VPF with another internal server error

PacDude

Pinball Wizard
Solutions
Reaction score
Well, I was just answering some messages, etc. at VPF when the whole thing went kablooie yet again first with an SQL error and then the dreaded "Internal Server Error." Watch half the Randy thread disappear or something....

I just hope I remember to reply to certain threads I had open and was reading because I tend to forget after they're already read. But really, this crap is getting OLD.

Boy is it ever getting old Dude. but the best part is that the error message tries to blame us for the screw up. Yeah, that's right, it points the finger at you and me pal. Just look below at the actual message, which I copied.

===

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

===

So how's it supposed to be my fault? Maybe I sneezed right before I clicked on the VPF link, but really, I didn't do it on purpose. Sorry. Not, I'm not making light at the problem, but I figure one rotten joke deserves another one.

tiltjlp

/kidding mode on

John you know you have a "Kill VPF" key on your keyboard. :p This didn't happen til you got back! It's all your fault!

/kidding mode off

It doesn't suprirse me it's dead.. really. Randy comes back and people are hearing about it.. and putting more stress on the server that [email protected] refuses to optimize. :)

Actually, it DID seem to happen right after I posted a reply to wpcmame about that on error resume next bit he complained about (after using it himself in the original VBS files in all the key-down subs and around 20% of the key-up subs ;) ). So I guess it must have been my fault for talking back. :twisted:

So Kinsey, are you inviting me to Hit The Road Jack, And Don't You Come Back No More NO More? Now that's an oldie but a goody. And you didn't have to indicate it was a joke, I'm not a thick skulled as my oversized body would lead you to believe.

Whatever the cause, I just hope shiva can get moved to a new server before AJ's bite the dust one last time. Maybe it's Randy's fault, since there were 8000 views of his thread in a bit less than a day and a half. Granted, there were only 280 or so replies, so it's more of the same old same old. Did you notice there were at least several 1st time posters?

John

It would be catastrophical if Randy didn't have a forum to post to. He's coding vp right now and all the beta testers are at VPF. You could advertise this site in the thread and tell all people to come here if VPF crashes again and is offline for a few days like recently. Just in case.

More members, more publicity to your forum John. ;)

Actually, he's been here if I am not mistaken. This site was the first one he put the update on. Maybe we could encourage him to post updates here instead of there. :)

Yeah, Randy did link his update to us, and I DL and added it as an upload to the Essentail Files. I would think that they have enough sense to have a back up plan in mind, but it won't hurt to mention it at VPF. And thanks to Kristian's suggestion, I just posted an offer to Randy for a Private Testing Grounds forum here.

John

Also There has been a lot of double posting going when I was trying post one the site locked up and same post got put 3 times.

If something isn't done soon, the Scotch Tape holding VPF together is going to break. I jus hope shiva can get his site moved before that happens. I'd hate to think of all those resources lost. just as interest in VP might actually be gettign a boost from Randy.

John

I noticed that Mitch. What bothers me the most is that there are so many folks who don't seem peeved about this, or continue to see only the good about VPF, although I can't figure out what good a site that goes offline so often is. I posted about Randy using this site, and got no response, even offered to set up a private forum if they need to discuss problems and solutions.

I'm not concerned about numbers that much, I'm more concerned that if folks consider VPF the Only Forum, and it isn't available for days or weeks, we could lose a major portion of our active members, and there aren't that many of us to begin with. When I asked AJ some serious questions after he had said to either ask them or shut up, I got blasted. I simply wasted my time, since AJ never did answer any of my questions, no that I expected him to.

I keep hearing things are getting better, and maybe they are. But if VPF and shivaSite get knocked off line once a week, that's still one time too much. I don't know what the solution is, but getting rid of AJ would be a step in the right direction. I sure hope that talked about switch in management happens soon

John :oldman

Heh, I get more work done when VPF is down. You just wouldn't believe how much time of mine it sucks up just reading and responding to the various pinball message boards (mostly VPF). I hate to say it, but 95% of it is total and utter FLUFF. Back-patting, table requests, feature requests, the same-old same-old questions asked over and over because people can't be bothered to use the search feature and loads and loads of off-topic banter with so-called "generic" thread topics that try to suck you into threads about nothing. Some days I think it's that fluff that is going to eventually drive me away from the scene, much more so than the time it takes me to make tables. I got up a little early this past morning and planned to do a few quick fixes/updates and I ended up spending that time on VPF because it took SO long (in this case 30+ minutes or so) to just catch up with the messages posted just between then and the night before. And yet most of it wasn't really worth reading. But what I've noticed is that since Randy "returned" and the new VPM was released, we now get tons and tons of "add this" and "I can't get this rom set to work" type rants there again and sorting through it all requires at least a half dozen garbage men....

