How did you like that movie / TV show / book?

Sorry matey, but you know the code, right?

Now would you like to hear me sing the iconic song for you...?
Cuz I'm pretty sure that might go a bit dastardly! D:
Well... HELLO THERE, matey!
:D
You want to sing song ? Yeah I'm not sure what you are talking about you are making jokes.

Don't worry, you're not the only one lost in translation, I didn't get it either :)

Anyway, it's just Isaac being.. well... Isaac :)

HOLY #%$&!
I forgot about that one. I was 9 or 10 when I watched it 1st time. I was in my teens when I watched it for 2nd time with my girlfriend because, you know :D
Guess it is time to look for it ;)

Oops!
I had had some deep brews, earlier, remembering my good friend, Alex from Cluj.
Sorry for being an ass, if I was.

(still tho-- it's in my contract!)

Reminds me of that great movie slogan...

"Be afraid, be very afraid"

One of the best si fi movies ever, of course I gather you have all seen that movie at least twice.
Perfect actor for that movie also!
He already looked bug-eyed before the makeup! lol

Perfect actor for that movie also!
He already looked bug-eyed before the makeup! lol

Actually that was the remake, very good, though you really should see the original it is just classic.

I like to watch classic mystery or science fiction films with well written dialogue another part of movies I like is lightning effects or rain and snow. George A. Romero Night of the Living Dead or films from David Cronenberg they use the idea of making the film viewer feel trapped or surrounded by zombies like the snow and rain that I mentioned. Another movie I like to watch is Hound of the Baskervilles is a good mystery movie.

I watched "Ed Wood" tonight. I liked it. Martin Landau was really good in it.
One of my top ten films of all time.
Landau & Depp had amazing chemistry.

Altho IMO pretty much *everyone* in that movie nailed their roles to the max.

People such as: Jeffrey Jones, Bill Murray, George "The Animal" Steele, Sarah Jessica Parker, Mike Starr as the enraged-fatigued producer, Lisa Marie (Elvis' daughter), and of course Vince D'Onofrio (Private Leonard "Gomer Pyle" Lawrence in Full Metal Jacket) & Maurice LaMarche who combined to do a pretty mind-blowing Orson Welles impression.

Another movie I like to watch is Hound of the Baskervilles is a good mystery movie.
Nice. There's also Jeremy Brett's version (my favorite of all the Holmes).

And then there's a newer remake in Sherlock, in which they changed up a lot of the variables and modernised the tale. Thought that was quite good, too.

@spookyMoulder,
Btw, sorry again for being an ass, above.
It was my bad, sir.

And then there's a newer remake in Sherlock, in which they changed up a lot of the variables and modernised the tale. Thought that was quite good, too.

@spookyMoulder,
Btw, sorry again for being an ass, above.
It was my bad, sir.
It's ok I don't take it personal no problem Isaac Sauvage don't worry about it. The Jeremy Brett version is quite good too. The series was on TV the other day and it reminded me of the old classic that's why I mentioned it. The series has the actor who plays Doctor Strange. It's not a bad series but its set in modern time unlike the Robert Downey movies that make Sherlock a superhero. I like movies more of a detective classic Film Noir description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir

A few noir films I can think of is Bugsy, La Confidential or Chinatown and Public Enemies or Godfather but those are more mobster movies and not so much detective stories there is also The Pink Panther but that is more comedy detective.

@spookyMoulder,
Nothing against Robert Downey, but the idea of Holmes having special powers is pretty 'over the top' to me. I think that was also a bit of the problem with the Benedict Cumberbatch series by Mark Gatiss, which I thought started out beautifully, nicely in the spirit of the original, then got more & more sensationalised as it went on IMO. Like a superhero movie, or something.

Anyway, I've watched a few Holmes adaptations over the years, but there's always more to check out, huh? Unfortunately, a lot of them I've found pretty disappointing, like the other recent American adaptation (what was that called?), or the Russian series from the late 70's-early 80's, which seemed too much like it was replaying Rathbone's portrayal, or something.

That said, I found Miss Sherlock perfectly delicious, in which Holmes & Watson were played by women, produced only a couple years ago in Japan:

Tragically, there's a terrible conclusion to that series. Not in terms of the excellent show, but sadly, in terms of what happened to the lead actress.

Btw, I like Film noir, but am sadly behind the times.

Could you recommend me anything from Europe, perhaps?

Btw, I like Film noir, but am sadly behind the times.

Could you recommend me anything from Europe, perhaps?

