Shhh, don't disturb the quiet

Hey, do you people ever play visual pinball/pinmame tables?

You need to play more!

I realized that as more as you care about vp/vpm the less you play the tables. If you don't play
you become some freaky.

Get back the fun in playing!

How? I don't know. Maybe by considering to play tournaments and duels at VPOH.
Here is the link: http://www.visualpinball.be/

You need some alternation and I can't see most of you active there.

Yogi, I don't agree. Whenever I have holiday from work (and my girlfriend) I have even 2-3 days VP sessions with a friend. We play religiously all VPM tables... and take a few beers... it's fantastic...

Of course it requires another pinball fanatic... We had tons of fun with Austin Powers, Judge Dredd, Scared Stiff and Vector just a week ago... I'm still a games freak... I play all my free time... MAME and VP, it's pure fun... I feel like a 16-year old always when I do that...

To get back on topic as you know I never stray from the thread title :)

I think John basically hit the nail on the head… What do I think? I think many of the old outspoken members visit the forums only to socialize and keep tract of the controversies and the ones that bitch about it the most are the ones who enjoy the chaos the most. If you take away the controversy, then you take away the thrill of visiting VPF for many of them because they have long since quit being interested in the actual VP software.

I think the current VPF is becoming shivasitelike and that spells trouble. I never thought there was any “fun†in visiting Shivasite, I mean the whole time I’ve been a Vp’er, Shivasite sucked as far as the “fun†factor was concerned. I know a few people said they loved the place, but to me, it was always dead and a chore to actually login. This is meaningless if you didn’t want the public to actually support Shivasite, but since he wanted donations to pay for the site, he needed to find a way to make people want to donate and he never really accomplished that, IMO.

VPF operates on donations, now we don’t really know the true facts about donations, because AJ doesn’t really share them with the members or staff. IMO, if the donations didn’t cover the cost of the site, then he would close it or give it away as he really doesn’t seem to still have a personal interest in VP anymore. I would really like to see the monthly donation totals from VPF as that is the most important factor on how the place should be moderated.

Once again, I really enjoyed VPF this last year as it was operating with very little moderation, enough to even offer my help in editing some of the extreme stuff, but it changed drastically for me as we started to have people come out of the woodwork to intentionally fuck the place up. I don’t really know what the hell was going on, but I did know I wasn’t prepared to deal with it. I jumped on Pacdude 4 or 5 times as I was afraid the lynch mob was going to win if a war broke out. I hope I had a little influence on PD as he really has been the class act lately (thanks PD) and the angry mob had to shut up as they were looking more like the evil forum wreckers than the accused. LOL

Bottom line… VPF needs to find a happy medium where we can all endure and occasionally speak our mind without being over moderated. This will not be an easy task as I experienced first hand how difficult it is to moderate a tough discussion and I wasn’t up to the task and I threw in the towel. :)

Long live VP6.1 :) and fuck Mr Foley and his updates :)

But bob, long live VP6.1?

I though you were all for FP 1.0?

What about VP7.1?

Over moderated, bullshit, what's wrong with you kids, can you not have a little text between each other and just address that text and not the peep that posted it, Is it that friggin' difficult?

@destruk,
"And with definitive table versions available, there isn't any point to redoing anything."

i've never seen a definitive table version, ever. there's so many demanding areas to perfect- the physics, the lux and saturation, the overall build, making a 'collectors edition' versus a 'gameplayers edition', etc, etc.

every single table fails somewhere and could be improved IMO.

@bob,
very nicely said and 99 & 3/4% agreed.

No, it wasn't. This is from Nicolas on here in the What to do about the troublemakers thread.

Here's the quote:

if you don't mind me interjecting here-

PD- whether or not you are an arrogant prick in RL is mostly irrelevant. you are an arrogant prick online IME. online you are self-centered, generally don't treat people very nicely and never have from my experience. you violate the 'rules' of netiquette again and again from the ~4 years i've seen you operate.

Netiquette. LOL. Yeah, I'm not PC. Sorry.

Here I thought helping people with their VP problems, adding features they like and even building tables on request if they provide photos was pretty nice of me. I guess I was being a prick all that time. The only people I'm not nice to are the ones insulting me, arguing on and on with me or acting incredibly annoying with constant begging, etc.

Oh well. You can't please everyone.

Ok nicolas... how could I improve the gameplay/graphics in Black Knight?

@kristian,
if you are seriously asking, i'll check that one out again and get back to you.

@PD,
you cut off the rest of the post.

anyway, what are you moping about? i thought you enjoyed the idea of being an arrogant prick online (i could have sworn you said something like that recently). so how would you prefer me to think of you then?