Frankly, I'm more concerned about this Randy business. It's too freaking weird that we "know" he's back and yet he STILL doesn't reply to ANY personal questions, where he's been, where VP is going type questions or even as you say questions about where he might be able to post when VPF goes down. Call me crazy, but I still think there's something funny going on. Other than that one post from Black, he's gone silent again just as Randy reappeared. Can you say Schizoprhrenia? :twisted: Hey wait a second, AJ is always disappearing in-between those times.... AJ owns the official VP forums for Randy's product..... Ok, maybe I just miss seeing new episodes of the X-Files. :D

Really, though there is too much fluff lately, IMO. I'm going to have to hire someone to wade through that crap for me and just send me the relevant messages that apply to me. I'm too nice a guy and spend too much time answering newbie questions, etc. I know that gives some of these new guys a thrill (like meeting Michael Jordan or something), but really I do have other things to do. :D :D :D

Actually, I'm just half joking. Seriously, SOME (I stress some) of these guys talk about me in these threads like they never expect to see me answer the common folk so a lot of them ask other people about my tables instead of just asking me and then act all shocked when I reply about a question about my table. It's freaking WEIRD. I'm not some kind of celebrity or something, but when I see threads like that it kind of freaks me out. Yeah, I know Randy doesn't answer questions, but when have I EVER acted like that? Maybe they're just Catholics and are used to thinking they have to talk to the lower hiearchy instead of going straight to the source? Ok, I'm amusing myself way too much now.... :D

Yeah, I start writing books when VPF is down.... I just have too much time on my hands when it's down. Wasn't there something I was suppposed to be doing with this time? Hmmm.... Ah well, it's now bed time. I've got to work again this Saturday. Bummer. No Sabbath for the PacDude this week.... :cry:

You are too much SmurfDude. But I agree that there is more junk than usual. I've gotten where I ignore most of the threads, since I get tired of those dumb questions, and the Outlanes is pretty much just garbage too. Maybe you and I should team up and make a flipperless table with looping ramps, just to irritate the masses. I noticed that hero thing with you, and I'm glad you aren't letting it go to your head, you're just bearly tolerable the way it is. :p We should be honored that you grace us with your presence, oh Mr VPM. I wonder if I was as stupid whan I was a newbie? And no, you don't have to answer that, folks.

VPF isn't the official VP forums PacDude, shivaSite still is. AJ couldn't steal that from me, and Randy has never changed it either. As to VPF, well, people made their choice. They still make their choice, even after 8 weeks of nothing but server crashes, a complete and total lack of communication, and complete inactivity with virtually no major attempt to fix the problems. It's the same old thing, AJ is more than happy to take the money, but when it comes down to doing something, he's also very happy to let someone else take the heat, or the blame, while he doesn't do anything, or even allow the people in place there to do anything either.
I told you so. Nothing has changed. 3 years of this, and I thought people would have caught on to this by now. AJ has this community by the throat, he can do what ever the hell he wants to, and it's pretty ovious that he's not going anywhere. He ignored the offer made to take over (sorry, I believe the term is buy now) by someone else, because it's been over a month since that offer was made, and still no answer.
You allowed him to do this, you all supported him, and you continue to support him. AJ has destroyed my name and reputation, and considering all the problems that I have had that can be directly pointed to him, and the situation I forced in at the moment, guess what? Your stuck with it. The server won't just continue to do this, it will more than likely completely collaspse, and both sites will be gone. At least I am trying to do something, but for the 5th time in a row, when I asked for donations, VPF did the same soon afterwards, so I am still exactly where I am, and so is the community.
This is the way it is, and there isn't much you can do while people continue to choose to support VPF with their support and their money. This site is just as good, so's VPO, though both site's internal backbone isn't good enough to handle the resource loads, people still don't come here. Why people tolerate all of this without even speaking up is beyond me. Why they continue to support a site like that is just out and out folly.

Well it's down again. Actually, it's been down for the last 12 hours for me.

Is AJ aware of this, or does he even care?

It is down for the whole day already,...
And shiva is going down with it each time.
If i was you,shiva,i'd take my hat and leave finally.
It cant be that hard to become independent from VPFs server,IMO,...

And as for something PacDude said:
I think either "Randy" is not really "Randy",or he is a quite arrogant *#+*&.
What is wrong with answering the communitys biggest concern about what his future plans are with VP,and if he might vanish again for another 2 years or who knows how long after he's done with these "updates",and if he wants to keep the source for himself for all times so that noone has the chance to advance this program with a giant dedicated community behind it,which would see things improve and being kept up-to-date?
A lot of folks would gladly do the maintaining job,(e.g. BubleHead),so why not considering to give the source to someone "more dedicated",in case he has more important things to do?
He could at least consider to team up with someone who has the time and neccessairy dedication,IMO.
I guess that is the stuff which all of us really like to know,but it wasnt even worth a damn single word to him,...

Sorry,but this is VERY arrogant behaviour in my opinion,because he knows that those questions are not being asked out of the blue without any reason,...

Now if you want rip me apart for my opinion,...go ahead,...but i will keep it anyway,...
I guess it is really not asked too much to answer those few essential questions the whole community likes to know,...
I certainly didnt want an interview,and i certainly didnt want to know about any personal stuff,...
But nevertheless he didnt say a single word anyway,and that,to me,is like saying: "What do i care for the boring concerns of you types ?,...Take what you get and STFU!",...

