Bally Solved Popeye Saves the Earth (Bally, 1994) flipper problem

swatty

Swatty
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Twilight Zone
My Popeye right side flipper is acting up. Sometimes I can play a game or 2 fine, then flipper works once and awile then weak and jumpy. I cleaned the optos, switched left side flipper board to right with no change. Checked connections and reflowed opto board.
Anything else might be the cause? Left side works so figure voltage is good.

Last edited:
Solution
So problem solved I guess. I was working out of town so I took Popeye with me to my hotel room to fix a few things and shop out. Developed my flipper problem. Well got home today and everything works fine. Must be the power at the hotel I guess. But left side and everything else worked so I never checked. Rookie mistake I guess.
I would suggest inspection and cleaning of the end of stroke switch. BUT, I looked at your schematic and see a more complicated situation than usual. In your case the EOS is not carrying the coil current. Instead it grounds (Pulls Down) a 5 volt logic circuit on one of 3 flipper boards. There is a bunch of diodes in the flipper circuits to. To quote a certain star fleet chief engineer "The More Complicated The Drain-The Easier It Is To Stop Up The Plumbing". I still suggest cleaning and adjusting the switch but am not positive it's going to help. Spend some time looking at those diagrams for ideas how to proceed.http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1851

Last edited:
I had to come back and say that is one fine looking pin. I would be proud to own one. How do you rate it's play, sound and fun ?

Thanks Coil Smoke, I did mess with EOS but no luck. I did see something on i think it was u5 and u6 339 chips can go bad. Probably probe next. First time dealing with optos so kinda lost till I can get into it a minute.
I like Popeye alot, sounds are great and enjoy the play. My wife is short and can't see through the upper playfield but no problem for me. I grew up with Popeye, it's a keeper for me.

Intermittent coil operation is usually cracked solder connections. Check the solder side of the fliptronics II board for cracked solder connections. Reflow connections that look cracked. What right flipper is acting up, upper or lower?

I did reflow all soldier. It plays good then I loose hold on coil then it starts acting up. Going to replace EOS after work. But it's like it plays fine till it warms up. Lower flipper for sure but I think upper also.

Last edited:
Have you tried prevent the EOS contacts closing? I keep thinking about those diodes. I remember seeing a bridge rectifier, other diodes and snubber diodes that may play another switching role in the flipper circuits.It may be revealing to put a volt meter across the coil and look for changes as you play. Check resistance of the hot coil. I would try chilling flipper board components with a spray to locate failing part. Buy electronics chilling spray or try liquid butane, propane, refrigerant, can air duster upside down, Etc.

I have never been a fan of cooling sprays. If the spray leaves any residual moisture it can get into cracked connections or chip sockets and cause more problems than it solves. Reflowing solder connections using a magnifier and soldering iron. Use a dmm to check connections and traces.

So problem solved I guess. I was working out of town so I took Popeye with me to my hotel room to fix a few things and shop out. Developed my flipper problem. Well got home today and everything works fine. Must be the power at the hotel I guess. But left side and everything else worked so I never checked. Rookie mistake I guess.

Solution
Just been thinking about this. The right side of machine was up against the AC unit could it give off a frequency to mess up the optos?

That is certainly thinking outside the box. Does that a/c unit have digital anything and/or remote?

It is digital not sure if it had a remote but we played 40+ games now with no problems. Also the skill shot wheel was showing random values so if you got 10 million it might read spot animal.

Pins live in electromagnetic playland. I can't imagine an environment fuller of electromagnetic chaos than an arcade. Even within a single machine there are all kinds sparks, radio frequency oscillators and high voltage impulses that could play hell with sensitive electronics. Pinball circuits are designed to reject spurious signals and transients on the mains. It is not likely an appliance like an air conditioner would cause problems you describe, but maybe. Was it a Haier brand a/c ??? I hate Haire's mass produced, soon to fail, under performing junk. If an air conditioner was going to induce problems it would be a Haier. I bet it was a Haier ... Right?
Bye-d-way , That story of traveling with a pinball machine ... That's extraordinary. You actually had a 300 pound pinball machine in your hotel room ??? That is dedication and deserving of some kind of pinball award. An award for for greatest devotion to pinball OR for tallest pinball story to date, that is... Have you been reading Mr. Manley stories again?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back