The Pale Blue Eye is a good detective movie I only watched it once but it's worth watching again the movie almost fells like a Sherlock Holmes movie. That's probably why I watched it :-)

So I'd had a movie on my list for a long while, and finally got around to watching it the other night. It's sort of a Celtic shanty about a sea-stolen baby, set in a tiny Irish settlement.

It was an excruciating tale for the family, involving the loss of a newborn infant, almost mythologically so, yet a powerful journey about a little girl, sent to live with her grandparents in a small fishing village.

I'm so glad I got around to this one. It's a quiet, rather slow film, but nicely rewarding.
The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)

Last edited:
And just like that, what were the producers thinking..?

IMO the idea of The Road to Wellville (also 1994) sounded great. Like, such a funny, excellent premise about a modern-day "spa" around the turn of the century.

Unfortunately, it did little more than waste nice performances by Matthew Broderick, Anthony Hopkins & John Cusack. Bridget Fonda, Michael Lerner, Colm Meaney, and yes Dana Carvey made things more interesting, but this was just a hugely pointless spectacle of a ridiculous film.

TC Boyle is a nastily-good writer (lol), so it was rather a surprise he gave his stamp of approval to this subpar, literal bag of bullshit. Then again, where money flows...?

I have been watching some fan-made productions of Star Trek. The series I like the best is Star Trek New Voyages (sometimes known as "Star Trek Phase II"). The one thing that can be confusing is some of the roles might be performed by different actors in some of the episodes. They are all on YouTube, The first 10 are here:

You have to search for the rest of the shows in the series by name of the show on YouTube.

11. "Torment of Destiny"
12. "Bread and Savagery"
13. "Origins: The Protracted Man"
Vignettes:
"Center Seat"
"No-Win Scenario"
"1701 Pennsylvania Avenue"
"Going Boldly"

Then there was a good movie made I think was intended to be the pilot of a series that was never made:

Star Trek: Renegades (2015)

Last edited:
So, one thing I never quite understood about King of the Hill--

Why does Boomhauer put up with all those babbling buffoons, anyway?

There are a few things that I don't understand either.

1:
That Star Wars series The Bad Batch is about a group of Clone Troopers gone rogue.
Well if I was trying to hide from the empire, I sure as hell would not dress as a Clone Trooper anymore.
That would have been the first thing I ditched. So I could blend in with the crowd.

2:
Why in the hell does Barney have to trick Fred out of his Fruity Pebbles?
Can't he just go buy his own?

3:
They say space is expanding, and recently noticed that everything is moving faster and faster away from us.
Well if that is true, then how in the hell can they say the Andomeda Galaxy is going to collide with our Galaxy in the next 100 billion years?

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

There are a few things that I don't understand either.

1:
That Star Wars series The Bad Batch is about a group of Clone Troopers gone rogue.
Well if I was trying to hide from the empire, I sure as hell would not dress as a Clone Trooper anymore.
That would have been the first thing I ditched. So I could blend in with the crowd.

2:
Why in the hell does Barney have to trick Fred out of his Fruity Pebbles?
Can't he just go buy his own?

3:
They say space is expanding, and recently noticed that everything is moving faster and faster away from us.
Well if that is true, then how in the hell can they say the Andomeda Galaxy is going to collide with our Galaxy in the next 100 billion years?

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

If those are the only questions you have in life, you're doing pretty good.

3:
I think I might weigh in on this one.

Three is an appropriate number, because last I checked, the galaxies are estimated to collide in 3b years, not 100b.

As I understand it, this is also a pretty ordinary event in the history of the universe, in that pretty much all larger structures formed out of collisions between smaller ones, or at least formed out of aggregations of smaller material. This is true of galactic superclusters all the way down to stars & planets, including the contents of the Solar System.

Another interesting fact about the future combination of the Milky Way & Andromeda is that most of the stellar material won't actually interact much due to the vast distances between stars. Galaxies are pretty empty, after all. Indeed, there's not nearly enough known stellar & other material in galaxies to hold them together by force of gravity, hence the need for the concept of dark matter to balance that equation.

Anyway, getting to the question-- as I understand it, the galaxies are simply headed towards each other faster than the universe is expanding. Much faster, in fact.

So when they say all of the stars in the sky are moving away from us quicker and quicker, and these stars will no longer be able to be seen in future, how does that jive with Andromeda moving closer and closer, and eventually colliding with us?
So everything except Andromeda is moving faster and faster away from us?
That does not make sense.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back