Gottlieb EM Solved EM machine shocks

Electro-Mechanical Machines

ldj1002

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
em
I have a EM Gottlieb pinball that shocks me. Any ideas where to look for the problem.

Solution
on older gottlieb em machines metal flipper buttuns were used. so its possible for electric flow from button thru linkage to the switch. try insulating the end of the linkage at the L shaped bend that pushes on the switch with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape. when installing a new 3 wire cord hook the ground wire to transformer mounting foot for protection if the transformer fails or shorts to ground.
loosed wires near the flipper buttons maybe
hitting the cab itself resulting in shocks
check everywhere for a loose wire touching the side rails of the cab

does the machine have a 2 wire or 3 wire 120vac cord with grounding plug? if the machine has the original 2 wire cord its a good idea to replace it with a new 3 wire grounding cord . the cord comes into the machine and connects usually with wire nuts. the ground wire sometimes will only connect to the transformer mounting foot screw. in addition to that i run a #18-16 gauge green stranded wire from the ground wire to the machines front door frame mounting bolt and nut and the top crossbar latching assembly bolt or screw. then when the top crossbar is latched in possition the side rails will be grounded also. check the switch insulating paper ( called fish paper ) on the coin door switches, reset button, and flipper buttons for worn or cracked off paper. reset button fish paper is important because on some early em machines 120vac was used in the in the reset button switch circuit and may cause a bad shock. new line cords and fish papers are availible at pinball resource and the green wire at radio shack.

This machine has been at my Grand Daughters for a couple years. I just got it to my house tonight. Will look into it starting tomorrow. The machine does have the 2 prong cord. also she said it would shock sometime, not all time. She said if it would shock it was after playing 20 min. or so and that it is the right flipper button that did it. Will look into it starting tomorrow. What is bad when something is intermittent like this, it just will take time to know if it is fixed or not unless I find something very obvious.

OK TODAY SUNDAY. I can't find anything obvious in the wiring except one light bulb socket is broken from the hold down mount. It could move and get against the metal right under the glass that gives instructions etc. but that metal doesn't touch anything conductive. Besides the part of the socket that could touch would be ground, I therefore don't think that is it. The flipper button had no electrical connection, it is a linkage(lever) that mashes the contact under play field. So I don't see how that could shock. However all around the button is metal so maybe that is what was shocking but if so why only when button was pushed? The AC power cord has 2 wires, one to a fuse then on into a wire bundle, the other goes to transformer, both are soldered. I guess I'll replace that ac cord but where would I put that 3rd ground wire? The transformer is mounted on wood so I can't see how it would do anygood to mount it to one of those mounts.

does the machine have a 2 wire or 3 wire 120vac cord with grounding plug? if the machine has the original 2 wire cord its a good idea to replace it with a new 3 wire grounding cord . the cord comes into the machine and connects usually with wire nuts. the ground wire sometimes will only connect to the transformer mounting foot screw. in addition to that i run a #18-16 gauge green stranded wire from the ground wire to the machines front door frame mounting bolt and nut and the top crossbar latching assembly bolt or screw. then when the top crossbar is latched in possition the side rails will be grounded also. check the switch insulating paper ( called fish paper ) on the coin door switches, reset button, and flipper buttons for worn or cracked off paper. reset button fish paper is important because on some early em machines 120vac was used in the in the reset button switch circuit and may cause a bad shock. new line cords and fish papers are availible at pinball resource and the green wire at radio shack.

Last edited:
on older gottlieb em machines metal flipper buttuns were used. so its possible for electric flow from button thru linkage to the switch. try insulating the end of the linkage at the L shaped bend that pushes on the switch with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape. when installing a new 3 wire cord hook the ground wire to transformer mounting foot for protection if the transformer fails or shorts to ground.

Solution
personally I wouldn't plug in any pin that didn't have a three prong plug
but having worked at a company that loved to break off the ground plug prong
yes you can play them but if they short out you may be in for a heap of trouble
since that third prong (grounding prong) may short out a major component of the pin
like possibly a board somewhere

That linkage to flipper button is already insulated with small rubber hose over it. If it didn't come from factory that way then someone has done it in past,---maybe someone was getting shocked before.
I will now put the 3 wire plug on it

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, A pirate, known for his seafaring adventures and notorious escapades, found himself in a rather peculiar situation. After a particularly rough storm that had battered his ship and crew, he realized that they were running low on provisions and, quite embarrassingly, that he was in need of adult diapers due to an unfortunate bout of seasickness that had left him with a weakened constitution.

With a grumble and a scowl, the pirate docked his ship at the nearest port town, a bustling marketplace known for its variety of goods and fresh seafood. He tied his ship securely at the harbor, adjusted his tricorn hat, and made his way to the market with a swagger in his step, trying to maintain his fearsome reputation despite his current mission.

As he walked through the crowded streets, the pirate attracted curious glances from the townsfolk. His appearance was striking, with a weathered coat, a hook for a hand, and a parrot perched on his shoulder squawking,
    • Haha
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    (AI prompt) Why did the pirate have an eye patch?
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Pirates are often depicted with eye patches in popular culture, but the reasons for this vary. Here are a few possible explanations:

1. **Injury**: The most straightforward reason a pirate might wear an eye patch is that they lost an eye due to injury. Pirate battles, sword fights, and the general hazards of seafaring life could easily lead to eye injuries, necessitating an eye patch.

2. **Myth and Stereotype**: The image of a pirate with an eye patch has become a stereotype perpetuated by movies, books, and other forms of media. It's part of the romanticized pirate image that includes peg legs, hooks for hands, and parrots on shoulders.

3. **Preserving Night Vision**: A more interesting and practical theory suggests that pirates wore eye patches to keep one eye adapted to the dark. When moving between the bright deck and the dark below decks, a pirate could switch the patch from one eye to the other. The eye that was covered
    nope... it was because a seagul shit in his eye the day after he got the new hook fitted
    • Haha
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    He couldn't scratch his eye, or tried and had to get the patch because of the hook...:pirat:🏴‍☠️🪝
    Reactions: Free Bally!
    ahh well, back to work tomorrow
    Looking at Tuesday for a real day off, ahhh
    Hope you find your keys!
    But working long every darned day has (Finally!) cleared up pain in my hip that has plagued me since April
    haha, naw the keys are long gone. HAVE to get a new pair of pants... Without A Hole In The Pocket!
    • Haha
    Get AC 4! you :pirat:
    Reactions: Free Bally!
    Got AC, weather-liars say i'll need an umbrella all weekend
    • Haha
    ohh oops
    you mean the pirate game!
    AC = Assasin's Creed...4...Black Flag.
    heh, they all look like pirate queens, instead of a gig on the beach, the Law Of The Sea says they have to fight until there's only one
    ahoy, have to go make some salad of fish chunks flavored to taste like crab, have a salty Friday ya scallawag!
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    Free Bally! has left the room.
    yirmiahu has left the room.
    Guenther has left the room.
    alain.rev has left the room.
    eduguitar72 has left the room.
    mickcarmone has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: mickcarmone has left the room.
      Back