Fast Tracking my BAM/FP comprehension

@polygame
I haven't discussed grab from a list with Rav.
But now I see what you mean. Just like in Shadow Maps where you scroll through a list of all lights
and BAM does it for you. I will ask Rav about it after he creates the Group Grab from a surface container that you suggested

It is easy to have a list template in the code.....

Code:
Function CreateMiniPlayfield(ByRef item, Z, H)
   Dim X, Y
   X = item.X
   Y = item.Y
   Const e = 0.2
   Dim MP
   Set MP = xBAM.CreateMiniPlayfield(X-e, X+e, Y-e, Y+e, Z-e, Z+H+e, X, Y, Z)
   MP.MoveTo X, Y, Z, 0,0,0, 1, 0
   Set CreateMiniPlayfield = MP
End Function

'Dim miniplayfield_0
'Set miniplayfield_0  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_1
'Set miniplayfield_1  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_2
'Set miniplayfield_2  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_3
'Set miniplayfield_3  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_4
'Set miniplayfield_4  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_5
'Set miniplayfield_5  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_6
'Set miniplayfield_6  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_7
'Set miniplayfield_7  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_8
'Set miniplayfield_8  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_9
'Set miniplayfield_9  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

'Dim miniplayfield_10
'Set miniplayfield_10  = CreateMiniPlayfield(YourObjectName, 0, 40)

I think Rav is next developing Grab box from an enclosing surface for multiple object grab

Last edited:
no problem it is a very good thread. I am very interested about that Paolo.

Ok,thanks.....Steve,I will try Bob's suggestion as an example the trigger1

I haven't discussed grab from a list with Rav.
But now I see what you mean. Just like in Shadow Maps where you scroll
through a list of all lights and BAM does it for you.

Exactly! this would be the most easiest way to achieve that in one click

but I'll look at your example later. maybe it is
easier to do the "script in FP" way.

The code creates the orange box for you. You don't have to move it.
It is the green box that gets moved for everything else.

Try this Paolo

1. Start a "new table"
2. Add a trigger called "Trigger1" anywhere you want

3. Paste this code:
Code:
   Dim X, Y
   X = item.X
   Y = item.Y
   Const e = 0.2
   Dim MP
End Function

Dim miniplayfield_0
Set miniplayfield_0  = CreateMiniPlayfield(Trigger1, 0, 40)

That's it . Orange box is done.
where is the orange box? the one that catches, or takes
the trigger ... I don't see it? I see a green line ..... it looks like the green box? the one that moves the object .....?
how do I move the trigger on theplayfield?
Maybe.....using the yxz commands? so I don't solve my problem? I go crazy to move the green box (trigger in this case) with the yxz commands

it is not the first time that I ask Rav for a better system (for me I mean, I know it is easy for ALL you, but for me not) to be able to move the two boxes .... I always repeat, only to move, from an A to B ..... I am not referring to forming the orange box based on the size of the object, I hope this is very clear .... ONLY MOVE THE TWO BOXES

View attachment mp1.mp4

Last edited:
I don't get it that easily Paolo. don't you worry.

this is what I am referring to Gimli, the clear concept is hard for certain person to grasp, I am one of them.
As an different example. If we transpose to programming in general, I have it easy to learn Js/JQuery/VBS/ActionScript2. But when it come to C++ or actionscript3.. my brain don't understand, become rapidly exhausted and it frustrate me and I abandon. It is just the way our brain is wired I guess.

Just pressing the Q key to launch BAM is an adventure for me. The way the menu work, the back and forth. each time I don't remember where I was before anyway..BAM give great result but it was not meant for everyone to tackle. so please...be patient as we try to be :)

Yah, for me... if I have a good example I can see and use for new things... then I'm usually good.

It took me a bit to catch on the using the BAM menu, CTRL+C and paste in to script.... and the mini tool at first was a bit frustrating until I learned how it worked. The newer updates are much easier to use since I did RetroFlair BAM edition (which I have a new update coming in the next day or two).

