Space Shuttle (Williams, 1984)

Williams SS Recreation BAM FP Space Shuttle (Williams, 1984) 2022-01-17

No permission to download
Note: Click on the "Updates" tab to read the descriptions for versions 1.3 and 1.4

Note that the Special 2 key opens the menu.

Space Shuttle (Williams, 1984) v1.2
Table Developers: Sepeteus, Tomasaco, Popotte, GeorgeH
IPD No. 2260

"Space Shuttle" from Williams is the first solid state production pinball machine to have a playfield toy. Of course, it is the model of the space shuttle. Sepeteus published his version of this table on Future Pinball back in 2011. I have updated it with the latest features of BAM and added models and textures from Tomasaco.

I never really played this table very much until I added what I call a "Sound Level Control Panel" in the script. Many of the original sounds were too loud and others were too soft so this option evens out the sound. You can use it to perform global adjustments the sound levels for 4 categories of sound used on the table. The default settings will probably work for you for those of you that aren't up to tinkering.

I also added what I call a "Lighting Control Panel" in the script. You can make global adjustments to the lighting there for the 5 lighting modes for Day, Night, Dark Night, Night Glow and FP Original modes.

You can press the Special 2 key to open the menu system. There are 5 menu options where you can make changes to the set up. These are the menu options:
  • Select one of the 5 lighting modes listed above.
  • Select to illuminate the instruction cards on the apron or turn them off.
  • Select to control the lane lights for the U-S-A rollovers to use either both flippers or the right flipper only. If you want the table to play like the original table, you need to select the right flipper only. If you have played other tables, it feels awkward to control the lane lights with only the right flipper.
  • Select 3 or 5 balls per game.
  • Turn the Heads Up Display (HUD) on or off.
The menu will only open before you start the game. Each menu item has a "keyboard code" listed in the upper right corner of the screen. You can press the "keyboard code" to make changes during a game (except for balls per game). I change the lighting frequently so I tend to remember to press the "L" key during a game to change the lighting. I usually don't remember the codes for the other options because I only set them once using the menu.

BAM has a global option that turns the HUD off on all tables. It may be used by some pinball cabinet users. The menu won't work if you use this option. If the HUD is enabled, the menu will display unsqueezed on a pinball cabinet.

The table loading screen defaults to a widescreen texture named "!LoadingLandscape" that is good for desktop users. The pinball cabinet users can switch to a texture named "!LoadingPortrait" that will not be squeezed.

All the other features are discussed at the web link below but include the following:
  • Added new textures for the backglass and the table loading screen.
  • Added game room floor and backwall.
  • Added new instruction cards.
  • Added custom physics and dynamic flippers using emkickers on the slingshots.
  • Added a message that looks at BAM version that verifies you are using the correct version of BAM.
  • Added ball/flipper shadows and ball configuration to the script.
  • Added shadow maps.
  • Added plunger pull special script that allows you to easily select how far you pull back on the plunger.
  • Added bulbs that provide a halo which shines through the slingshots. .
This web link includes discussion of all the features added:

https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?threads/space-shuttle.20071/ (Williams - Space Shuttle)

Sepeteus added a rulesheet to version 1.1. I converted it to a PDF file, edited it and added screenshots of the parts of the table discussed. I also added a link to a video that does a good job of explaining the rules.

The download includes four library files that you need to save to your folder "Libraries". They are identical to the library files that were part of the original 1.1 version. There is no need to replace the libraries for this table if you installed version 1.1.

The download also has a high resolution version of the playfield texture that may be useful on a 4K display. The texture that is installed is actually high resolution also at 2048x4096. The version in the folder is higher res at 2155x4520 but it does not use "power of 2" so it will require more memory to load. The installed playfield texture should be sufficient for a desktop PC.

I added a version of the table that I call "rotated display". This is intended for those of us that have a desktop PC and can rotate the monitor so it is in portrait format. It improves the display if you are able to orient your monitor this way. I added a screenshot of it. This version will not be useful on pinball cabinets or on PCs which have a normal landscape orientation. The download includes a PDF file with directions on how to set up this version of the table.

Slamt1lt's "Aliens Legacy" is a very good table although I don't play it very much because the rules are so complex. I like to play "Space Shuttle" because the rules are pretty simple and it is fun to play. If you have played the real table, you will find that Sepeteus did a good job implementing the same rules as the original table. The main change I made to the rules are for the controls to switch the lane lights and I made them switchable so you can play it exactly like the original table (discussed above). The real table has 3 balls per game although I think there is a way to change it in the service menu. Everything I added is to make the table look and play better. I moved some smaller objects (mostly pegs) a tiny amount to make the table play better and be able to hit all the objects on the table. I started with my settings for the lighting I used on Attack From Mars and improved them on this table. I consider this table to have my best lighting. I think I got everything just right and hope you enjoy it.

George
  • Playfield.png
    Playfield.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 327
  • Backglass.png
    Backglass.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 301
  • Cabinet.png
    Cabinet.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 210
  • Rotated Display.png
    Rotated Display.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 338
Author
GeorgeH
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 4 ratings

More resources from GeorgeH

Latest updates

1. Space Shuttle (Williams, 1984)

Version 1.4 I made a few minor changes. The Bounce Control menu used the wrong screen on...
  2. Space Shuttle (Williams, 1984)

Version 1.3 One of the guys noticed a problem on Version 1.2. The ball on this table was not...

Latest reviews

Thank you for your dedication to this project, George. Really cool to see the progress!
GeorgeH
GeorgeH
It showcases several new features that have been added to BAM.
Upvote 0
Great work George!
GeorgeH
GeorgeH
Thanks Bob!
Upvote 0
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back