Part of the financial end guys. I based all this about moving on the donations I get, and to be blunt, I think a lot of people spend more on coffee in a month than what I get. If I go right now, I wouldnt be able to support the site after a while with the donations sent, so I'm trying to get enough for a full year, because it's a lot cheaper. You also have to pay for moving expenses as well on top of that. Soon as it happens, I'm gone, until then, it's just gonna keep happening.
VPF "sucks" a lot of donations away, so it's a bit of a struggle, that's the reason I get so fustrated with the entire situation, especially considering the amount of donations there, and what you can actually get in terms of a server. I don't know why no one else seems to care, I get so angry at this, it's like walking around in the middle of a bunch of sheep. All I know is after a brief look around, I could have had a brand new server, with double the stats, including bandwidth (no more limits to downloads in other words) and all set up in about a week, on a didicated server, and not the calculator that VPF seems to be on.

Maybe we all should give a few of our "christmas-bucks" to someone who brings us pleasure and great resources for all over the year,...
That struggling for the sheer existance must be terrible,and it is a shame,when you consider the amount of members in the whole VP/VPM scene,...
I dont know if you'd like this;but i'd like to open a thread to collect money to finance the move and the running-costs for at least one year for "shivas-pinball-sphere",or something like that,yet this year,...
(I like PDs suggestion of a more recognisable term to describe the site,...)

If anyone would give a 10,you'd be settled for a long time,...
I would be the first to give a 10,but i'd have to know how to get it to you,so that you get the full amount.
No PayPal or such,...
(A letter would probably be the only method,but this is very unsafe,most of all short before xmas,...)

P.S.,...
HI BOB,...;)

shiva, if you are still "paying" AJ for hosting, the first thing I'd do is quit doing it. Many service providers have an uptime guarantee, and he's surely not meeting it.

Well, I made my monthly $10 donation on the 3rd to shivaSite, and will every month, just like I had promised. What I had to laugh at was that AJ actually bragged that the server hadn't been down for two whole weeks, but that isn't even true, since it was down for a few hours the end of last week. Phantom, Pay Pal is the best way to make a donation to shivaSite, since someone else actually takes care of the money, and Pay Pal only takes about 40 cents.

But more than simply donate, I have decided that I will boycott VPF until AJ is no longer involved with the site. To keep going there day after day as if nothing is wrong is hypocritical, and if enough folks will join me in my boycott, maybe AJ will get the message. Besides, I won't miss much, since most of the posts at VPF are Outlanes or Newbie questions, or some other nonsense.

Also, about two years ago I got pissed at AJ for something he had posted about me, and asked for a refund of my donation, which he gave me. So if anyone else is disgusted with AJ's BS, why not ask for your donation back. If enough of you do, even if you don't get it back, at least it will send a message to AJ. And if you do get your donation back, do what I did with mine, and donate it to shivaSite where it will do some good.

And for anyone who is fairly new to VPF, I was the shivaSite caretaker of a year and a half, and during that time, I donated $10 a month. When I came back online 3 months ago, one of the first things I did was donate $25 to shivaSite, so at least I've put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. The only way to knock some sense into AJ is to hit him in his wallet. I doubt if any of the other sites he runs will start footing the bill, so just maybe we can force the SOB out. Anyone with me? And would someone mention that I'm boycotting VPF and AJ, just maybe a few others will join the cause.

I like VPF

AJ doesn't matter to me one way or another

Both Randy and Black are arrogant %%^#$%@

There is NO official "VP"site, don't believe me...? Ask Randy :) Oh, you better ask him at VPF, since that's the only place he's posted in the last THREE YEARS!

I'm still going to post at ALL VP sites, I don't give a shit if people like me or not :)

I'm not donating $ just keep a site going... If VP times get rough and we "really" need to band together to have a place to go, I am prepared to help big-time, but until then... I happy with the way things are. VP-Originals is really cool and free. VPOH is also really cool and free. Flipperless.com is also really cool and free. VPF is OK and is free for me, because I'm not donating to a VPM hosting site that doesn't support EM's or Originals.

And shivaSite has been Free for 8 years bob. And the reason it's been free is because that's the way I wanted it, and I refused to allow banner ads, or sell my content like AJ wanted. I refuse to even give other people access to it for that reason, to prevent people turning around and trying to sell it. Of course, thanks to IPDB, they couldn't now anyway. A large part of my problems now was because I refused to charge anyone anything, and does anyone here think that I like having to ask for donations? I hate it, but I was forced into a corner, in to a situation that was fostered on to me by other people, and the days of Free servers are over. Even VPO may not be free forever, the expenses will add up, just like VPFF.
No one is twisting your arm to donate anything, but then that also means you have no right to complain if a site (or two) is lost because of that lack of support.

Hey Bob, I think you're one of the neatest folks around, and it's your right not to donate, just as it's my right to donate, boycott a site, and try to convine other folks to support shivaSite. That's the great thing about VP, there are enough sites that I can do what I think is right and boycott AJ. If VPF was the only VP site, I'd be in a tough spot. We all should do what we feel is right, and anyone who gets upset about it needs to chill out.

John

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back