@Gimli

I showed your Fester target video to DJRobX (he's a VP dev who helped make the pup plug-in). While he may not play FP... he totally loves seeing what BAM and FP can do, and thought that was really cool.

Not sure this could work... but I wonder if we could stream the FP Script Editor into FP in VR... use the BAM mini playfield tool in VR and copy and paste into the script. Probably not... but the idea is cool :)

To clarifiy with the rest of the crew what my Grab box Idea was :

you can already INSTANTLY make a shadow map from ANY lights listed on the PF.

1. So, Why can't the user make a quick, tight and secure Grab Box, from a simple surface directly in FP.
2. This Grab box (surface) would simulate the actual Orange box in BAM.
3. Then, navigating in BAM interface to the Miniplayfield Option, you could see just a list of object to pick from by name, (just like shadow map.)
4. then the appropriated code get generated by BAM.

SEE TABLE ATTACHED (Surface GRABBOX_0)

Attachments

• Grab Box.fpt
    235 KB · Views: 103
I don't get it that easily Paolo. don't you worry.

honestly, i think, you are more inclined to understand more than me, in certain sectors of Bam?

lately I learned the custom camera,thanks to a big help from Rav, and also how to change the white light (xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightProperties)but that's another story.

for first .... it took me a long time to learn, and secondly, to use some Bam functions.....
example: setight mode,(or dynamic light......as he says gimli ) shadow maps(not perfectly........on Charlies Angels I think I did well ),ball trail,game room,custom ball,new renderer,and something else..... and I agree with when you say that not everyone can have the ability to understand everything about Bam, and I'm one of them.

although it was me, together with gimli, who thought the MP, (at that time for krull) it was always very difficult for me,but not, how does the MP work,, if I see it in the script I understand it, but the simple fact of move the boxes with the yzx system. for me it has always been a thorn in the side

in these years, I have suggested many things, among which, the orange box at first view , the collision of objects (not all Unfortunately) and the possibility of moving the boxes in another way.....but I never got an answer (maybe once, which was not possible, I don't remember)I asked the other day again,to Rav... not yet answered
but I have never been able to personally benefit, I have always asked Bob for help ..... the best in this sector

if in my previous comment, I used a hard tone in asking? .....if I gave this feeling I apologize...., but I still can't move an object from point A to point B, and this makes me sad......so I have enough patience to wait for the day when I will also be able to move an object,welcome aboard, Steve.

MP=miniplayfield function

Last edited:
General question. Reel It in, Astrohits and Multipede lags big time on my cabinets while I have a good video card and 16 gb of ram
I am trying to pinpoint what I could have done better so it plays more smoothly.

for example in reel it in, when the rowing boat animation start, the ball seem to hit 10 fps and everything become unplayable. same if the ball unfortunatly hit the reel. When the ball is secure during the minigame in the overlay...everything is smooth again.

In tempexx, this is when the ball hit the reactor far back. Again, until the ball succeed to escape, the framerate become unplayable.

I made these long ago, so maybe something changes in BAM causing this but I think it was the way I made them. If there are better practice, I'd like to hear about them. What could I have done to make it a better experience for the user.

I feel like most of my table are unplayable eye candy. Any Idea?

Yes Steve george can fix it or show you how . The array codes you used conflict with windows virus program

[/QUOTE]
Yes Steve george can fix it or show you how

Are we talking about replacing the code that Windows Defender doesn't like? I have Defender and anti-virus disabled on my cabinet... so that's why I probably have never seen this happen.

Are we talking about replacing the code that Windows Defender doesn't like? I have Defender and anti-virus disabled on my cabinet... so that's why I probably have never seen this happen.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly

I wouldnt know but yes I use windows 10 and win defender included in it.

I wouldnt know but yes I use windows 10 and win defender included in it.

I do bilieve this post is what he's referring to.

George had a way of expanding your codes

oh...ok..so all my table need to NOT have any "eval" (I understand why it would problemetic)...hmmmm...
it is damn important to know!

