Bally Solved Popeye Saves the Earth (Bally, 1994) No start and optic problem

swatty

Swatty
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Twilight Zone
I can't get my Popeye to start now that has worked great. I replaced 2 pop bumper assemblys and added LEDs. The test says short to gnd. on both start and extra ball buttons.
I have checked all wires very through for pinched or touching wires, I've tried a new switch in both buttons. I've found my ball 2 optic switch not working. Looked at transmitter side with phone camera and all are lit. Jumped receiver side on Q5 and nothing, the rest all jumped and showed switch worked. I reflowed pins and inspected optic PCB, all looked new.
So I don't think it is the optic emitter or receiver because it wouldn't jump.
Would this cause the start button problem? And any advice on trouble shooting optics?

Solution
This could be a switch matrix problem. Rows 2&3 are suspect. They both go to cpu board jack J209 (bottom right on cpu ). Try going into switch test and unplug J209,does the problem still show? If it does the problem is in the cpu board. Cpu board chip U18 is common to both rows and should be checked for corrosion across the pins or changed. Installing a chip socket first may help if chip needs to be changed again. The chip is a lm339n available at marco.
This could be a switch matrix problem. Rows 2&3 are suspect. They both go to cpu board jack J209 (bottom right on cpu ). Try going into switch test and unplug J209,does the problem still show? If it does the problem is in the cpu board. Cpu board chip U18 is common to both rows and should be checked for corrosion across the pins or changed. Installing a chip socket first may help if chip needs to be changed again. The chip is a lm339n available at marco.

Solution
It does still persist. Don't see any corosion. I will order the chip and socket. Thank you so much for the reply. I've been trying to educate myself on switch matrix and board testing and have come a long way but I get overwhelmed. And this is my first machine with any optics. Let you know if this works.

Diodes Replaced? Check polarity .

It was the u18 ic. Thanks again Pinballdaveh. My chip removal skills need improved though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Heard a different Aaron Neville song earlier, saw him in New Orleans...
      Reactions: xenonph
      Back