Silent Hill

Well, there's not a soundlist in FP. Guess you have to code a sub for each category of sounds for them to rotate.

I don't know... maybe based on ball velocity, instead? ;)

Well, there's not a soundlist in FP. Guess you have to code a sub for each category of sounds for them to rotate.

Just like in the pic for normal stuff like flippers etc... I just rotate through a random selection for each sound. Like 5 left flipper sounds, 5 right flipper sounds, 5 left slings, 5 right slings, 5 bumper top, 5 bumper bottom, etc.

As for using position and velocity,etc... that is done for ball rolling (smoke) and for ball rolling pup ssf, but I can't do that for other sounds for 5.1 / 7.1 for full SSF because FP only can output in stereo. So I trigger pup ssf for each sound with the position data entered for each sound.

The pic below is from my PUP SSF for SW DSA PE. the Counter data is the X/Z/Y position to play the sound in 7.1 space.

unknown.png

I noticed the code but forgot about the rest!

Don't forget to post a video with the gazillion LEDs blinking and the loudspeakers working hard :)

....and I spoke too soon!

Now I "can" pass on positional info to Pinup Player from table script (It's been a couple of years since I made PinEvent)! No need to enter anything manually into a pup-pack at all for SSF!

With ravaracde and Nailbuster's help, I created a new command that will figure out the position of the item on the table, and translate that to PuP SSF positioning. The new command will play the specified sound for FP audio (if enabled), and for PUP SSF (if enabled and detected), whiule also triggering DOF for cabinet feedback,etc.

The way I had to do it before combined with the pup-pack like in the above picture...

unknown.png

unknown.png

...and the much easier way to do it now. Just copy the needed sound files to the pup-pack folder for PUP SSF... and add them in OGG format the the table for normal FP sound.

unknown.png

Now I "can" use velocity, etc for controlling sounds / volume if desired (same as fleep does on VPX). May have no benefit as pup ssf tends to be lower in volume compared to FP sounds anyway.

My idea was just about "fast ball hitting something is louder" concept. Glad you pulled that off although I won't be abe to enjoy it live.

The Grand Hotel - Update 4
  • Run to the Church
  • updated lighting
  • Fleep sounds

After inspecting the Hotel, and sacrificial chamber... you need to run to the church, as you hear the eerie siren meaning the Darkness is coming!

Progress in getting this done is going much slower because I'm still sick... but I'm almost done the Grand Hotel Level! This turned out to be a much bigger section that I original expected it to be... and turned out really cool. Can't wait for you guys to see it. I'll do a demo video soon enough.

The updated lighting looks so much better... and the Fleep mechanical sounds are amazing!

As always... when this part is done... much more work to do... as the Hospital is next... and that will be a big part to do. Need to figure out exactly what to try.

church 1.png

church 3.png

church 2.png
church 5.png

church 6.png

Wow, I love that 'Gothic / Victorian' design.

I got so used to seeing that kind of thing in various video games, but somehow never quite noticed it's lack in pinball.

Lot of glorious potential with that kind of design, plus steampunk. "Sherlock Holmes" or "League of Extraordinary Gentlement" would make some dandy specific themes, I think.

How the hell do you get to use those insert? you edit the table image or use those as lens? I remember a pack of those for download somewhere and you mentioning them but, how to use them to look that good is beyond me.

I don't even have to comment on the rest of it anymore. It's just taking too long to try it out :D but I think you need to get better first and not overdo yourself on this. Take it easy and get well soon.

/edit
@Isaac Sauvage I was actually thinking of "The Shining" :D

My idea was just about "fast ball hitting something is louder" concept. Glad you pulled that off although I won't be abe to enjoy it live.

How the hell do you get to use those insert? you edit the table image or use those as lens? I remember a pack of those for download somewhere and you mentioning them but, how to use them to look that good is beyond me.

I don't even have to comment on the rest of it anymore. It's just taking too long to try it out :D but I think you need to get better first and not overdo yourself on this. Take it easy and get well soon.

/edit
@Isaac Sauvage I was actually thinking of "The Shining" :D

The inserts are actually two things:

- an insert "hole" model for each insert. Similar to the ornament hole model only in the shape of each insert. This is actually made as a bulb light, but it can be an ornament,etc. You can see similar on SLAMT1LT's T2 that used @polygame's inserts that did similar
- then I add a flat bulb model with the texture image of the insert (and bump map) and recess this inside the insert hole. This can either be a square shape, or in the shape of the insert hole. You just need to make the texture sized to work correctly with it

I did it this way so I could use the "walls / wood" inside the insert holes for the fire effects on Silent Hill and the Tron effects on RF2. You can use actual insert models inside the hole too, but it comes down to what works easer in the long run to get the look you want.