In wasnt an issue till windows 10

Ok got it.

Side note, since animated gifs are the rage these days, wouldn't it be more efficient to have an external folder
full of animated gifs that you just display at runtime for DMD/Holo/Overlay, Instead of preloading tons of frames that clogs the pipe?

I say leave the High quality images in FP for everything needing a texture but for animation??

Last edited:
where is the orange box? the one that catches, or takes
the trigger ... I don't see it? I see a green line ..... it looks like the green box? the one that moves the object .....?
how do I move the trigger on theplayfield?
Maybe.....using the yxz commands? so I don't solve my problem? I go crazy to move the green box (trigger in this case) with the yxz commands

it is not the first time that I ask Rav for a better system (for me I mean, I know it is easy for ALL you, but for me not) to be able to move the two boxes .... I always repeat, only to move, from an A to B ..... I am not referring to forming the orange box based on the size of the object, I hope this is very clear .... ONLY MOVE THE TWO BOXES

View attachment 14377
@wild
Hey Paolo in your video you didn't change scale or choose new position of green box. Try that.

***NOTE*****
many objects can be grabbed in almost a single point (you dont need to see a box) If scale =0 makes it disappear then you've got it !
In your videeo there is a colored vertical line • in this case that IS the grab box

Yah, for me... if I have a good example I can see and use for new things... then I'm usually good.

It took me a bit to catch on the using the BAM menu, CTRL+C and paste in to script.... and the mini tool at first was a bit frustrating until I learned how it worked. The newer updates are much easier to use since I did RetroFlair BAM edition (which I have a new update coming in the next day or two).

@Gimli

I showed your Fester target video to DJRobX (he's a VP dev who helped make the pup plug-in). While he may not play FP... he totally loves seeing what BAM and FP can do, and thought that was really cool.

Not sure this could work... but I wonder if we could stream the FP Script Editor into FP in VR... use the BAM mini playfield tool in VR and copy and paste into the script. Probably not... but the idea is cool :)
@TerryRed
Very cool. You know I can make a fester ball too right? Like bb8
No idea why anyone would want fester ball
:)
Not sure what you mean with vr ? Do you mean vp?

Ok got it.

Side note, since animated gifs are the rage these days, wouldn't it be more efficient to have an external folder
full of animated gifs that you just display at runtime for DMD/Holo/Overlay, Instead of preloading tons of frames that clogs the pipe?

I say leave the High quality images in FP for everything needing a texture but for animation??
@polygame @TerryRed
I am sure the pinup stuff allows animated gifs..
I used a program to extract the frames from animated gifs and imported them but that is not what you mean

it's the concept to have a window already open somewhere that I don't like (that's what I understand it was doing)

@polygame
Ya
Although for my purposes I will only have a dummy plug in graphics card

Once you have the game configured that is

Hey Paolo in your video you didn't change scale or choose new position of green box. Try that.

Try this Paolo

1. Start a "new table"

3. Paste this code:

Code:

Dim X, Y
X = item.X
Y = item.Y
Const e = 0.2
Dim MP
End Function

Dim miniplayfield_0
Set miniplayfield_0 = CreateMiniPlayfield(Trigger1, 0, 40)

but I did nothing, Bob, I just copied your suggestion ...... but what can I know .... if it is on a reduced scale, the green box,I am completely unaware of it

but...my problem remains, the green box how do I move it? using the method with yxz?

Try this Paolo

1. Start a "new table"

3. Paste this code:

Code:

Dim X, Y
X = item.X
Y = item.Y
Const e = 0.2
Dim MP
End Function

Dim miniplayfield_0
Set miniplayfield_0 = CreateMiniPlayfield(Trigger1, 0, 40)

but I did nothing, Bob, I just copied your suggestion ...... but what do I know .... if it is on a reduced scale, the green box

my problem remains, the green box how do I move it? using the method with yxz?
@wild
Yes experiment
Throw some new numbers into the target section in the menu. And see what happens

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back