Now this is exactly what vpf needs, some lively back and forth discussions. Why it works here and not there is a mystery. Maybe there are a few folks at vpf who don't come here, who are causing the tension, I really don't know. Can we really blame everything on newbies and their endlessly repeated questions? Hell yes, if it will make Destruk happy, maybe it's time to draw and quarter the next newbie who ask a nonsense question instead of searching for the answer.

Maybe the reason vpf seems a bit dull to me is that I have the "trouble makers" on Ignore. Too bad we can't put the staff on Ignore instead. :p :twisted:

John

The biggest problem are the outsiders... people are completely silent 99% of the time but they always come out of nowhere when they see a flame war/heated debate... and feel like they need to lecture other people about their behaviour...

You know... same people who like to hang around when there's a huge car accident... maybe there's a chance to see some dead bodies somewhere and then act SO shocked and terrified...

"Please refrain from using offensive language"
"Why can't we all just get along?"
"Moderators should do something about this"

etc... blah blah... I hate these whiners. If it's not your war keep your cakehole shut... These people are biggest Internet abusers... whiners... I'd take their virtual driving license away...

This site seems pretty quiet. :)

kristian said:
The biggest problem are the outsiders... people are completely silent 99% of the time but they always come out of nowhere when they see a flame war/heated debate... and feel like they need to lecture other people about their behaviour...

You know... same people who like to hang around when there's a huge car accident... maybe there's a chance to see some dead bodies somewhere and then act SO shocked and terrified...

"Please refrain from using offensive language"
"Why can't we all just get along?"
"Moderators should do something about this"

etc... blah blah... I hate these whiners. If it's not your war keep your cakehole shut... These people are biggest Internet abusers... whiners... I'd take their virtual driving license away...

I completely agree with you Kristian. I don't see any problem in taking part in certain Wars, as you call them, but whining sure doesn't add anything to the atmosphere at vpf, or anywhere, for that matter. Flame wars probably aren't a very good idea, but a good debate or discussion that get folks trading ideas and mild insults give a place character.

And Destruk, I have to agree with you, this place is a bit too quiet for my liking. But things might get interesting before long, as one of our old buddies sent me PM at vpf, and I told him, politely of course, to get his butt over here where he belongs.

Mack1 is back, and sober, thanks to us all jumping on his case over at VPFF. So just maybe VPFF did have some socially redeeming qualities. So if Mack1, who I had dead and buried, can return to the scene, let's not give up hope that Rodgz might bounce back one of these days. Now if only Lonny Lizzie would come home.

John

Yeah I saw Mack1 in the online list and I've a truth to tell yea.....Mack1 was sober way before VPFF closed and I know that VPFF was never the reason. Still best not spoil the illusion to much......;)

Mack1? The real Mack1? Remember his brother-in-law or brother or someone posted under his name a couple of times. I always liked the Mackster :) another crazy internet personality, but with a genuine character behind the avatar. I seem to like the exceptions to the norm more than the norm. Is this normal?

bob said:
Mack1? The real Mack1? Remember his brother-in-law or brother or someone posted under his name a couple of times. I always liked the Mackster :) another crazy internet personality, but with a genuine character behind the avatar. I seem to like the exceptions to the norm more than the norm. Is this normal?

Yeah, the real Mack1, old beloved Otis. Now Norm was OK, but I liked Cliff and all his trivia BS better. And as for the reason for him being sober, I only repeated what he had told me. Since I was gone when VPFF bit the dust, I really wouldn't know all the details. And Mack1, I'll give you access to the private section.

John

Howdy Guys! Not sure I'm doing this right. It's been so long. Let's see, OK, yes, um-hmmmm... Test, Testing 1 2 3... Well, for what it's worth, I'm gonna' try and stick around using a bit more sense. I've been lurking here and there for a couple days now. I see that VPFF is gone. I'm very glad to see so many familiar faces. John sent me here to start anew. Hope I can measure up. I just want to resume table work with some old ideas...

mack1 said:
Howdy Guys! Not sure I'm doing this right. It's been so long. Let's see, OK, yes, um-hmmmm... Test, Testing 1 2 3... Well, for what it's worth, I'm gonna' try and stick around using a bit more sense. I've been lurking here and there for a couple days now. I see that VPFF is gone. I'm very glad to see so many familiar faces. John sent me here to start anew. Hope I can measure up. I just want to resume table work with some old ideas...

Welcome back Mack. I would hope you'd want to do a bit better than measure up to us. I do hope you'll use Otis as your avatar, simply because I'm a fan of the show, as always liked Otis, but Rocketman is cool too. When you have those tables you mentioned ready for me, send them to zifbob@current.net. Now I hope you don't plan on acting too mature, you'll make the rest of us look mighty bad.

