Stern WIP Recreation BAM FP Pirates of the Caribbean Stern 2.0

Future Pinball
In the real world modding exists (for whatever reason) so why not in virtual world where it is cheaper? :D

Keep in mind that I used small letters and a smile as it was a comment in jest mostly :) I like what I've seen in your video so please continue with your work.
Don't worry I did notice the fact that you had made your answer a "whisper" but it still resonated with me because I really do not like it when tables are modernized at the expense of the original look. They usually look worse or odd to me in my opinion so it's very important for me that I don't cross that line.

And I think I did cross the line with the Parlay surface texture, with the enlarged curved text, rum barrels and cannon. I thought it looked fine when I did it as one of my first changes cause all of the textures were ugly but now that I've placed the wip classic backwall texture, it looks out of place so I will go at it again and bring it closer to the classic look of it. I think I will keep the plank though.

Which also brings me to the golden look that all of the metal parts were changed to in the Slam and Rom version. I've wanted to change them back to silver chrome since the start but since I'm new in the community as an editor, I'm not sure what is the etiquette for undoing someone's previous work.

On the topic of authenticity in a more serious way, it is just that I feel the original stuff is getting lost and we should also strive to preserve the original tables as they were created even if they aren't that great. I'm talking about visuals only though. game play is so subjective it is anyone's guess and virtual will never be able to be as real as the real thing anyway.
100% agree!

Not dead here lol. Real life responsibilities took over and was also waiting for a good guide to implement Fizx 2.0, which Terry released in December so I will take the time to go through reading it and doing the changes to the table.

Update:

FizX has been added to the table.

Have been working on a new 3D model of the chest. Here is a shot of the chest cover:
1673976124814.png

I've also been given the DMD animations and DMD fonts of the original table by Gin. A big thanks to him! Because some animations hide text and/or the score, it seems like it will be more difficult than I had anticipated to add them to behave 100% like on the real table. By default, FP adds the animations to the background and the text on the foreground. That being said, the other devs @Gimli @LtJazz on this site have provided a work around, which will require more time and experimentation on my behalf.

Last edited:
The chest looks like it has nice detail. Keep up the good work!

I need help with creating spotlights like the one coming from the Falcon in the DSA table. I assume it's with BAM but I've tried to replicate it but could not get it to work. Could someone share the code and steps to add this to a table?

I would like to add this effect, or at least test it out to see if it fits.

Thanks!

1675736688091.png

Spotlights are used with flashers only. The BAM spotlight command changes any flasher from a point light to a spotlight. Example:

Call FlasherNameExt.Spotlight(width, xpos, ypos, falloff)

Examples of them on Jaws BBE:

' ****** Spotlight settings ******

FlasherSpotLExt.glowradius = 0
FlasherSpotLExt.brightness = 1.5
Call FlasherSpotLExt.SpotLight(12, 28, 90, 3)

FlasherSpotRExt.glowradius = 0
FlasherSpotRExt.brightness = 2.0
Call FlasherSpotRExt.SpotLight(12, 332, 90, 3)

SharkFlashExt.glowradius = 0
SharkFlashExt.brightness = 0.4
Call SharkFlashExt.SpotLight(35, 18, 90, 5)

If you want a sample table, my version of Space Shuttle is probably the simplest. Just search the script for SpotLight and you find it. Spotlights illuminate the model of the shuttle.

You will probably need this code also. It unlocks the flashers so you can make them brighter. You will see it in the Space Shuttle.

xBAM.Lights.LockGlowBrightness = FALSE
xBAM.Lights.LockFlasherBrightness = FALSE

Try printing out the attachment and cutting out the circle shape. I use it to calculate the rotationAngle. Just place the center of it over the top of the flasher in the FP editor with 0 pointing straight up. The paper is translucent so you can see through it. Use the angle that points to the object you want to illuminate.

Attachments

• rotationAngle.jpg
    rotationAngle.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3
Spotlights are used with flashers only. The BAM spotlight command changes any flasher from a point light to a spotlight. Example:

Call FlasherNameExt.Spotlight(width, xpos, ypos, falloff)

Examples of them on Jaws BBE:

' ****** Spotlight settings ******

FlasherSpotLExt.glowradius = 0
FlasherSpotLExt.brightness = 1.5
Call FlasherSpotLExt.SpotLight(12, 28, 90, 3)

FlasherSpotRExt.glowradius = 0
FlasherSpotRExt.brightness = 2.0
Call FlasherSpotRExt.SpotLight(12, 332, 90, 3)

SharkFlashExt.glowradius = 0
SharkFlashExt.brightness = 0.4
Call SharkFlashExt.SpotLight(35, 18, 90, 5)
Thanks for the explanation Terry but I guess I'm missing something or doing something wrong. It's still not doing anything when I try to add it on my table.

So here is what I did:
-Created a Flasher in the FP editor and named it FlasherSpotTest, and placed it where I want it to light up the chest. I didn't detach the light but I'm assuming that still works if I wanted.
-I tried using the standard Flasher_ph model and the Nano_flasher model
-I tried setting the Bulb state in the editor to ON or OFF
-I added the code you specified like so:
---FlasherSpotTestExt.glowradius = 0
---FlasherSpotTestExt.brightness = 1.5
---Call FlasherSpotTestExt.SpotLight(12, 0, 0, 3) <- I'm guessing the xpos and ypos both at zero means that it's facing towards the back wall and level with the horizon
-I added FlasherSpotTest.State = bulbon under the new game start script

I start the table and no spotlight. My other flashers are working. Just not with the spotlight code.

