Silent Hill

Looks cool! The video link doesn't work though.

Looks cool! The video link doesn't work though.

There's no video link for the bugs, just a still image. The video link is in the middle of the post that shows how to make a model from a flat image.

This is the link. I think something might be wrong with this forum. For some reason, when I click on the link I go to Facebook. @JonPurpleHaze

Well, You got me what happened. The link worked fine after I pasted it in the previous post.

Well, You got me what happened. The link worked fine after I pasted it in the previous post.

I just went back and unlinked the link, and now it shows up correctly.

I copied the "text" from a FB post.... so there were probably hidden characters / formatting that got carried over.

that image of the underside of the bug reminded me of the scares i got from the creatures in half-life (1st one) jumped out of nowhere. At night, with phones... proper jumps from me too :D

Maybe there's a way to have them do that here and there or when you die with them on the screen? That would be cool especially in VR!

Great stuff Terry.

Silent Hill (PinEvent) - Pinball without "BALLS"?

Silent Hill will be BIG compared to typical pinball games. So that means it will be that much harder to complete if you are limited to the traditional 3 / 5 ball game.

So I decided to try something different. Instead of "Balls", I decided to have "Health" just like in the Silent Hill games.

You start with 100 health, and each ball that drains reduces health by a specific amount (this may be determined by an Easy / Normal / Hard mode same as the games as well). So it could be you lose 10 health with each ball drained, or maybe 15, or 20, etc.

You can increase your health a few ways:
  • the drop targets for the Health Drink gives you 25 health (and popups for outer lanes)
  • the drop targets for the Med-Kit gives you 50 health (and Ball Saver)
  • collect all Ampoule roll-overs gives you 75 health
  • collect hidden Ampoule throughout the different levels gives you 75 health
I'm working away with what free time I can get (doubt very much it will be done for Halloween), and what I have so far for the Midwich School is friggin' awesome... but I won't show it off until all of Midwich is done.

242531966_4532763190096467_2767389284965203462_n.jpg

242553296_4532765113429608_382502129756201049_n.jpg

Silent Hill (PinEvent) - Pyramid Head lives!

Woo Hoo! I've finished 5 out of 6 levels / sections of the Midwich School scene in my Silent Hill table for Future Pinball - BAM.

I was finally able to figure out how to get Pyramid Head working and complete with proper animation for his helmet head, as well as his Great Knife being animated as a proper weapon.

I knew how to convert / modify / animate characters and complex FBX models before (like Michael Myers in Halloween). This is something BAM and FP together fully support (VPX can only use simple OBJ models and no complex animation). However before if the model I converted had a weapon, then when I would auto-rig it for animation... the weapon would move and distort with the fingers, etc.

Now I figured out how to get it to work in Blender, and now the Great Knife is a separate model that uses the same armature rig and model animation as the Pyramid Head model, but it's properly attached to the right hand bone (but I still keep it as it's own separate model). Same idea for the Pyramid "head", as it would distort if it wasn't a separate "part" of the main model, and I needed to mod and attach it properly to the head bone. (this is something I need to do for Darth Vader now as well)

Now this dude is fully animated and looks amazing! I'm trying not to show too much in this pic as there is A LOT to see in each section of Midwich, and like RetroFlair 2's demo... you will see some stuff you never thought possible in virtual pinball before.

Once the 6th section is done, I'll make another EPIC video showing off the most freaky / disturbing / coolest pinball you've ever seen.

Silent Hill is not going to be a "normal" virtual pinball game!

1633232795396.png

Silent Hill (PinEvent) - Pyramid Head lives!

Woo Hoo! I've finished 5 out of 6 levels / sections of the Midwich School scene in my Silent Hill table for Future Pinball - BAM.

I was finally able to figure out how to get Pyramid Head working and complete with proper animation for his helmet head, as well as his Great Knife being animated as a proper weapon.

I knew how to convert / modify / animate characters and complex FBX models before (like Michael Myers in Halloween). This is something BAM and FP together fully support (VPX can only use simple OBJ models and no complex animation). However before if the model I converted had a weapon, then when I would auto-rig it for animation... the weapon would move and distort with the fingers, etc.

Now I figured out how to get it to work in Blender, and now the Great Knife is a separate model that uses the same armature rig and model animation as the Pyramid Head model, but it's properly attached to the right hand bone (but I still keep it as it's own separate model). Same idea for the Pyramid "head", as it would distort if it wasn't a separate "part" of the main model, and I needed to mod and attach it properly to the head bone. (this is something I need to do for Darth Vader now as well)

Now this dude is fully animated and looks amazing! I'm trying not to show too much in this pic as there is A LOT to see in each section of Midwich, and like RetroFlair 2's demo... you will see some stuff you never thought possible in virtual pinball before.

Once the 6th section is done, I'll make another EPIC video showing off the most freaky / disturbing / coolest pinball you've ever seen.

