What music are you listening to?

Mother of god, if this isn't the greatest song I've heard in my life, I sure as hell certainly don't know what else is:

Spooky Tooth - That Was Only Yesterday (1969)

Ah, mashups...
When everything comes together (literally!) you get a new song that more or less improves on the originals used, often mixing genres and bands together to astounding and hilarious effect.

I even find mashups downright educational, because they demonstrate that music production can be a lot more fluid than first meets the eye. For example, you can have two songs with completely different chords, feel and tempo, and yet with a little adjustment here and there, they can actually flow back and forth in to each other.

Well, onwards. Here then are some recent discoveries, starting with Bill McClintock's stuff.

Vank Walen - "Your Jumpin' Heart"
Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' Heart
Van Halen - Jump

Leotallica - "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing (You Know It's Sad But True)"
Leo Sayer - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
Metallica - Sad But True

Buffalo MC - "Stop and Bust a Move"
Buffalo Springfield - For What it's Worth
Young MC - Bust a Move
Def Leppard - Rock of Ages
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Van Halen - Jamie's Cryin'

--- and two more that are maybe a little rougher around the edges, but still pretty entertaining ---

MegaJackson - "Sweating Robins"
Michael Jackson - Rockin' Robin
Megadeth - Sweating Bullets

Mariah Manson - "All I Want For Christmas is the Beautiful People"
Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People
Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas is You​

Got to be honest, Spooky does not do it for me, though I do like a well done mash, so I'll check them out. Here is one of my faves.

AC⚡DC, Thunderstruck by The Seagulls.

Also this..

Last edited:
Nice!

You know, that first cover reminds me a good bit of Run C&W's stuff, in which they give the bluegrass / old-timey treatment to a bunch of hits from completely different genres, such as Motown. As with the best mashups, I'm left both chuckling and genuinely enjoying the music.

Here's one:

Haha, 4-Chord Song is awesome! That's the humor & energy I love, plus a bit of 'poking the bear' at the song-writing industry. That one's going straight to me song list.

How about a video music remix...with sound effects from the videos cleverly incorporated.

:hack:

Ooh lala, and whew laddie... I just semi-randomly discovered this online station / channel right in time for the season:

Such a kickass mix of Soul-style Xmas songs, and hugely refreshing after listening to the same ol', same ol' for too many decades. Here's a couple of my faves:

Cons: There's too much dang James Brown in that channel for my taste. Nothing against James' native style, but he tends to turn every song in to a 'look, it's me, James Brown, doing James Brown things!' kind of deal. Edit: actually, I'm hearing more cool, low-key stuff by him now. Guess I caught him in his late phase at first.

Attachments

• jollysoul-400.150x.gif
    jollysoul-400.150x.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
So, another edit-branch of popular music are songs shifted in to alternate keys. For example, major to minor and minor-to-major. The effect can be pretty gob-smacking at times.

That said, sure... at worst, they just sound 'off' / weird / not worth doing... it's true.
But when they work?
Hoo boy, it's like breathing new life and a fresh POV in to a beloved classic!

One's faves will obviously vary across time and place, but here are some candidates, if you have an ear for them:

Who are two singers that you would never dream would perform together? This has got to be them ... but they are good:

Who are two singers that you would never dream would perform together? This has got to be them ... but they are good:
They recorded two records together and I like it.

They recorded two records together and I like it.

I have both albums. Plus I have all 6 of Led Zeppelin's studio albums and many of Alison Krauss's albums. But what is even stranger than seeing them both sing together is to see them singing "Black Dog" together:

Note: the video will work but you have to click on the link.

Ok my first video embed so hope this works properly.

Has anyone heard of Russ Ballard?
He used to be part of Argent band.

Here is one of my faves from the 80's..

Voices
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also anybody listen to Planet P Project?
I like to call it Space Rock!!
Tony Carey is a keyboardist and organist who also played with Rainbow.
He is also a Vocalist!!

Here is a great one...
Why Me?..
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

King for a day...

and Ruby..

Only You and Me
I love the whole first album!!

But what is even stranger than seeing them both sing together is to see them singing "Black Dog" together
Yes very strange with a banjo!!

Reminded me of ACDC song Highway to Hell sung by the Hayseed Dixie
Highway to Hell

Weird how songs can sound so different when played in another genre.

Speaking of which. Haley Reinhart did a new PMJ video, first in 6 years. Great cover.

I as wondering where they went.
That voice....

/edit
Wait.. that one is from 2021!

Oh yeah this one is a classic. 1977.

Scorpions - Sails Of Charon

This song just kicks pure metal ass. This is the song that keeps reminding me to listen to the Scorps again. No other song does it.

Last edited:
When I was 16, I went to my first concert at Irvine Meadows in Southern California.
It was a Dio Dream Evil concert.
Faster Pussycat opened the show, and then Dio played, and a special guest played with Dio.
Yngwie Malmsteen!! (The main reason we went!!)
He is one bad ass guitarist!! and very fast!!
Metal mixed with classical!!
I don't care for his newer stuff, but his first 2 albums were kick ass!!

Rising Force..

When I was 16, I went to my first concert at Irvine Meadows in Southern California.
It was a Dio Dream Evil concert.
Faster Pussycat opened the show, and then Dio played, and a special guest played with Dio.
Yngwie Malmsteen!! (The main reason we went!!)
He is one bad ass guitarist!! and very fast!!
Metal mixed with classical!!
I don't care for his newer stuff, but his first 2 albums were kick ass!!

Rising Force..

Marching Out..
I've only been to TWO concerts.

The first one was in Colorado and I was about 9. It was at McNichols Sports Arena (which is now gone) and the family went to see Neil Diamond. Let me tell you as a kid I thought he was awful but today I can appreciate what we saw. I still remember this concert.

The second concert was just AMAZING. It was at The House Of Blues in Chicago. I got to see Dio in his "Magica" tour and it was completely mindblowing; Ronnie just rocked his way through the entire album with a few extra songs from other albums near the end. Craig Goldy was there and rocked the entire joint. Well worth every penny to see both of them but Ronnie brought the ENTIRE ORIGINAL BAND from that album so everything was complete. I was in my late 20's when I saw this concert and will NEVER forget every second of it.

There are only two other bands I wish to see in concert. One is Yes and the other is Asia. There is one other but they have disbanded a long time ago called The Dream Academy. I listen to A LOT of different bands so yes this is a strange list to be sure.

Huge Dio fan, favorite singer. I missed his last tour, and then he died soon after. Very sad. His Elf stuff was amazing. There's a new movie on his life just came out from his widow as well, world debut last week, so will be getting that when it comes out on DVD.

Recently, been collecting the record store day picture disks, Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, Holy Diver and Last in line all last year, and hopefully dehumanizer, dream Evil, and the devil you know come out this year.

Best male singer in metal. This though is my favorite.

OK. I like all musics, classical, jazz, variety, pop, rock, ...
I've my hall of fame (Mozart, John Coltrane) and a french team; Magma.
It's not the better captation, but let's go!

And obviouly Weather Report

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back