I've looked at previous tables with Spotlights, yours, George's and that's all I could find and it never worked for me.

What am I doing wrong?

Try adding the unlock code that I posted on message 34. The light is often so dim you can't see it.

Call FlasherSpotTestExt.SpotLight(12, 0, 0, 3)

xpos = x rotation. So adjust that to see which is rotated towards the back of the table where you want.

ypos = y rotation. Set to 0 = light points directly down towards the playfield. 90 = pointing horizontally / level with the p[layfield. 180 = point up to the sky

Your table's lighting and the BAM lighting and Post Processing will determine how easily the light can be seen.

---Call FlasherSpotTestExt.SpotLight(12, 0, 0, 3) <- I'm guessing the xpos and ypos both at zero means that it's facing towards the back wall and level with the horizon

I think the spot is pointing straight down. If the flasher is on the surface of the table, you won't see it. Try adding the flasher to a surface at a height of about 90 mm. That should raise it up high enough to see it on the playfield.

' Flasher1Ext.SpotLight(coneAngle, rotationAngle, verticalAngle, falloffAngle)

' coneAngle - the size of the spotlight
' rotationAngle - clockwise rotation angle. Zero is table-up
' verticalAngle - vertical angle. Zero is down straight into the playfield, 90 deg is horizontal.
' falloffAngle - allows making edges of the spotlight to blur.

Thanks Terry and George for the help! I did not understand the vertical angle axis so that's why I could not see it. It's working now. It was on a surface but it wasn't bright enough for me to see the difference.

Try adding the unlock code that I posted on message 34. The light is often so dim you can't see it.

And sorry George, I had meant to reply to your post yesterday but forgot. The unlock codes were already in the table script.

Is this normal behavior for BAM Spotlights?

#1 is where I place the nano flasher
#2 is the first impact point of the spotlight and it's very faint
#3 the spotlight is lighting the sails through the chest and lighting it with the intensity that I would like to see on the chest

I guess it was working when I was trying it, but I just couldn't see it

FlasherSpotTestExt.glowradius = 0
FlasherSpotTestExt.brightness = 10
Call FlasherSpotTestExt.SpotLight(10, 330, 90, 3)

1675911172876.png

I take it you want to light the chest. The flasher might be too close to the chest but you might try increasing the coneAngle. I have had problems with light shining through objects. You can try right-clicking on the chest and selecting either send to forward or back but it probably won't help. It is a way you can set plastics at least so they are either translucent or opaque. You will probably have to place the flasher much higher and aim it down so light that goes through it and around it hits the playfield and does not shine through other objects.

yes I was trying to light the chest. I tried with different coneAngles. It would make the circle larger on the chest but not brighter, not like the sails like in the screenshot.

I'll try from above and see if that works well! If that works well, then I'll do the same for the ship green lights.

yes I was trying to light the chest. I tried with different coneAngles. It would make the circle larger on the chest but not brighter, not like the sails like in the screenshot.

I'll try from above and see if that works well! If that works well, then I'll do the same for the ship green lights.

You can go above 1 on the brightness now with the flashers unlocked. I guarantee you can get the flasher so bright that it will turn the whole screen white with light.

---FlasherSpotTestExt.glowradius = 0
---FlasherSpotTestExt.brightness = 1.5

But I have it at 10 lol

-I increased it to 100 and it's the same on the chest and sails.
-I lowered it to 1 and it's the same on the chest, but the sails are not oversaturated now.
-I increased the height of the spotlight surface to 200 and pointed it down to direct the light only on the chest. The same thing for the chest. With more testing I realized that the spotlight light effect was low on the chest because the FP model color for the chest was a dark gray. Putting them to white made the texture much lighter and also allowed more light to show on the chest. It's still not as high as other surfaces being hit but I suspect it's the model which should be fixed once I start using the new models I am making.

The one thing I wasn't able to rectify was the chest not blocking the spotlight from going through it and is still hitting other surfaces behind it. This was not changed even by using the Send to Front option on the chest, and the Send to Back on the flasher. Other surfaces are blocking the spotlight from going through them so again thinking the model is at fault here. I'll do some more testing with toy models to see if that is normal behavior. The old models could be missing values.

If I recall correctly flashers going through objects is something you cannot solve. Sorry to be the one bringing you the bad news.

-I increased it to 100 and it's the same on the chest and sails.
-I lowered it to 1 and it's the same on the chest, but the sails are not oversaturated now.
-I increased the height of the spotlight surface to 200 and pointed it down to direct the light only on the chest. The same thing for the chest. With more testing I realized that the spotlight light effect was low on the chest because the FP model color for the chest was a dark gray. Putting them to white made the texture much lighter and also allowed more light to show on the chest. It's still not as high as other surfaces being hit but I suspect it's the model which should be fixed once I start using the new models I am making.

The one thing I wasn't able to rectify was the chest not blocking the spotlight from going through it and is still hitting other surfaces behind it. This was not changed even by using the Send to Front option on the chest, and the Send to Back on the flasher. Other surfaces are blocking the spotlight from going through them so again thinking the model is at fault here. I'll do some more testing with toy models to see if that is normal behavior. The old models could be missing values.

This is pretty much what I expected. The only surprise is the color of the chest affecting the light. I didn't think of that. You will probably have to change the color of the chest and place the flasher much higher and aim it down so light that goes through it and around it hits the playfield and does not shine through other objects. The color of the chest is quite dark. I think it might look better if it were a bit lighter anyway.

Good to know Anon and George. I find that getting into FP dev means for every forward step you make, you have to often make many steps back to rethink/rework things so they work. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back