Silent Hill is not going to be a "normal" virtual pinball game!

View attachment 22024
I look forward to learning some of you new tricks. I have had to remove weapons prior to Mixamo animation as they would look like wet noodles....

I look forward to learning some of you new tricks. I have had to remove weapons prior to Mixamo animation as they would look like wet noodles....

This video helped me.

I still needed to keep the weapon as a separate model because whatever formatting Blender adds, still caused an odd distortion in BAM Model Importer.

So I placed the sword model in position of the right hand of the model (with no armature), and then did what the video shows more or less). If I didn't place it first, then when it got attached to the hand bone.... it would offset the position based on where the weapon was before rigging it. It's kind of tricky with Blender at times.

So in the end I ended up using two models with the same animation. I save a body only model, and than a sword only model (and I used transparent pngs for the body texture). Then I code them both to animate at the same time,etc.

So my workaround for the BAM model importer / glitch issue, actually ended up being a solution to being able to show / not show the weapon for a character whenever I want (since I can independently move the weapon model, or shrink it,etc).

I do find that some models in BAM tend to be "glitchy / distorted" if some BAM custom models are set to visible = false. It's a weird bug... so my workaround is just to have each model scale to 0 when I want them hidden.

I'm currently at 70+ BAM Custom models "so far" (characters and other stuff)... so this table is certainly maximizing BAM.

This will be a cool table. I have never been a fan of the macabre genre but this table is looking really good. It will be fun to give it a try.

Silent Hill (PinEvent) - Midwich School Teaser

Video Playthrough Preview Coming Soon!

After months of work... the EPIC video preview for Silent Hill you've been waiting to see is almost here!

Midwich School is a terrifying place that contains secrets... disturbing visuals... and horrifying monsters. Anyone who has played Silent Hill or has seen the movie will know what to expect.

This has been a MASSIVE undertaking. Unlike anything you guys have seen in virtual pinball. Anyone who has seen what I did (so far) with RetroFlair 2, will know I mean business!

You won't believe this "one" section of Midwich (and the rest of the game) is all in "one" pinball game... and there's much more to come!

I don't want to spoil the massive surprises and cool stuff you will see soon.... but it will be worth the wait!

(bad news is.... this table has a long ways to go until it's ALL done, but the Midwich part was probably the largest to do)

@Gimli
@GeorgeH
@ravarcade
@Gin
@AnonTet
@Isaac Sauvage
@shiva
@smoke
@Popotte

....anyone else I may have forgotten. :)

Silent Hill (PinEvent)

The Midwich school and Otherworld video preview is finally here! Horrifying pinball unlike anything you've seen!

After months of work, I can finally show off my first preview of the Midwich School and Otherworld levels of my Silent Hill table for Future Pinball - BAM.

This table is a complete game changer.... literally... as you will see the town of Silent Hill change in front of your eyes from the foggy town, to the Nightmare Alley, to the school classrooms (and more), and finally to the hell'ish Otherworld. You will see disturbing sights and monsters never before seen in pinball. You won't believe this is all in "one" table! It's a great visual showcase and unlike anything you've ever seen before... and there's more to come!

This table is my love letter to all developers and contributors to ALL Silent Hill games. It's my favorite game series, and this has always been the pinball table I wanted to make!

It's constantly evolving, and it's a crazy amount of work. Now I need to work on the Hotel, Hospital and Church levels... then it's on to finishing it with PinEvent. Lots more work to do!

Some interesting stats:

- 8 different playfields / levels (so far)
- 5 completely different sets of ramps and wireramps that change for each level
- 6+ sets of playfield and plastics art in 4K (so far)
- 80+ BAM custom FBX models (this doesn't include the normal FP "table" models).... so far
- thanks to Andrei Maraklov for help with rebuilding and texturing the Armless monster
- a crap load of texture animation (thanks to KenSwift for some AE help!). Don't want to spoil anything!
- thanks to Schreibi34 for his gorgeous insert images (i made bump maps and insert hole meshes. Looks great!
- thanks to Rom, as I used RetroFlair as a starting point for this table
- thanks to @ravarcade for so many awesome BAM features!
- lots of dynamic lights and dynamic spotlights that looks creepy and cool

I'm really held back a lot from what I "want" to do because of FP being 32 bit (table size limitations due to ram access....same as 32 bit VPX).

As you can see though, this table is already really BIG.

I don't want to spoil anything! So I highly recommend you watch from beginning to end as there are many surprises and wow moments to be seen that are all part of the progressing Silent Hill story. (remember what I said about RetroFlair 2)

Last edited:
@Gimli
@GeorgeH
@ravarcade
@Gin
@AnonTet
@Isaac Sauvage
@shiva

....anyone else I may have forgotten. :)

Silent Hill (PinEvent)

The Midwich school and Otherworld video preview is finally here! Horrifying pinball unlike anything you've seen!

