GPU XFX RX 580 8gb

RLR

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
MEDIEVAL MADNESS
Hello guys,
I have a problem with this GPU (XFX RX 580 (2048sp) 8g). I start a table in BAM, runs perfectly, after 15-30 minutes the table crash. I have tried two different computer with fresh install (windows) all of the visual c++, direct x, windows updates ... always the same problem.
With other two GPU's i don't have any problem (1-rtx 2080 super and 1-R9 280(this one does not display animations correctly (too old)))
I'm testing the GPU (XFX RX 580) on my daily computer and it has no problems and i played all kinds of games.
do you guys now this GPU and this problem?
It is not a big problem for me, i have other GPU's but if theres a fix for this it would be great because the GPU performes great.
Don't want to trouble you guys but maybe you guys know this, if not, it is ok, no need to waste time on a old GPU.
Best regards

Attachments

• BAM_CRASH.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 2
I know nothing about AMD GPUs. I have read they are problematic for FP.

thank you very much for your reply GeorgeH.
I guess it is better to forget AMD for this, has i initially thought.

The usual suspects are drivers and overheating.
But yeah, AMD tends to perform worse (best case scenario) than Nvidia. Even when game are optimized for AMD and they do perform better, rare is the case in which the difference is actually big enough to be noticeable.

The usual suspects are drivers and overheating.
But yeah, AMD tends to perform worse (best case scenario) than Nvidia. Even when game are optimized for AMD and they do perform better, rare is the case in which the difference is actually big enough to be noticeable.
i thought Nvidia was the recommended card for this.
i pretty sure i saw it in the "getting started" install support guide at VPF when i first started in VP in 09.
i started with an inexpensive GT220 in 09....$89plus tax...it worked ok for an entry level....no visual problems.
right now i have a GTX560.
i need to upgrade.
it struggles with VPX but no graphics problems.
one of the classic visual problems with other brands at that time in 09 was ball on top of flipper.
maybe the other brands have fixed the graphics problems from way back.
is anybody using something other than Nvidia with no visual problems or performance problems?

Last edited:
@RLR
I was just reminded of windows installing drivers by itself on windows updates ruining AMD (and others) drivers by using M$ generic crap.
I don't remember how you stop windows from updating drivers (google it, there's plenty info out there) but I know you can reinstall the old drivers from "device manager" window.

Thank you very much AnonTet for your replies, i have disable windows from updating by disabling the device in device manager.
I have been trying all kids of drivers but not directly from the device manager, i will give it a go.
Thank you very much once again.

Best regards

You can't disable the updates by disabling the device in device manager. It's an option in "windows settings" somewhere. I'm not sure what you did.

From properties in device manager you can just change back to the AMD drivers (that are installed as well) assuming the generic windows driver is selected.

Not sure what you mean by all kinds of drivers either. Always go with the latest driver (is it still called Adrenalin?) from AMD. then try the previous one and and old one if it exists for that GPU.

Have some monitoring program that shows you the temperature of the GPU. Since it seems "time based" I'm actually inclined to say the problem is GPU overheating.

By disabling the devices you can then restart the pc without windows trying to install the drivers, it is in Portuguese but i think you can understand.
By "all kinds of drivers" i mean all versions for windows 10 64bits, i even tried to install for windows 7 64bits but it wouldn't install correctly so when you suggested me to install from device manager that was my focus, i will try install older drivers from windows 7 from device manager.
i have been trying lots of options (GPU bios, undervolting, raising power limits, overclocking, windows power plan, disabling audio drivers, bam options, different pc's, new windows install ...) so what is left is to try really old drivers, i'm trying to find the original driver for this card, and try to install it from device manager since it will not work in this windows version.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 3
There is another post in this forum that i came across after starting this one that refers this problem, i think it is GPU incompatibility

Forgot about that one.
You still doing it wrong though.
You can't disable the GPU unless you start using the iGPU from you CPU and you still have to change the HDMI cable to the appropriate port. This unless windows reactivates it somehow on the next boot because there's not other choice in which case it's not guaranteed that it won't pickup MS drivers. I never even though of disabling a GPU in device manager!

simple google search:

I'd suggest you run rivatuner to check RAM, vRAM, CPU and GPU usage. I mean, you seem to have everything working for a while, no artifacts or missing textures and the tables launch. Can't be incompatibility only after 30m!

i have no iGPU, if you disable (disabling de device, in this case (without iGPU) will not do anything other then unable windows to install driver automatically ) you can restart windows without it trying to install other drivers (it worked for me).

How to stop Windows 10 from updating my GPU driver automatically?

thank you for that, i think this is the problem, i will try to install older drivers and change the 2D clock to match the 3D (maybe i will be able to do it in the bios of the GPU).

thank you very much, there is some hope left for this GPU

Thank you guys for your help, it is solved, it was a bios problem.
Almost bricked the card but in the end it was worthed, still in stress test but haven't got any tables crashing.

Thank you very much.
Best regards.

Spoke too soon, as soon as i connected the second monitor it started to crash the tables.

I have the same issue with MAME. If I set it up to 2 screens and 1 is not connected, MAME will crash.
If I have both connected and open MAME but don't focus on MAME quickly, it'll crash.

I'm using an nVidia obviously (see .sig)

Never had any of this with FP or VPX though.

So, just in case, make sure the 1st screen is the main/default in the windows settings and specifically for 2 screens, read Terryred's excellent tutorial.

BTW, it can be an incompatibility problem too which wouldn't be a surprise. But just in case, I think it is worth it to explore it as much as possible, as it *might* be corrected somehow before ditching the card.

If it is new, just go and return it. You can't have a thing that doesn't work, right?

If you are happy with your drivers, don't update them...
And disable all the automatic updates.

For now what i can say is that the tables only crash if i'm in "Arcade mode" (bam editor - video options), gpu bios made tables last longer but still crash; It doesn't matter what driver version is installed; I also locked the clocks (core and vram) to run at a specific frequency all the time with no avail.
Could it be openGL version related, could this card lack a specific function, in any case i will try gader more knowledge.
The best option is to save this GPU for other projects (arcade machine) and buy a cheap GTX or RTX for my virtual pinball machine.

That "arcade mode" mode and the "backbox" options are to be enabled and disabled together.

Which is why I told you to use Terry's guide. Just search around here for "Future pinball and BAM Mega Guide" by TerryRed

If i use other GPU it works fine, i had it working for a long time without any issues, i just wanted to upgrade, i was using a R9 280 (i did follow terry's guide for this project).
The problem is the GPU but it is ok, i just have to find a GTX or RTX at a good price.
I have a second computer with bam installed that i can use to test this so i will try to gadder more information.
If i find anything that is relevant to this i will post it, maybe you guys with that knowledge can find a fix for it.

to sum it all up:
i have a 2 screens setup (virtual pinball machine project) that i have been using for a long time without any issues (always follow you guys to set it up correctly)

system
Motherboard - asus B550 prime
CPU - ryzen 1600x
Ram - 16g
GPU - R9 280
Power supply - corsair v450

i was trying to upgrade the GPU because the "R9 280" in some tables was a bit lagy.
i then got this RX 580 (2048sp), i installed it and it was fine, everything worked correctly except after 30 minutes (more or less, depending on the table) it crashed, table frised for some seconds and then crash as bam did too.
has it turns out, the tables only crash if i'm playing with playfield and backglass in "arcade mode", if i disable 1 monitor it will never crash.

this is what i should have done at first, very sorry about that, i think i was i bit confusing for you guys to understand the situation.

thank you very much for the support

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      xenonph @ xenonph: @oilpainter27 find here...
      Back