Help Are there are any hip-hop artist themed tables?

Dubiouslee716

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Pinbot
I see all of the classic rock groups and even some pop rnb (Michael Jackson) with tables but what about the great hip-hop artists like a tribe called quest, Busta, Gangstarr, ice cube, cypress hill, snoop, etc.? I know I can't be the only person with this thought...I am not a designer by any means but I am a new vpin fan and an avid hip-hop historian/DJ....would love to connect with a designer to advise and collaborate to help bring something like this to life for the community.

There is a great MF Doom WIP that's close to finished I think, but the author has been on hiatus for a few months. I don't know of any others that are being made right now, unfortunately; the pinball scene definitely needs a bit of variation from all the rock pins!

There is a great MF Doom WIP that's close to finished I think, but the author has been on hiatus for a few months. I don't know of any others that are being made right now, unfortunately; the pinball scene definitely needs a bit of variation from all the rock pins!
Yeah that is weird that there are none. I would think 50 cent at his height, Eminem or something...not even MC Hammer.

Yeah that is weird that there are none. I would think 50 cent at his height, Eminem or something...not even MC Hammer.
Pinball traditionally seems like a pretty white bread, boomer / Gen X kind of hobby to me. Yeah, it's true that younger generations have gotten in to it a bit since then, but I'm guessing a lot of them are also young-enough to have missed those classic artists you mentioned above. So it's a bit of a weird situation, and that's a partial-explanation, at least.

Probably the most practical way of working on this project is to pick a table design you really like and then re-theme it to artist of choice. You'd need to design some new artwork for it and pick out some good sounds and tracks to play. EM tables would be easiest, but some have done this with ROM tables.

@xenonph in particular has done a lot of work with this via his "NFL" series if you saw those. (i.e., those tables did not start out NFL-themed!)

I sure wouldn't mind playing Big Daddy Kane, Stetsasonic, KRS-One tables... :-)

Pinball traditionally seems like a pretty white bread, boomer / Gen X kind of hobby to me. Yeah, it's true that younger generations have gotten in to it a bit since then, but I'm guessing a lot of them are also young-enough to have missed those classic artists you mentioned above. So it's a bit of a weird situation, and that's a partial-explanation, at least.

Probably the most practical way of working on this project is to pick a table design you really like and then re-theme it to artist of choice. You'd need to design some new artwork for it and pick out some good sounds and tracks to play. EM tables would be easiest, but some have done this with ROM tables.

@xenonph in particular has done a lot of work with this via his "NFL" series if you saw those. (i.e., those tables did not start out NFL-themed!)

I sure wouldn't mind playing Big Daddy Kane, Stetsasonic, KRS-One tables... :-)
Oooooooh you hit that golden era right! If there's Aerosmith, there should be a run-dmc table. A juice crew table? Native tongues? Nwa era? Ok you see where I'm going.

I grew up gen x loving arcades and pinballs since I could hear and see the action. If you're referring to the NFL tables that are team specific, then @xenonph I would love to link up and brainstorm. Could you imagine a wutang clan table with a 3d odb?!?!?!?!
À Ye table could be dope with 3d Yeezys....
Okay...let's get this going people.

Oooooooh you hit that golden era right! If there's Aerosmith, there should be a run-dmc table. A juice crew table? Native tongues? Nwa era? Ok you see where I'm going.

I grew up gen x loving arcades and pinballs since I could hear and see the action. If you're referring to the NFL tables that are team specific, then @xenonph I would love to link up and brainstorm. Could you imagine a wutang clan table with a 3d odb?!?!?!?!
À Ye table could be dope with 3d Yeezys....
Okay...let's get this going people.
Btw, I probably should have mentioned other examples too, not just XenonPH's work. If you google "VP" or "FP" plus "reskin" you'll find a wider array of examples. Also check out Iceman's stuff right here:

In every case, he started with a table with a different theme.

Dubious, I think the best way to start this project is to go in to either VP or FP, load up a table, and then look for the images / texture manager. Scroll through the list checking them out, and save one or more locally to your machine. Then open up a graphics editor, like Windows Paint, GIMP, Photoshop or whatever.

Make some changes to the graphic, save, and then reimport that image in to the pinball editor. Rename the original version of that graphic so that it ends in ".bak" or something, then change the graphic you imported to the original one's name. Run the table again, and now you should see your modifications on display.

This is basically how you change (or "reskin" or "re-theme") a table's graphics to something fresh. Just that you'll eventually want to do it with most of the table's images, not just one.

Next step would be doing something similar with the sounds, but this is the best place to start I can think of.

I currently am busy with a few projects, but I also love to help people!! (So what will one more project hurt!!)
I am not the greatest with the graphics, but I can script any music and soundfx into any table, exactly how you want it.

