Data East Solved Torpedo Alley (Data East, 1988) Problem

mojo423

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Funhouse
I recently bought an old beaten up Torpedo Alley Data East Pinball. I replaced all the boards except the sound board. I decided to take the machine apart and clean it because it was in bad shape. It took me about half a year to do this. I even repainted the cabinet.
Anyways, I put everything back together. The machine worked at first. It runs and plays about fifteen to twenty minutes and then starts spitting out random sounds. Then the entire play field shuts down and goes dark. The random sounds keep playing. I gave up and came back the next day. The game booted up fine again. Except this time it took a while to get the sound to kick in. After playing a while the sound comes in and plays about fifteen minutes and then I get the same shutdown and the machine goes dark. I turn it off and then back on. The light on the CPU +5v stays on. I still get the random game sounds. No playfield lights or movement.
The CPU, Power supply, and PPB board are all new from RottenDog. The sound board is the original.
I just turned it back on again after walking away about half an hour and it works again. I am sure it will shutdown again too.
Can anyone help me out here? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

Update:

I tried only connecting the CN17 connector, sound, and display on the CPU and this is what I got. I get the PIA light to turn on, off, and back on again with the +5V light both on. Sometimes I get random sounds from the game. From what I am reading online it is most likely the EPROMS at 5C or 5D need to be replaced. They have newer Revs out than I have so I should replace the EPROMS anyways. I ordered a test EPROM to be certain where the problem is before I do anything else.

I am still trying to get this to work. I narrowed it down to the EPROMS. There are two (B5 and C5). C5 looks like it might be over-heating. I found that the EPROMs had updates also. I have version 1.2 and 2.1 is the latest for this game. I bought the updated versions and I am waiting for them in the mail. Lets see if that will fix it.

Input/Output was bad. Had to get my older board fixed and waiting to get the newer one from Rottendog fixed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back