Help Solved Second screen for backbox issues (SOLVED)

HZR

Pinball Hall of Famer
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
elm street
I have a older galaxy 7 tab and the resolution will only goto 1300 x something.

I can use a tablet at 1920x1080 rez and the backbox is fine on my tables.
when I use the tab 7 the screen is off scale, I tried the scroll adjustment, but I dont want to do this for every table,
I tried popper, and I can get the FULLDMD from pup working fine, but I cant get the backbox proper ,
I tried a few resolutions for the second screen and they all show scaled.like a quarter of the backbox.
I tried arcade mode, etc and my monitor layout is fine because my laptopo at 1920x1080 works fine.

I tried setting the main playfield resolution to 1280x720 and the tab7 to 1280x720 and same thing. my scaling and dpi are correct also.
Is this normal.
Tried a fresh install of windows on a mini pc and it does the same thing.
do I just need to get a tablet that does 1920x1080 resolution?

Solution
GRRRRRRR.. Swapped Terrys Bam settings from desktop to cabinet and that fixed it, I think
Reality.dat and config
There is a backbox setting in the basic menu (GDSOB), all this wasted time because I was an idiot
Once I changed the reality and config to Cabinet mode it defaulted bams menu to basoc and cabinet where I saw the option
to stretch the backbox etc. I really feel dumb.. (ill go stand in the corner) lol
Anyways thanks to all.. (beating my head against the wall) That is one setting I wont forget!
OI never saw it before
Using tablets for a 2nd screen tends to not be reliable for this kind of thing all around.

FP uses "fullscreen" resolutions (not borderless windowed) for the backbox, so if you can't select the correct resolution from FP, than that tells you whatever method the tablet is using to connect to Windows and setup its resolutions isnt working correctly.

I actually have no problems with my very old tablet and it is 16:10.

I use spacedesk to use it as a 2nd screen and it works via wireless or USB.
With spacedesk I can set a custom resolution to make it 16:9 for example and avoid issues with PUP stuff, for example. It works at 60Hz which is more than enough for emulation.

@HZR search for spacedesk post by me. I explain how to get it working. It's cheaper than buying a new one :D

I tried space desk, also superdisplay, which I bought.
works with my laptop at 1920x1080
npt with my tablet, samsung galaxy tab 7

Mine is a galaxy tab 4 I think.. it's OLD. And for USB I even have to install a tethered app to enable it!

With spacedesk on android, press the 3 bars icon before connecting. Go to "resolution", check "Use custom resolution" and make it 1280x720 and then connect to spacedesk server.

Go to windows display settings and make sure monitor id #2 is either BELOW or to the RIGHT of monitor id #1.

Did that, and set the backbox in FP to 1280x720.. i did that, doesnt work, I mean it orks bt the back box is way to big.
The pup full dmds work if the tables have them. I send snapshots

I don't understand on the "too big". Do you mean the image is stretched on tables without PUP backglass? Unless you have a 4:3 resolution, I would suppose it might?
I don't see a problem like image being distorted on wider resolution as opposed to 4:3 but then again, not ever using a 4:3 resolution, I can't really compare so maybe I'm just used to 16:9...

Don't assume you have all monitors set to 100 for Text Scaling in Windows Display settings. You have to set each monitor manually.

If this is not done, then pup-packs wont display correctly on a 2nd / 3rd monitor, nor will FP's Backbox

also tripple checked that.

I don't understand on the "too big". Do you mean the image is stretched on tables without PUP backglass? Unless you have a 4:3 resolution, I would suppose it might?
I don't see a problem like image being distorted on wider resolution as opposed to 4:3 but then again, not ever using a 4:3 resolution, I can't really compare so maybe I'm just used to 16:9...

Attachments

• 20230901_095926.jpg
    20230901_095926.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Weird. It's like windows' seeing fullhd resolution or something. If resolution is properly set I have no idea what's causing it.

Never seen that issue.

yep, this is strang, if i dont run bam its tiny... its centered but tiny.
space desk 1280x720..
I think it may be pup and my registry, yet it does it on my other pc also.
im going to reformat and fresh inastall popper and bam and fp and see what happens

Not sure why pup would detect different resolution but maybe you can run the display config again and reconfigure everything.
In any case, i'm not sure I can be of help with that. I just followed Terry instructions. I do remember something about having to press center ... horizontal center?... in the display config

PUP is just an app using a windowed display of VLC, etc. It won't affect anything else or change your desktop resolutions, etc. It just uses x / y size and position and sticks to that no matter what.

FP uses a fullscreen window that can affect the desktop layout if its not using the native resolution of the display (which is what Windows display settings should be using).

Try changing the FP Backbox to windowed and run a resolution as close to what you want but not larger. If that works and doesn't change anything, then it comes down to how your tablet is reporting resolutions to Windows.

This is why using a proper dedicated monitor connected to your video card is recommended, so you won't deal with this kind of thing, or at least have options to make it work correctly. FP doesn't always play nice with the FP Backbox being displayed on something not connected to your main video card.

GRRRRRRR.. Swapped Terrys Bam settings from desktop to cabinet and that fixed it, I think
Reality.dat and config
There is a backbox setting in the basic menu (GDSOB), all this wasted time because I was an idiot
Once I changed the reality and config to Cabinet mode it defaulted bams menu to basoc and cabinet where I saw the option
to stretch the backbox etc. I really feel dumb.. (ill go stand in the corner) lol
Anyways thanks to all.. (beating my head against the wall) That is one setting I wont forget!
OI never saw it before

Solution
@HZR

On the plus side you have been credited with the solution. 👍

I didnt even remember there was a basic menu in bam, and I spent quite few tmes trying to get this to work

I didnt even remember there was a basic menu in bam, and I spent quite few tmes trying to get this to work

There is backbox settings in the advanced menu as well. You just need to be in "Arcade mode" (FP settings), or "Forced Arcade Mode" (BAM menu settings) to be able to access it.

I highly recommend not using the Basic Menu (it doesn't give you access to all features). Use my BAM Setting files (for cabinet) as you noted should give you access to the backbox menu.

When I used the cab settings from your aio
It defaulted to the basic menu.. for me anyways.
I restored my original bam swapped the menu to basic, set the back box saved bam then reloaded when back to advanced bam menu mode and checked all my defaults the was I want them and resaved.
I want the cabinet mode settings you have but I. Want the playfield to remain in desktop mode with the option to switch to arcade.mode.
I want the dmd on desktop and on the back box. I always have used the advanced menu, I would have thought all the basic menu options would be available in the advanced menu regardless of being in arcade mode or not.
It worked with the older default bam install right away so I knew it was either bam or possibly the windows settings from pup.
But hopefully this helps someone else.
I had read to go to arcad mode and use the scroll keys and number keys to adjust the backbox etc which did nothing.
I also set my registry file to 128px720 for the backbox and it had no effect.
And it was a simple bam setting... lol
I laterally probably spent 50 hours over the last year trying to get this working. Grrrrrr... lol

All is working now. Thank all of you for all you do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back