Btw, I probably should have mentioned other examples too, not just XenonPH's work. If you google "VP" or "FP" plus "reskin" you'll find a wider array of examples. Also check out Iceman's stuff right here:

In every case, he started with a table with a different theme.

Dubious, I think the best way to start this project is to go in to either VP or FP, load up a table, and then look for the images / texture manager. Scroll through the list checking them out, and save one or more locally to your machine. Then open up a graphics editor, like Windows Paint, GIMP, Photoshop or whatever.

Make some changes to the graphic, save, and then reimport that image in to the pinball editor. Rename the original version of that graphic so that it ends in ".bak" or something, then change the graphic you imported to the original one's name. Run the table again, and now you should see your modifications on display.

This is basically how you change (or "reskin" or "re-theme") a table's graphics to something fresh. Just that you'll eventually want to do it with most of the table's images, not just one.

Next step would be doing something similar with the sounds, but this is the best place to start I can think of.
Reskin? Wow. This is the way. Going to get my project started at some point soon with this all in mind! Thank you so much for getting it going with the basic instructions!!!
Challenge accepted. Patience as I am a beginner Jedi. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

I currently am busy with a few projects, but I also love to help people!! (So what will one more project hurt!!)
I am not the greatest with the graphics, but I can script any music and soundfx into any table, exactly how you want it.
Greatly appreciate any and all support fam. Thanks And will definitely hit you up once I get the visuals going.

Reskin? Wow. This is the way. Going to get my project started at some point soon with this all in mind! Thank you so much for getting it going with the basic instructions!!!
Challenge accepted. Patience as I am a beginner Jedi. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾
Coolio, Padawan.

I'd say just start small and ask questions here or in one of the help sections. A lot of people on PN are good at working with graphics and can no doubt answer Q's. Me too, I hope!

Btw, were you thinking of working in VP or FP? This section is actually for Unity's "Pinball Creator," but it would better be moved to one of the WIP sections.

I am going to guess he has chosen VP, as I have never worked on a FP table.
Moving post to Visual Pinball WIPs, Requests section.

@dubious716,
Just for fun I tried asking for ideas for a Busta table in "Dall-E mini."
They weren't great; maybe about the same level as "Stable Diffusion."

I'm pretty confidant that "MidJourney" would do a much better job, but that one's paid right now.

Attachments

• craiyon_222637_A_pinball_machine_themed_to_rapper_Busta_Rhymes.95.jpg
    craiyon_222637_A_pinball_machine_themed_to_rapper_Busta_Rhymes.95.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 7
I made a Break Dancing mod a long time ago for VP9 out of Break (Videodens, 1986).

DT mod

FS mod

This was when I first started modding so it more of an embarassment now, as I didn't know what the hell I was doing back then!
I added new bumpercap images, did some work on apron, and added BREAK letters to drop targets. And added music.
I will eventually update this table to VPX and fix all the music timers and such. (I didn't know how to add timers back then.)
The graphics need to be upgraded also.

break--video-dens-1986--d-mod-v10a.png

break--video-dens-1986--fs-d-mod-v10.png

Cool beans. So what tables are you currently working on, Chaz?

I remember people pointing out that Curly Howard was the first urban breakdancer via clips like these (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=curly+howard+breakdancing). I'm not sure I totally buy it, but as a lover of all things Curly, it did give me a giggle.

Btw, way back in the day, I used to play this game on my C64. It was pretty impressive for it's time:

:check: whitebread announcer trying to rap XD

Cool beans. So what tables are you currently working on, Chaz?

I am currently helping someone with a Star Wars themed table. (All I can say without giving away name of it.)
I am just doing the sounds and music, and they are doing the graphics.
I think the community will like it!

While not VP or FP , I remember Pinball Dreams on Amiga had a hiphop themed table called BeatBox or something like that

While not VP or FP , I remember Pinball Dreams on Amiga had a hiphop themed table called BeatBox or something like that
Thanks for that. Added two versions of the PF to Media.

@dubiouslee76 I have added for you and for other futurepinball creators a ressource. A basic fp table, but that the width and size is bigger, so that users can have more table space for there own creations. You can find it here at:
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/resources/fp-template-basic-medium-table.8169/

Here is also in the tutorials section / end user guides. My old free pdf guides that can give you knowledges about creating some futurepinball games. You can find these guides at:
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/threads/my-free-futurepinball-pdf-guides-that-i-created.21190/

It could help you to create a fp hip hop artist table game. I have fiew "basic knowledges" about sound, music, script, 3d modeling. Yup a hip hop artists table would be a great idea.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Popotte has posted a new reply in the thread "How Do I Move a DMD on the Backbox Using Script...
      Back