• We have added Language Translations for French, Italian and Spanish menus, you can change your language at the bottom of every page, bottom left in the footer.
  • Spanish (Español, Latin American) translations have been added for the Forums and Resource Manager (Downloads). You can change your Language Here!

So how did you like that movie / TV show / book?

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
re: animated Batman,
I mostly stopped watching TV in the early 90's, but did manage to catch some of that new Batman animated series. I thought it was just great, taking some elements and influence from Frank Miller and Tim Burton's depictions, but creating something new and fresh, with touches of humor and maybe even subtle commentary that had generally been missing from cartoons for quite awhile. That's also the same series in which Mark Hamill played The Joker, right?

Too bad if they indeed just turned all that in to a template and stopped running with the concept.

Last edited:

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
I've been enjoying the first episode of Gerry Anderson's 1970 series "UFO" today. Gerry's the guy who made all those cool / ridiculous marionette shows in the 60's, such as Thunderbirds. (Remember that one?)

Those shows were pretty damn unique-looking (sort of Jonny Quest meets Gumby, deep in the Uncanny Valley) and undoubtedly had influence on other adventure & sci-fi series. (I presume so, anyway)

Anyway, UFO's premise is something about an alien species on a mission to collect humans, necessitating a joint Earth force to fight off the creeps. The allied forces are stationed in orbit, in the skies, on the ground, and even underwater(!), and must coordinate exactingly to fight off each incursion. It hardly matters, really. What's meant to grab you by the eyes are the costumes, the sets, the hairdos, the cute babes (and lecherous older men?), and of course, the quick pacing. It's all sort of a nifty, crude exercise in how to pull off a show about nothing, leaving you vaguely wanting more.

I must say, I think I prefer this kind of thing to today's counterpart movies, which mainly just drop in a convoluted plot and unnecessarily elaborate special effects. /rant!

Attachments

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I have watched the whole series. I loved it. It is odd how they pronounce UFO. It is something like - U Foe. It could be a British accent of it or something.

I saw Tenet at the movie theater. It is not that great. Too complex. It was like they intentionally made it complex because it could have been made less complex without causing any problems.

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
Yeah, I gather "U-Foe" is the common British pronunciation.

Something I forgot to mention above is that the sequel to this series got delayed, but wound up turning in to "Space: 1999," which ran about five years later. Shouldn't be totally surprising, as there's certain similarities in pacing and style.

In terms of style, what I found quite amusing was the color and style-matched hairdo's on the space station:

...as well as the standard fishnet uniforms of the underwater division:

Evidently there was even a line of toy figures, which seems unusual to me for a fairly niche series that only ran one season:

(I must say, that's an unusually high level of facial detail for this kind of toy!)

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I didn't know that. I watched all of the "Space: 1999" episodes also. Martin Landau was one of the best actors.

I thought the purple wigs were rather odd myself. I guess the intent was to make them look more modern.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.