StevOz

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
TMNT
Here's my new years project, finish Galaga88, using all the sounds and graphics from the arcade game and its flyers, I've got most of the layout in place, just need to add a bank of 3 spot targets slanted in front of the lower pop bumper and one above the right target bank, btw anybody got some of those spot target graphics?

I've yet to formulate the rules and I've managed to place a lot of features onto this table, so bringing it altogether is going to require some thought. Anyhows here's the screenshot thus far.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

* New theme is Street fighter. :o

Attachments

• g883.jpg
    g883.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,294
Looks good Oz. I bet Ruckage could help you with the graphics.

New screenshot, damn that editor crashorama, still got the basic layout done, after saving 10 or so different filenames and having to rename one manually. That middle plastic was hell, VP did not like it at all.

Also formulated the basic rules.

GALAGA awards Hold Bonus, Hold Multiplier, lights Extra Ball, Lights Special, then scores Special.

Left 4 bank 1988 targets advance multiplier 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x.

Lower twin spot targets lights lower right kickback.

Upper right spot target lights hidden left upper kickback.

Completing all three spot targets lights hidden kickback for 2 ball multiball.

Left inlane lights right loop.

Right inlane lights left loop.

Completing DANCING target bank starts 1 of five bonus modes, each with it's own Galatic Dancing music, mode lasts length of track 30 to 40 seconds.

1. Pop bumpers
2. Drop targets
3. Spot targets
4. Lanes
5. Spinners

All suggestions and feedback, always welcome.

Attachments

• g88xss.jpg
    g88xss.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 960
This layout looks ideal for a Future Pinball version sometime down the road...

Looks like the plastics in the screenshot are all black?

StevOz said:
Not a lot though a babe for bob and something to annoy tiltjp, lotsa script and sound added. [smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

rclu1h.jpg

Don't worry bob the stars will go, I have an idea or two, going to lift some backdrops from the arcade games using the Nebula emulator. ;)

Oh and building the playfield graphic with decals and low walls.

btw those stars, only there because this is a mod of TheGyruss, which was a mod of Blazing Trails. [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

hehe.....the copy 'n' paste almost worked. :)

All black, that will change....Destruk.

All comments always welcome, the good, the bad and the ugly. :twisted:

Yes bob, more scrabble tile drop targets left side 'VEGA', I'll do something else for the FIGHTER targets, just for you. ;)

New screenshot, getting there I think the playfield is looking good now, see John, I did a bit today. :)

Attachments

• sssf5.jpg
    sssf5.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 965
Nice progress Steve. Maybe we should chat every night, if it'll keep you motivated. Finally turned on my speakers, and I like the sounds. Some of them are funny, which is always good.

Another screenshot, with all the artwork in place now, all comments welcome...

With something interesting for rules and full sound, I think it would be a very fun table. Of course, if real, that right target bank would soon be all broken but the lowest one, just a very unrealistic angle, most hits would be on the very side. Standups may work better there IMO. Also, I like lighting what is hit, as you have it, but lights on things that still need to be hit, with a hit turning off the light is more common, isn't it?

There's no shortage of sounds, that's for sure with M1 I can grab all the sounds from several Street Fighter arcade games. Not sure why you would think those rightside targets would break? It's not that uncommon especially in earlier SS machines, Supersonic for example.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2455&depth=-1&picno=9711&zoom=1

The on or off light on hit, that is the question, I've actually no idea what is used more often, just used what seemed right to me.

As for rules I have some worked out, do you think these will be interesting enough? I try to design the rules so all of the table elements must be utilised.

Left 4 bank 1988 targets scores Hold Bonus, Hold Multiplier, then lights Extra Ball.

STREET advances multiplier 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x.

Pop bumpers score 100pts and 1000pts when lit.

RYU spot targets light Multiball and lower kickback.

U spot lights upper left kickback for 2000pts or Jackpot during multiball.

Jackpot scores 50000pts

FIGHTER lights Special, then scores Special.

Left inlane opens right loop and lights spinner for 1000 points.

Right inlane opens left loop and lights spinner for 1000 points.

Completing Loop shots lights lower inlane for 5000 pts.

The rules seem professional.

