Bally Solved Wizard! (Bally, 1975) Requesting Help for voltage conversion

Carl_Hungus

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Wizard!, Twilight Zone, Joker Poker
Hello

I realize this is my first post, and I apologize if coming straight out of the gates with a question is a breach in etiquette.

I am trying to convert my US voltage Bally Wizard! machine to UK power. I have a little diagram stapled to the side (photos below) and jumping different lugs of the transformer makes basic sense. I am however, confused about one thing and that is the part that mentions:
LUG 5 (115 v Tap) on the 220/240 diagram

The other steps make sense, I already cut the jumps between Lugs 1 & 3 and 5 & 7, and have to solder a new jump from 3 to 5. Then move the line cord from Lug 5 to 9.

It looks like the top row 2,4, 8 and 10 all stay the same. But where is the wire that I need to attach to Lug 5?

I bought a insulated wire rated at 20amps to make the jumper between 3 & 5. I assume that should be enough?

I have a attached a few photos if that helps.

Many thanks for any assistance!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 222
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 213
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 220
Solution
for 230volt one side of line cord to lug7 and white/red wire to lug2 hi-line
for 220volt one side of line cord to lug9 and white/red wire to lug4
for 240volt one side of line cord to lug7 and white/red wire to lug4
as per your diagram , one side of line cord goes to lug 7 for 240volt or lug 9 for 220volt . you need to know your voltage its important. improper wiring might cause damage or fire to transformer. the other side of line cord connects to on/off switch and comes back as a orange wire that connects to lug 1. jumper lugs 3 & 5 is correct and no other wires get connected to them. lug 4 is normal coil voltage supply. lug 2 is called the hi-line and supplies a slightly higher coil voltage, usually used when the supply voltage is lower than normal

Thank you pinballdaveh. That's all very clear and makes sense. I do have a couple of questions though, if you don't mind.

I currently have the hi-line Lug 2 connected to the white/red wire but it states that it shouldn't exceed 230, and I may be running 240 here. Which lug should that be moved to in case? Should a different wire take its place? I'm guessing that it should be moved to Lug 4, as it shows a few less volts, but I don't want a bad guess to ruin the machine.

And to clarify, since you mention that 3 & 5 get jumpered together with no other wires attached, does the diagram in picture 1 (the UK voltage) specifically labeling Lug 5 is "Lug 5 (115 v Tap)" just there as a label for the Lug, not as an action to attach something to it?

Again, thanks very much. It doesn't seem like its much more than changing a few jumpers.

for 230volt one side of line cord to lug7 and white/red wire to lug2 hi-line
for 220volt one side of line cord to lug9 and white/red wire to lug4
for 240volt one side of line cord to lug7 and white/red wire to lug4

Solution
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: MoFloh has left the room.
      Back