Twilight Zone

Twilight Zone is to me, one of those rare pins in which the designers (Lawlor & crew) went absolutely all-out with the toys and fun stuff, yet the game still hangs together and never quite feels garish. I'm not sure how many other tables you can really say that about. So yeah, excellent choice on this one, George!

Seriously, if there's a university-level course on pinball design, this one really deserves to be part of the curriculum. Not just as an example of the above, but also because it's hugely evocative of the original show, and just damn fun to play.

Btw, did anyone catch the B&W real pin mod someone did a while back? Me, I want to like it, but I feel like they went a little overboard with the concept. Still, I think a version in which the overall colors were simply toned down a bit might look nice.

Actually, there was a concept I always wanted to get to back when I was designing in VP-- it would be a table which started out utterly bleak in terms of colors & sounds, and minimal in terms of features, but as the user hit shots over time, the game would add more and more color and fun extras to the mix. Potentially, if a user got in to wizard mode or something, the game would look like an eye-candy fireworks display, with a pumping soundtrack. Something like that, anyway.

No doubt it would be expensive & complicated to do in real life, but could be perfect for a simulation. Indeed, Jeff Block's "Colossal Power 2" is a bit of a parallel example. The look doesn't change too much on that one, but you have to level-up the game in order to get all the features working. Really delightful concept, if maybe frustrating at times, hehe.
"Actually, there was a concept I always wanted to get to back when I was designing in VP-- it would be a table which started out utterly bleak in terms of colors & sounds, and minimal in terms of features, but as the user hit shots over time, the game would add more and more color and fun extras to the mix. Potentially, if a user got in to wizard mode or something, the game would look like an eye-candy fireworks display, with a pumping soundtrack. Something like that, anyway." - This is like a fever dream to me. It would be an amazing game. God, what an idea! Seriously!!!

"Actually, there was a concept I always wanted to get to back when I was designing in VP-- it would be a table which started out utterly bleak in terms of colors & sounds, and minimal in terms of features, but as the user hit shots over time, the game would add more and more color and fun extras to the mix. Potentially, if a user got in to wizard mode or something, the game would look like an eye-candy fireworks display, with a pumping soundtrack. Something like that, anyway." - This is like a fever dream to me. It would be an amazing game. God, what an idea! Seriously!!!
Haha, thanks.

I had a lot of ideas like that over the years. Shame that my wrists and energy went (early arthritis, CFS), but I did manage to get the odd-project done, like billiards and a couple others.

Really though, there's quite a few authors who did playful, creative stuff with VP in particular. For example, Rascal:

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back