The insert images can be found at VPU:

...and these are actual jewel meshes:

The inserts are actually two things:

- an insert "hole" model for each insert. Similar to the ornament hole model only in the shape of each insert. This is actually made as a bulb light, but it can be an ornament,etc. You can see similar on SLAMT1LT's T2 that used @polygame's inserts that did similar
- then I add a flat bulb model with the texture image of the insert (and bump map) and recess this inside the insert hole. This can either be a square shape, or in the shape of the insert hole. You just need to make the texture sized to work correctly with it

I did it this way so I could use the "walls / wood" inside the insert holes for the fire effects on Silent Hill and the Tron effects on RF2. You can use actual insert models inside the hole too, but it comes down to what works easer in the long run to get the look you want.

The insert images can be found at VPU:

...and these are actual jewel meshes:

I suppose you would have to make custom inserts for all the lights?

It looks cool. It sort of reminds me of the sets used on one of the Dune movies.

@Gimli @GeorgeH @AnonTet @NitroNimbus @ravarcade @polygame @JLou5641 @Paolo @smoke

...or anyone else who may be interested.

Silent Hill - new ray cast ball shadows, new shadowmaps, new lighting, and yet another new look:

I know many of you won't remember the "details" of how Silent Hill looked "before".

Here is how it looked BEFORE:

View attachment SH_Before updates.mp4

Here is the AFTER:

After playing around with BAM's new features here's what I've done:

- new lighting... dynamic (real) lights for almost everything (except inserts, can't do that)
- new playfield look, changed bottom inserts, new center art
- enabled new ray cast dynamic ball shadows which are effected by almost all lights on the table
- added shadowmaps to most lights
- added "baked in" ramps / wireramps shadows on the playfield and plastic for the main ambient / room light
(used BAM to create the shadows image from the main ambient light).
- normally the playfield shadows (for the ambient light) don't need to be baked in on a "normal table"... but I change up the playfield and wireramps / ramps to different ones during different parts of gameplay, which made this necessary

View attachment Ray Cast ball and ShadowMaps test.mp4

Limitations:

- ray cast ball shadows are rendered as part of the playfield texture (its not a separate layer)... so that means it won't render over holes (thats a good thing).... but this also means that it won't render over a separate decals layer or overlays on the PF that are not part of the playfield image
- it also means ball shadows can't render on the plastics layer
- I can only display 7 dynamic lights at one time (FP limitation)... but I can have as many as I want on the table

That said.... this looks SO much better... and the other levels in the game look even better!

When I'm done this update I'll probably have a bigger / better before / after video from the other levels too.

The pinball games play fast and the missing shadows over some objects are really overlooked unless you're looking for them. Don't worry about that.
And this might be weird to say considering the theme but this tables is gorgeous. I'm am still amazed on the fog effect. What an idea you had there. Makes the mood so much creepier in a good way. Love it.

Very beautiful!!! Fanatastic work! Hurry to test this or see this on 4k screen

Damn.. Tons of work, I thik its awesome how all of you figured out how to make FP so good.
I tried it once way way back probably 1st version and always passed by on it later.
Then I was bored with pbfx2 and 3 and went searching. First table I played was halloween I think and said holy shit
this is way better.
The above pup addition and making it come together with FP is fricking slick!!!
(ive been reading the examples etc in FPbuilder.. a lot of useful info and examples.) Thanks to all of you guys for
the work and testing.

It looks great! I plan to add it on my update to Space Shuttle.

Yep!! Got to say this is freakin' awesome!!!
Had a chance to test it on some tables, looks fantastic.
I just finished updating all my MOD 2.0 tables again to reflect the BAM updates and what I have learnt over the past 12 months.
It seems I get about a 3rd way through my table list and have to start again, once I see things like this it is a must have on every table for me.
Glad I am not posting my MOD's anymore, I would get complaints that I am using too many shadow maps on every table now, cheers! 🤪

@smoke,
Mate just wanted to thank you again for your ball rolling code, I added the old multiple trigger method to over 400 tables years ago.
Your new method is so much easier to implement, works great and sounds much better than the old.
I believe it should be a staple requirement on every table released.
Much appreciated!!, cheers!

@smoke,
Mate just wanted to thank you again for your ball rolling code, I added the old multiple trigger method to over 400 tables years ago.
Your new method is so much easier to implement, works great and sounds much better than the old.
I believe it should be a staple requirement on every table released.
Much appreciated!!, cheers!
What is the new method? I haven't added it very much.

@GeorgeH

I think he means the normal smoke ball rolling method, as opposed to adding triggers all over the table to try to recreate ball rolling. I've seen some older tables do this.

But you still have to use triggers for ramps don't you? and same for wire ramps?

I never really understood the ramps part. Actually, if there's a tutorial on this, point me to hit please.

I've always just used ramp and wire ramp sounds for that (nothing from the Ball Rolling method).

A tutorial on ramp and wire sounds using the rolling ball .vbs would be nice. ;)

I've published a demo table long time ago showing the use of ramp trigger to change the rolling sound to mimic rolling on plastic ramp or metal ramp

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: AnushDCosta is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back