VPF- down again.

FACT: VPF is visited by more people.
FACT: VPF has more tables.
I say: VPF has a much larger amount of bandwidth consumed through table downloads.

How do the forums do any good when they go down in the middle of the month (Dramatisation)

The McD

A site is worth zero if it goes down for 5 days out of a month, this just needs to be fixed asap.

Side note: Can't find the article on the MaximumPC home page, but now I know that Rock Band 2 is going to have Pinball Wizard as a song inside.

The McD

A site is worth zero if it goes down for 5 days out of a month, this just needs to be fixed asap.

I agree
sure, AJ went and updated the forum software, but he left the job half finished
It has bothered me since the upgrade that what we had the first day was what we are going to be stuck with
I cannot see AJ adding anything to the basic forum software

and as everybody knows, it is a waste of time trying to contact him

The new download section is a piece of software he had added because it cost him $0
Who is going to donate if they don't have to?

Well, for what it's worth I sent AJ a message about VPF being down on his MySpace page...

I agree
sure, AJ went and updated the forum software, but he left the job half finished
It has bothered me since the upgrade that what we had the first day was what we are going to be stuck with
I cannot see AJ adding anything to the basic forum software

and as everybody knows, it is a waste of time trying to contact him

The new download section is a piece of software he had added because it cost him $0
Who is going to donate if they don't have to?
Yikes! It's worse than i anticipated, this is very bad information but a lot of free programs are excellent, they can't be discounted. I believe AJ will appear like a Phoenix or somethin'...
:smileyvike:

AJ likes to show up when, and only when, the house catches fire.

unfortunately this helps some people buy into the idea that he's a hero.

It's not burning yet, but it's already smoking.

The McD

I don't know why you guys would be whining about 5 days without VPF access. The limit was exceeded. It is not AJ's fault, and there is nothing he can do about this months band usage.

i freely admit to whining.

for one thing, like mcd and jon are saying- the loss of new users is not good. second and personally i don't have a regular site these days so i like to spend too much time slumming at VPF to entertain myself. i like debating, talking to people, hearing what they're concerns are, making jokes, challenging them from time-to-time...

the next forums i want to find is a science and nature forums but so far i haven't had much success. after that i want to try the mensa forums and see if being 'smart' makes for an interesting web experience.

Oh, it's just a bunch of idiots at the mensa forum. The stupidest thing a person can do is try to prove how smart they are.

So, from when was that magazine article?
I looked at Alexa and we had a huge pageview spike on the 1st of September.
Now it tells me to bug off with "not in top 100000".

The McD

Thats what you get for having so many users with signatures three times bigger than the average post,...

Why do I feel like I was ment, among others?

But seriously, text ain't that hard on the bandwidth, is it?

The McD

Oh, it's just a bunch of idiots at the mensa forum. The stupidest thing a person can do is try to prove how smart they are.
that's what i used to think, but i allow the possibility that generally intelligent people have a desire to talk with people on their own level, so to speak. and if nothing else, it would be a fun (for me) sociological exercise to observe them.

the fact is also that mensans are the 'stupidest' of the high-IQ society members, so bragging about being in mensa is a good way to get your chops busted from above and/or from below.

Hum, it just came back. I just posted, everything a-ok.

The McD

AJ over at VPF said:
Well, we were down for about half a day after exceeding the bandwidth limit that I had originally set on for vpforums on the server. I just got online and saw the problem. The issue has been resolved (increased the bandwidth). I have a limit set normally to make sure the server doesn't get spammed or attacked and if it does it won't go far after hitting the bandwidth limit. Normally not a problem, but this extra exposure has brought some more pinlovers here so it did push it over this month! No biggie. Welcome to all new gamers!

That's his response. So it was adjustable.

Abnormally fast response by AJ (see, he DOES care)

The McD

But seriously, text ain't that hard on the bandwidth, is it?
Sorry, i thought my sarcasm was obvious enough to be recognized as such.

Next time i will make sure to add a 'J/K',...you know, just in case,...:)

Sarcasm is much easier for me to detect in German.

The McD

FACT: VPF is visited by more people.
FACT: VPF has more tables. [fiction]
I say: VPF has a much larger amount of bandwidth consumed through table downloads. [fiction]

How do the forums do any good when they go down in the middle of the month (Dramatisation) [FACT]

The McD

quote edited by me to reflect the truth.

Ha... why'd ya dig out this thread now, Oz?

Yeah, now I realize the errors in there.

a) I forgot about IRPinball.
b) I forgot about the abundantly large popularity of JPSalas and PacDude tables.
c) BUT VPF was visited by more people. At least at the last time I checked. That was one day before my 16th birthday, the 27th of September. There Alexa wouldn't let me check the numbers for PN because it "isn't in the top 100".

I'm just checking at Alexa again for traffic ranks: PN: 1,314,361 VPF: 529,752. Seems like VPF still had a higher traffic. Not 100% sure how it exactly affects the bandwidth.

And guess what? It's the middle of the month!

The McD

Eh and here's me just checking the latest threads, not like I bumped it, just updating...;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back