John

Naaah! No way, John! I just need to climb back up in the saddle... There, now I'm alright. Say, what's an avatar? And how come you guys have little pictures in your boxes...

Nice to hear from you Mack! The last I remember you were into the Flea Market business. How have you been and if I may ask, you were taking care of your mother after she had a stroke ? Are you still doing this? Again, it's good to hear from you and to know that you weren't hit by a car or something, I kind of remember that you were losing internet access.

Welcome back!

Hiya Bob! Man you've got a memory! That's more than I remember! All is well! The mother is well, the access is well and the attitude is well. I be well... Good to see ya! It's been two and a half years since I showed my face here. A lot's changed, but a lot is the same! Glad to see you're still swinging around, though! Kinda' thought I'd try and hang here if there's no heartburn about it. I want to make some tables I started on years ago...

Gidday mack1, if you need a hand making them tables, I'll be more then happy to lend you all 8 fingers and both thumbs. :)
I can script stuff and I hope you may take up my offer, either way great to read from you again.

Hi Mack. I was just thinking about you as I passed by the directory that has your book in it. Sad to say I haven't gotten around to reading much of it, though. But I'm glad to see you're back.

Well Howdy Stev & Pac! Great to see both of you! It's been a long time. Thanks for the offer Stev, I just may need that hand. Mine's a bit rusty at this. Pac, thanks for the interest, but I'd like to know where that copy (of my stuff) is posted. I'd like to take it down. It was never meant to be read until after my death. I just uploaded it one night in a drunken stupor. It's unfinished and personal. Too personal. I figured if VPFF was gone, then so was the book...

if you read this thread all the way through, you can see that what needs to be done at VPF, can be done.

everyone is discussing things calmly and rationally,
whether they agree or not doesn't affect the actual discussion.

even the asshole/prick comments were handled well.

no post in this thread would or should be edited/deleted.

but at VPF, you would have already had 2 dozen other pot stirrers,
just like when i was in school, the kids circle around ya, and goad you into a fight.
they push you into the other guy, they say, "are you gonna let him say that about your mom ?"
pretty soon it is full on donnybrook.

the cowboy thing at VPF, wasn't so much the content of his post,
it was that he chose once again to do what nic was saying had to stop, in the same thread nic said it in.
but me and stevoz made the call, and if you have to blame someone, blame me.

and the tilt thing was just because tilt straight up attacked cowboy.

it doesn't matter if cowboy and tilt were both right, or if PD is,
what matters is that kind of thing is bad for the forum.

if i was on staff when PD was going against rob, i would've tried to stop it,
not because i am robophile, but because it was wrong.
similarly i stopped cowboy going after PD.

i cannot believe seemingly grown men and women,
a) have to have their hands slapped in the first place
and
b) act like little children when it happens.

if the staff just trying to keep forum free of ridiculous, old, flame wars
causes all the VP old timers from even visiting, i can't think of another thing to call it, but childish.

if these actions drive people away, but full on no holds barred does as well,
then i am like stevoz, i have no fucking idea what people want.

Mack, the book isn't online somewhere (that I know of). It's just on my hard drive. If you don't want me to read it, I can get rid of it. I never seem to get around to it anyway.

Da Prez, while I may have seemed obsessed with criticizing Rob or something, the guy was going around insulting other authors' work to prop up his own and SOMEONE needed to tell him to stop it. I tried to be nice and explain to him he was going down a bad path acting that way (as he apparently just could not see it or didn't want to), but that just resulted in flaming insults thrown back at me. He modded someone's table (apparently without their permission by Tab and Destruk's account) and then replaced the primary table at VPF with his mod. More than a few (including one of the authors involved) told me they think he just wants to get his name on a bunch of tables (some of those mods were very small). He also said he should have the right to mod anyone's table, even locked ones. If you tried to discuss it, he would say he's just stating his opinion so don't argue with him yet he'd then write a few books why he should be able to do it.

I usually defend modders' rights (I stood up to KC when he was insulting modders and abusing his power at VPF), but in this case Rob was walking over several lines and then called me a hypocrite (and a stalker like his old girlfriend) for simply telling him his behavior was over the line (you don't need to insult the work of others to make yours look good or have a right to demand to mod other people's tables). I have to summarize since his diatribes even make mine look short by comparison. He stooped to flames and insults. I just tried to get the guy to see how he was behaving.

Admittedly, it was a waste of time since he can't see his own reflection in the mirror, but I figured the last thing we needed was another blowhard at VPF and I figured I might be able to nip it in the bud before it bloomed out of control. Clearly, I was wrong. Besides, that's my job dammit! ;) (or at least so I've been told by Nicolas and a few others).

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back