After months of work, I can finally show off my first preview of the Midwich School and Otherworld levels of my Silent Hill table for Future Pinball - BAM.

This table is a complete game changer.... literally... as you will see the town of Silent Hill change in front of your eyes from the foggy town, to the Nightmare Alley, to the school classrooms (and more), and finally to the hell'ish Otherworld. You will see disturbing sights and monsters never before seen in pinball. You won't believe this is all in "one" table! It's a great visual showcase and unlike anything you've ever seen before... and there's more to come!

This table is my love letter to all developers and contributors to ALL Silent Hill games. It's my favorite game series, and this has always been the pinball table I wanted to make!

It's constantly evolving, and it's a crazy amount of work. Now I need to work on the Hotel, Hospital and Church levels... then it's on to finishing it with PinEvent. Lots more work to do!

Some interesting stats:

- 8 different playfields / levels (so far)
- 5 completely different sets of ramps and wireramps that change for each level
- 6+ sets of playfield and plastics art in 4K (so far)
- 80+ BAM custom FBX models (this doesn't include the normal FP "table" models).... so far
- thanks to Andrei Maraklov for help with rebuilding and texturing the Armless monster
- a crap load of texture animation (thanks to KenSwift for some AE help!). Don't want to spoil anything!
- thanks to Schreibi34 for his gorgeous insert images (i made bump maps and insert hole meshes. Looks great!
- thanks to Rom, as I used RetroFlair as a starting point for this table
- thanks to @ravarcade for so many awesome BAM features!
- lots of dynamic lights and dynamic spotlights that looks creepy and cool

I'm really held back a lot from what I "want" to do because of FP being 32 bit (table size limitations due to ram access....same as 32 bit VPX).

As you can see though, this table is already really BIG.

I don't want to spoil anything! So I highly recommend you watch from beginning to end as there are many surprises and wow moments to be seen that are all part of the progressing Silent Hill story. (remember what I said about RetroFlair 2)

Terry you are awesome !!
I am grateful that you have BAM FP to channel you creative genius

very cool watching you actualize in this realm

Terry you are awesome !!
I am grateful that you have BAM FP to channel you creative genius

very cool watching you actualize in this realm

It never would have happened if it weren't for guys like you, wild, George, rav, etc that kindly posted so many great examples and tutorials for BAM features!

Yah, I always said if I did my own original table this would be it. Glad I waited when I did, as essential BAM features perfectly appeared at the right time.

The only limit I have is table size. I'm already at 200MB, so I can't go too much more. If I didn't have this limit I'd have much higher resolution textures, bump mapping for MUCH more... and even more animated texture effects.

That said, this turned out much better than I imagined how it could look years ago (thanks to original models and assets from the games). I always knew what I wanted to do.... so its cool being able to actually do it.

Wow! I used to think that the FX2 and 3 tables were cool but this goes way beyond that. Amazingly creative! Beautiful lighting. The physics looked really good also although it is hard for me to tell how good physics are until I play it. I am curious how you set the tilt. It seems different than most tables.

Physics are just using the same normal dynamic physics I used on RF1 and RF2. Nothing new there.

Yah, I always like FX's creativity. They will never have a table that is graphic though... even though they have Aliens :)

I have to go ahead and say that this will probably be the best original pinball game ever... or at least for a VERY VERY long time.
Finding passion in this hobby is normal but to the point of pushing FP limits - and that's already an achievement in itself - how should I put it... well, take it as a compliment from me being speechless.

To give you guys an idea... here is how much VRAM Silent Hill is using, so far, lol. I have a GTX 1080 with 8 GB VRAM. It goes from 3GB used with no table loaded, and then goes to almost 6GB with Silent Hill loaded and playing, lol! This is running in 4K.

BAM FBX Custom models use up VRAM, and I'm using around 80 BAM Custom models so far... so no surprise there that a lot of VRAM is used. :)

unknown.png

I have the same card as you do so i'll be fine.

Monster table it is... literally ! :D

Silent Thr-Hill-er Dance Off!

The Monsters of Silent Hill wanted to get into the groove for Halloween! Watch them strut their stuff!

You also get a first preview of Lisa Garland, Dark Alessa, and Valtiel

Happy Halloween everyone!

The Monsters of Silent Hill wanted to get into the groove for Halloween! Watch them strut their stuff!

Wow that is the some crazy amazing stuff Big-T !!!

Cool! You seem to have a way with animated models.

This is frickin awesome! way cool..

Choreography in perfect sync with music (a great one if you ask me). If nothing else, this will give a perfect attract mode :)

I remember wanting a real table for the longest of times but watching this and other's tables progress I really wonder if I do need a real one. It's just how awesome virtual pinball has become and you are one of those I blame Terry, in the best possible way.

Thank you

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back