Twilight Zone

AnonTet

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Nice trick. Thanks for sharing and I think it'll be really useful for me if I can replicate that look.

It looks better already.

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I have finished creating the shadow maps. It is usually a struggle to add shadow maps. I was surprised how easy it was this time. When I started working on this mod, I just copied some code from Space Shuttle over to TZ which included to code for shadow maps and remarked it out until I was ready to add it. When I added some bulbs to it, it worked amazingly well. I just made a few tweaks and it was ready.

The upper playfield doesn't have any objects to create shadows. I decided instead to use the bulbs I added next to the lanes and use the shadow maps to light up the lanes. The main objective is the get the shadow maps work in front of the slingshots. The metalic strips on the slings cast some nice shadows.

This is the latest screenshot:
```Twilight Zone ULTIMATE 1.02.png

NitroNimbus

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
I see @SLAMT1LT is now updating his version of this table.
Funny, when I posted T2 a week later he was updating this table also.
Seems a waste to have two talented people working on the same table individually, but since @SLAMT1LT
doesn't seem to be releasing his tables anymore, we now only get to watch a video and be told how great it is.
At least we will all be able to play your version when it is done, looking forward to it, cheers!

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I see @SLAMT1LT is now updating his version of this table.
Funny, when I posted T2 a week later he was updating this table also.
Seems a waste to have two talented people working on the same table individually, but since @SLAMT1LT
doesn't seem to be releasing his tables anymore, we now only get to watch a video and be told how great it is.
At least we will all be able to play your version when it is done, looking forward to it, cheers!
I noticed that Slam posted on his site that he is updating the table. I had already put a lot of work into it before he posted this so I will finish my version. It might take years for him to post his version.

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I have finished the lighting. As you can see by the screenshot below, I changed the appearance of the light inserts on the playfield. I think Francisco got carried away with the fake halos on the inserts. I think they were exaggerated too much so I made the halos more subtle. The coding for the lights doesn't take as much time as making the adjustments so all of them so they have the same brightness and glow. The lights in the back of the table were much darker than the ones in the front. I am not sure but the inserts might be a bit too bright. You might post comments on what you think. I changed the color of all the lights a bit also. I added 5 switchable light modes and the screenshot shows the night mode. I had a lot of trouble with a shadow being cast over the clock but I finally got rid of it.

The second screenshot below shows the miniplayfield and bumpers. The bumpers have a texture of Rod Serling that was so dark you could barely see it. I illuminated it. The texture for the miniplayfield had some defects that I fixed and I made it a little brighter. The main playfield appears to have been redrawn because I cannot see any defects. A scan of the miniplayfield from the real table must have been been used because it had scratches on it that I fixed.

I managed to discontinue using 8 textures that were the size of the playfield (but were "power of 2"). One of them was only used for the lens of 3 small lights. Oddly, the table only loads 3 seconds faster than it did. I thought that removing 8 textures would improve it but it didn't. I saw a pretty dramatic improvement when I converted all the frames for the video to "power of 2" but evidently reducing the number of textures doesn't help much.

The next set is to add JP's menu system.

Twilight Zone ULTIMATE 1.02.png

```Twilight Zone ULTIMATE 1.022.png

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I have finished adding JP's menu system. I added 9 menu options, the most I have ever added to any table (see the list below). I have never added any options for physics before (items 2-4). My favorite new menu item is "Bounce Control". If you have ever opened the script on one of my table mods, the script has 4 variables for each bounce setting. If you want to make a change, you had to exit your game, make the change in the script and play the game again and it still may not be how you want it. Now, you just play the table and change this menu option or press the "K" key in-game to change it. The 12 groups on the menu correspond to the 12 groups I used to post in the script. Then, I added two 1/2 step groups where the values are at the midpoint of the two groups to make sure you can fine tune your setting in the sweet spot.

My friend, AnonTet, help me improve the efficiency of this code. No one ever talks about the efficiency of code in the FP script. It is because most subroutines just run one time when the table loads and that is it. Dynamic flippers run all the code for the flippers every time the ball hits the flippers so efficiency come into play. It is why I provide an option to disable Paulo's code that makes a sound when the ball hits the flippers because some PCs may not be able to handle it. The problem I saw is the physics of the ball would slow down when the CPU couldn't handle the load. It never caused any stuttering, just slow physics.

1. Lighting
2. Dynamic Flipper Selection
3. Bounce Control Options
4. Table Slope Selection
5. Balls Per Game 3/5
6. Video Options During Attract Mode
7. End of Game Video Play/Not Play
8. HUD On/Off
9. Flipper Sound On/Off

```Twilight Zone ULTIMATE 1.025.png

Popotte

Flipper is good for you!
Site Supporters
I have finished adding JP's menu system. I added 9 menu options, the most I have ever added to any table (see the list below). I have never added any options for physics before (items 2-4).
Hello,
for Playboy (Bally-1978 ), so not a really modern table, I have 15 options.
For Twilight Zone, you must expect more than 20 options (see the manual) only for the games. But as FP doesn't read rom, it's a pain to code all the possibilities.
But thanks for your hard work! Come on George!

Last edited:

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I have fixed the pyramid light. Francisco created a model for the bulb. When you make a bulb that large, the glow only shows up on part of the bulb as you can see in the "Before" screenshot. I added some unrendered bulbs to it and used BAM's lighting options to make it illuminate the entire pyramid.

I have noticed that some table developers use different models for unrendered bulbs that I think were intended to make a larger glow. I have done some testing and found that unrendered bulbs only only produce glow and the glow is identical regardless of the model. ...But with BAM, you can create an unrendered bulb that has a very large glow (glow radius) which will make the bulb too bright. Then you can reduce the glow brightness to something like 0.5. That way the glow is larger and has the correct glow brightness. The housing on the bulb on a rendered bulb is what produces brightness which is different from glow brightness. I increased the brightness to 1.2 which also helped to make the pyramid be fully illuminated.

I completed a few more items on my bucket list on the first posting. The first item on the bucket list said to fix the appearance of the playfield and back box but that didn't need to be done on this table. ...So I changed the first item to replace the audio which I planned to do from the beginning. The only things left are to work on the audio and add bump maps. I don't think bump maps will help much on this table because most of the objects are smooth but I will try it.

I added the BAM message that warns you when you don't have the correct version of BAM.

I also finished converting all the textures to power of 2. The loading time still takes about 43 seconds. That is pretty good when you consider I added several textures for the menu.

Before_______________________________After
1619542132907.png
1619542177926.png

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    @ Todd: **** **** **** *** ** ***** *** ******* *** *** ***** ***** ** ***** *** *** **** *** **** ** ****