I've never liked that arangement for drops in real life either. That's no reflection on you.
I would like to see the cutouts in the playfield, especially for the target banks. It's easy to do. But much easier to do early.

That is just a couple of things, the first is not a problem, but my taste, the second is just a bunch of work, and the current state of the art don't demand that yet.

I only comment like this when I see something that's worthy of an extra touch.
Look at my posts. I don't list a hundred things to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but a couple of things when that is all I see in a work of art.

Looks like something FP could do, meaning that FP may have the parts. Are you gonna?

Looks cool Steve.

I'd try to figure out something to add to the playfield artwork still...it looks a bit empty now. Perhaps "pixelate"
the red middle playfield.....with "film grain" option.......try "difference clouds"...."mosaic tiles"...to make it look like street.... it's a "Street Figher", right?.... or something
else to fill these areas..... large areas should not be too smooth (imho)....it gives deserted and unfinished
appearance......when you use these options to add grain....it somehow "deepens" the overall playfield.

Just an idea. ;)

sfss63gs5an.jpg

Tiled surface, mmmmm, OK I'll look into that, not that I have any graphics skills, I'm pretty much a irfanview user only. Though that does look like a cool idea and I should be able to do that with this table as all the table graphics are actually low VP walls with invisible sides. ;) So the grey bit is actually the only part of the playfield proper that is visible.

Slow down Steve! You're beginning to remind me of PD :)

Who was that masked man? :p

btw kristian, I did look for a texture similar to the one you used and I'm google whacked, so you got that in a 512x1024 texture, please. :)
I like the look of the graphic you used and nothing I've found seems as good. With a 512x1024 texture I can just map it straight onto the playfield.

I'm thinking of perhaps doing the same with the large yellow upper playfield texture wall, perhaps with an image of the sun.

Not sure about the red, perhaps a waving flag type texture, after all I modelled the graphic on the Japanese sun flag. Well at least that was easy to find, works well with a little cropping and colour enhancement. ;)

http://www.pickens.k12.sc.us/phsteachers/Band/Big Red Flag.jpg

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,057
Another shot, got the sun resized, sharpened, colour enhanced and flipped over a couple of times, looks alright, what do you all think? Oh also managed to get a snapshot of the animated red pop bumper. ;)

Original sun shot here...

http://www.pict.com/tomi/astro/televue/images/sun/sun_041004l.jpg

Oh yes, also had to add a bit of black space to the bottom of the new image so it mapped onto the 'sun' playfield wall. Create empty black image ( mess with size to fit ) > save > create panorama image and done. :)

Attachments

• sunspot.jpg
    sunspot.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,124
Ah ha.....just for you bob, another WIP screenshot post. :mrgreen:

I've found a nice tile texture and have all the textures in place. :)

I also had to squish the backdrop pic a bit, so I can fit a few SS score reels up there. ;)

All comments and suggestions welcome. :twisted:

Ah almost forgot, better describe how I got that texture in place, just incase bob would like to know. ;)

First I found this pic of many tile textures, after much googling.

http://images.secondserver.net/10008872_1.jpg

Then I spyed that the part of the picture called floortiles-17.jpg would do nicely. So now I had to crop out that section, had to do that a couple of times to get the alignment just right.

Then I created a panorama image using my cropped tile, actually did this a few times to have a final image 8x16 tiles in size. The final image was to big for VP so I resized it to 512x1024 and applied the sharpening effect, sharpening always seems to work well with VP playfield graphics.

Apply image to table and done, see you don't really need any fancy graphics programs to achieve a good looking original, just irfanview, patients, tight VP modelling and a lot of googling for images. :tenisclap:

Thanks Steve, it's always interesting to see you other authors work.

SS scoring reels in place target graphics and bank cutouts done.

Hiya!

Spinner symbol found....

The "Kanji" symbol means "Beyond The Limits" or "Beyond Human Power"
(exceeding the physical and spiritual limitations of the body by training, meditation, concentration and focus)

StevOz said:
The "Kanji" symbol means "Beyond The Limits" or "Beyond Human Power"
(exceeding the physical and spiritual limitations of the body by training, meditation, concentration and focus)

Oh, not by alcohol then! :( Doh!

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back