jungian memory (etc), the 50ky - 200ky range seems especially interesting in that such is approximately the timeline / separation point in which modern humans emerged, i.e. H.s.s.

In particular, that subspecies breakthrough represents a significant change / development in certain brain regions from what I understand, such as the prefrontal cortex IIRC.

Bill: Arne used to talk about an internet radio station that he enjoyed listening to, so I'm certain it was because of your recommendation.

I've read some of Fagan's "Ancient Civilizations" book. "The Ends of the World" book sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

My husband is a geologist, so I've spent many an afternoon parked near a highway road cut checking out the fossils beds. My favorite fossils are the trilobites (an extinct marine arthropod that would roll into a ball, like a pill bug, for self-defense) and the archimedes bryozoan (that resembles a corkscrew).

Attachments

• trilobite.jpg
    trilobite.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 191
  • archimedes bryozoan.jpg
    archimedes bryozoan.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 179
Nic: I've always felt that modern man has underestimated the intelligence of our predecessors. Our ancestors began making stone tools (hammers and crude stone knives) 2.5 million years ago. There is evidence that Neanderthals, 60,000 years ago, buried their dead in caves, and although it has been disputed, they may have even placed flowers or other ornate ornaments on the graves.

There are many amazing archaeological sites around the world that boggle our minds. How did ancient Egyptians build the pyramids? How could the Incas fit those stones in Machu Picchu so precisely? How did the Druids place those stones in Stonehenge? We assume that we are more evolved and superior, and yet we cannot explain how these sites were constructed.

Regarding genetic memory... There may be a gene for perfect pitch. Many Asian languages rely on pitch for subtle nuances in phrasing. I don't think that it is a coincidence that perfect pitch has also been found to be more prevalent in Asian populations. I think that is fascinating.

Last edited:
Given your "catholic" tastes, Ike, I thought you might appreciate this little gem. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gyzbvGC5eNfmwlvIozMjB9JMKOEV3A8h This is a collection of Asian groups rocking and rolling in 1960s Singapore and, let me tell you, they do a fine job! Even on the occasion or two they don't handle the English language too well. But, hey, props to them! I can't even imagine trying to speak an Oriental language, let alone sing something! What's most amazing is how well these folks were schooling the United States on their own rock'n'roll invention at the same time we were over there killing them as fast as we could. Like this group, Katherine & The Firebyrds. They were from Cambodia and I have to wonder if any of them are still alive. If they managed to survive Nixon bombing the shit out of them, I doubt they were as lucky when Pol-Pot was murdering his citizens by the millions. I discovered that this song is a cover of an obscure number by country artist Brenda Lee (of "Rocking Around the Xmas Tree" fame and here we are back at Xmas music again!). This version is absolutely haunting, with its Siren-guitar pulling its listener right into the rocky shore. Listening to it now, it's got a very strong "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals vibe.

.../embed/ZGskmEOlXCQ
Ah, I just figured out why I couldn't play the YT stuff in embedded form. Note to self-- I have to copy the song code (in this case "ZGskmEOlXCQ") over to the YT site, then paste it in. Okay, problem sorted. Chrome was also freaking out about the i-code tags <> in the original post, hum..

Anyway, yeah! That Firebyrds song is lovely, and I do enjoy an echoey steel-guitar sound... bonus pts for the backing organ accompaniment. Kind of an iconic 60's sound, not terribly far from Surf Music, I'm thinking. (I wonder if there's a name for this style?)

Also, so far I'm through the first Singapore disc (now listening to the second), and it's really nice, indeed. TBH I'd undoubtedly have been completely useless at guessing this was 60's Asia, wow. To me it sort of sounds eveeerr so slightly garage-bandish, and charmingly so. Really sweet find, sir! :D

But yeah, I could see myself enjoying a string of movies like What's up, Tiger Lily?, with this kind of music subbed in for the Lovin' Spoonful's stuff. :)

EDIT: Really nice playlist, too. Lots of excellent B-siders there, many arguably right up there with plenty of overplayed A-side hits IMO.

Last edited:
Re: archaeology,
I found a digital version of "Ends of the World"... will add it to my reading list. Note that it will likely jump right past the two Star Trek 25yr anniversary books in front of it. (despite their high reputations, the first one at least started out as a crashing bore)

Trilobites could roll up like isopods? That's really cool, makes a lot of sense, and I'd never heard that before. Neat!

