What music are you listening to?

I don't that song in my collection but I do have the album "Gone Again".

Here is a song from back in my breakdancing days!! lol
And yes I could spin on my head back then. Think it would snap my neck these days. lol

Video..

Definitive..

This song also reminds me that I made a VP9 sound mod of Break from Videodens.
I am going to update it, and also try to make a VPX version of it.
Stay tuned!!
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
Haha, that song takes me back. I first heard it while working my first 'real' job, BOH at McDonald's. They were pretty cool I guess about letting us blast music from the storage area so that we heard it in the BOH, but it wasn't audible FOH.

Song also reminds me of "Let it Whip" which came out a couple years earlier I think.

Anyway, I always admired you breakdancers. Rock on with that stuff. Breakdancing was really a level above what I was comfortable with, so I never even tried it. I also assume you need a strong core and legs, and I've always been on the chicken-legged side no matter how much exercise I do.

That said, I still love dancing, and usually when I perform these days (stage karaoke), I try to invent something that fits the instrumental breaks, assuming I'm not drumming. I'm definitely inspired by the classic Soul Train lines, even if it's just to make people laugh.

Here is a song from 1981 I remember always hearing on radio, but never remembered who did it or what the name was.
Took me an hour to find it online. (Without knowing band name or name of song!!)
The only words I knew were in the song were "James Brown", and that was not enough for Google Search!!
These girls are singing about what they want to do when they get out of jail!! lol

Music Video..
aCWCF19nUhA
And extended version..
c6cupPioWx8
Funny, I don't think I heard that song at all until the late 80's, when I was in a Rap phase. There might have been a song that sampled it, not sure.

But also, I think this song was popular around that time in dance club and radio mixes, where they'd pick a long series of songs that flowed in to each other in a complimentary way, without waiting for any of them to properly end.

Hmm, for some reason that song reminds me just a little bit of this one:

That song reminds me of Beverly Hills Cop movie. They sung Neutron Dance I think.
The theme music for that movie is also pretty cool.

Here is Arcade song from the 80's.

Original..

And someone did a remake and added words, and made a video!!

Love the 80's!!

Yoko Ono is definitely a strange person. She recorded "Woman Power" which is apparently her commentary on the male dominated world:

GtvdYy7tZL0

What is even stranger is something she called "Voice Piece for Soprano" that she performed at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. It was actually a scream if you can believe it:

HdZ9weP5i68

You should open the YouTube web site and read the comments that are posted.
The comments aren't surprising, but I do think there's a lot more to unpack about Yoko than most casuals are willing to do. Even loads of the most hardcore Beatles fans tend to blame her for the breakup, which is maybe 5% true at very best.

When I watched the first episode of the recent Get Back documentary, at first I was blown away by how cool it was to see so much of the behind-the-scenes sessions, but by around the middle, it got to be a downright depressing watch. As a fan I intended to watch all three (for a total of 7-8hrs I think), but I couldn't even finish the first. The boys seemed so utterly... tired, drained, and even cruel to each other at times. Point is-- it was pretty clear to me that working together had become an absolute slog, and it was almost certainly best for their mental health for them to break up sooner rather than later.

Btw, a month or two back I read a really good comment on Reddit about Yoko. It pointed out that John probably fell for her so madly because she was such an absolute punk (and performance artist). He no doubt could have picked from scores of beautiful women, talented women, and fellow artists, but he fell for a punk, who was clearly interested in breaking down the world and viewing it in new light. The very counterpart of what he'd been trying for in recent years.

You know, John himself is a load to unpack, and evidently much of it isn't pretty.

Btw, I'd meant to share more of my ongoing song discoveries here, so here's a couple recent ones:

(Spike Jones would probably skip the first :23 of this one)

Oh, speaking of the Quarrymen, I'd never heard their song Cayenne before recently.
I find it startlingly haunting and beautiful for an early Beatles tune.

That song reminds me of Beverly Hills Cop movie. They sung Neutron Dance I think.
The theme music for that movie is also pretty cool.

Here is Arcade song from the 80's.

Original..
XY_ESTnBlS0

And someone did a remake and added words, and made a video!!
R3YVYu6Xx5M

Love the 80's!!
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to stick with the Curly Shuffle in that case. XD

Another novelty I want to try on a peak-energy karaoke night is the one below. I can do the individual voices alright, but having to do them all myself, especially with the speed-up at the end, would probably be brutal. Ah well, we'll see...

It's worse than that, he's dead jim!! lol love it!! I actually know that song by heart!! lol

Reminded me of Star Wars Gangsta Rap which I almost added both of these songs to that Greedo's Cantina table!!
Funny thing is I never knew about these videos, as I had only listened to them on mp3.

Original..
Special Edition..

And Gangsta Rap 2...

Haha, those are pretty good. Reminds me a bit of the Epic Rap Battles of History series. Visually they're pretty funny, but the music doesn't really do anything for me. Probably why I fell out of love with Rap around the early-to-mid 90's.