I've always felt that modern man has underestimated the intelligence of our predecessors. Our ancestors began making stone tools (hammers and crude stone knives) 2.5 million years ago. There is evidence that Neanderthals, 60,000 years ago, buried their dead in caves, and although it has been disputed, they may have even placed flowers or other ornate ornaments on the graves.
My feeling is that modern man is commonly so focused on productivity, self gratification and lucre-accumulation that collectively he tends to underestimate everything around him, including the high degree of animal programming in our own brains and tissues.

Animals like crows and elephants (etc) can hold funerals, too, and IIRC Neanderthals were estimated to have larger cranial space than us, and to be of roughly equal intelligence!

Personally I've concluded that tribal life was humanity's healthiest, most mutualistic and most appropriate form of living, and that our industrial / high tech civilisation is something which has only existed for a brief moment in history, and will soon enough be blown away like a leaf in the wind via natural processes. But... maybe I digress. :p

There are many amazing archaeological sites around the world that boggle our minds. How did ancient Egyptians build the pyramids? How could the Incas fit those stones in Machu Picchu so precisely? How did the Druids place those stones in Stonehenge? We assume that we are more evolved and superior, and yet we cannot explain how these sites were constructed.

I'm given to understand that archaeologists have made some interesting breakthroughs on this stuff in the last few years & decades. I'll share a bit of what I've picked up in case it's of interest:

re: Egypt,
IIRC massive pyramid stones were likely transported by sleds (some found en situ in modern times) with the sand in front of them being systematically wetted so as to provide a nice gliding effect. Some of the other theories on that, such as groups of rolling logs underneath, have fallen out of favor it seems. In terms of the pyramids, I believe there's a well-developed and tested theory that proposes a massive spiral work ramp was likely constructed around the building, used to transport materials and for temporary stability, then removed once the... marble(?) tiles were plated around the pyramid as the final touch, long ago.

re: Incas,
My understanding is that the classic, painstakingly-carved stones in earthquake-resistant walls are not in fact all that deep along the Z-axis, and are actually a kind of facade. The interiors of the walls are filled with rubble, apparently. IIRC the really elaborate ones actually predate the Incas, and the art was already lost by that time, circa 1500 or so. The Incas stonesmiths would patch the walls sometimes, but the work is typically easier to identify because it's much rougher in nature. In many other cases of Incan architecture, evidently the walls were much simpler, simply because there was no good reason to spend massive amounts of time on them.

In any case, yeah-- certainly agree about how amazing the earlier works of man are. For me that would include places like Lascaux, impressive not so much for architectural reasons, but for what an enormous impression it can make on the psyche, i.e. descending in pitch darkness in to the deep, dark womb of the earth, then seeing those tableaus illuminated by flickering firelight, and perhaps even having a mystical sort of experience. That sort of thing.

Btw, the higher prevalence of perfect pitch in Asians makes a lot of sense to me given how important it is to pronounce things so exactingly in several (most?) of their languages. Maybe that also relates to how I find Asians to be good karaoke singers on average.

Last edited:
New Orleans Jazz Fest began today. I couldn't help but think of JonPurpleHaze, It's streaming live on wwoz.org

Holy crap, that trilobite is awesomely terrifying! Terrifyingly awesome!

I recently read a Star Trek 50th Anniversary Oral History by Gross and Altman. I wanted to mention it specifically, because it was kinda sucky. It seems that very few actors were involved in the project, so it becomes the same writers and producers saying things that get less interesting as they go on. So... Beware!

Here's the thing that freaks me out about the Neanderthals. They were responsible for a lot of things that we often credit our Sapien founders for. That includes cave artwork, some of which seems to imply they were worshipping a god. Something about that absolutely stunned me. There's a lot of things the Neanderthals did that we've evolved beyond. We don't spend hours honing a piece of rock into a knife. We don't gather with our buddies down the street and throw spears at a herd of animals so our families can eat. But we sure as hell believe that there's an invisible man in the sky ready to grant us wishes. Of all the weird baggage to carry with us for the last 50,000 years, that one's the nuttiest.

What I really dig about that Singapore set is that how rock'n'roll is supposed to sound: young and raw with some talent mixed in there somewhere. That, and the fact that a bunch of Asians picked up on it so well that I'd put some of those recordings against America's garage bands at the time. There's also the fact that it's being strained through another culture, hearing what they think rock'n'roll should sound like. And, I gotta say... I like what they think!

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: arjen is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back