For me, almost all the humor and playfulness was gone, replaced by who could be a bigger asshole, essentially.

But going back to the fun days of Rap, below are a couple I liked. True, they all had a certain wannabee-badass vibe, but that was balanced by either a light-hearted quality, or lots of humor, or social points to make:

Before there was air guitar, there was broom guitar...:guitar:

I'm fairly new to Polyphia and i'm not sure everyone here knows about this guys. Their latest "Playing God" is amazing in so many levels. The sounds they get out of the guitars, all the nuances, the melodies... brilliant stuff.

I'm against YT for music (or any compressed format really) and this particular song really shows why. So, make sure you get the best pair of speakers or phones possible and use either Tidal or find a version in lossless format like flac.

I'm fairly new to Polyphia and i'm not sure everyone here knows about this guys. Their latest "Playing God" is amazing in so many levels. The sounds they get out of the guitars, all the nuances, the melodies... brilliant stuff.

I'm against YT for music (or any compressed format really) and this particular song really shows why. So, make sure you get the best pair of speakers or phones possible and use either Tidal or find a version in lossless format like flac.
Link me, bro?

@Isaac Sauvage
Tidal version: https://tidal.com/browse/album/227095353

Since I have a subscription, I don't have it on my PC to share (at least for now :D )
I don't have an acct there, so I settled for the YT version.

Definitely some nice guitar work there. Also interesting because they're playing electrics in the video, but they sound way more like acoustic guitars to my ears.

So possibly some effect processing going on.

They are playing nylon string guitars, more specifically custom Ibanez Talman (older model as far as I know).

They deleted my other links so here are couple new links..
Heavy Metal mixed with Classical!!
Here is Yngwie Malmsteen's first album Rising Force

and second album Marching Out...

This is great pinball work music!! Gets me motivated!!
Also great to just kick back and relax too.
Perfect blending of the 2 genres!! Metal and Classical!!

I only liked his first 2 albums, but here is his 3rd album called Trilogy...

Enjoy!!

I still remember his arpeggios from hell in 2000's something if i'm not mistaken. That guy knows a thing or two about music and he can play it too... and play it FAST :D

Sometime back I was watching a Gordon Ramsey (the chef) special, and heard a song from the 90's that I'd always misattributed to The Breeders. Finally got Shazam and Soundhound (music ID apps) reinstalled on my phone recently and identified the song, which was actually by a UK band named The Charlatans.

Nice 90's alt-pop feel there, which for some reason seemed to go extinct by the 2000's. Seriously, the whole genre just sort of disappeared at the mainstream level, altho still lives on in Indie music to an extent.

Next up, I wanted to identify a song that was later sampled in to a different tune ("Rhesus Perplexus" by Bullitnuts). It's a French-African song I first heard... once again in the mid-90's.

I used Audacity to isolate just the choruses, but this time, Soundhound & Shazam weren't able to identify it. I think the problem is that the second song is overlaying some heavy beats and a synthesizer-type line on top of the simple chorus. Yeah, I might have to hit Reddit to get this one identified...

Attachments

• chorus sample used in Bullitnuts - Rhesus Perplexus.mp3
    232.1 KB
Today I felt like listening Jean-Michell Jarre, in particular Oxygene Album but specifically Oxygene pt.2

And if you feel like bleeding from years is fine I leave you with "epoch sound" quality version :D Yes, it was that bad at the time :D

Funny story: After I heard this I search for it (a huge thing at the time) and found Concert's in Houston/Lyon Vinyl from JMJ. Song was not there but electronic music never left me ever again.

A few years later I've found Steve Vai (which is my favorite guitar player) and I felt like listening his latest collaboration with Polyphia (that I mentioned before) "once" more :D

I just received my vinyl of Jean-Michel Jarre's new album Oxymore... guess what i'm about to listen :D

I just received my vinyl of Jean-Michel Jarre's new album Oxymore... guess what i'm about to listen :D
I'm listening to Oxygene Pt. 2 on YT, and find it nice.

A little bit like a smoother, lighter version of Tangerine Dream's stuff, or even like some of the brilliant, modern remixes of C64 classics.

I love anything 8bit but alas, i'm biased as hell. 8bit music got me into electronic music so... there really is something about 8bit sounds

/edit
@Isaac Sauvage
BTW, Tangerine Dream as a colaboration with JMJ in the album Electronica vol.1 and also on Planet Jarre

Last edited:
As a lifelong fan of Chrissie Hynde (she's even from around here, as a bonus), I was perfectly gobsmacked when I heard this slammin' 2016 tune:

Like... is singer Jade Vincent Chrissie's daughter?!

And just for fun, below is an actual Chrissie song, made in 1982, when she and drummer Martin Chambers were trying to pick up the pieces from the deaths of the original guitarist James Honeyman-Scott and bassist Pete Farndon.

Appropriately enough, after deciding to soldier on, the next album was titled "Learning to Crawl." For my money, it's in the slight lead for best Pretenders album ever.

Just got all the worlds a Stage double album from Rush, for 2 bucks. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back