Sega Baywatch (Sega, 1995) pinball machine has died?

hemi6pak

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Terminator 2
G'Day
The other day I went to have a game but looks like my pinnie has called it quits and I am hoping one of you talented men could talk me through fixing it up again?
when I turn the power switch on it starts up just like normal but then after 5 seconds the dot matrix display goes through its version number and then goes blank and then nothing else happens??? normaly the dot matrix would show the baywatch theme and game highlites etc.
the playfield and headboard globes are on but none of the flippers, coin mech or start buttons lite up?
I have looked at both main power fuses near the power switch and all fuses in the headboard not sure where to start fault finding next any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Brendan.

if you dont have the manual for your machine you can download and printout the full manual from pinball database site. 132 pages , schematics and a lot of great info. have you checked the batteries and battery holders for corrosion if your game has them ? its possible thats why the machine doesnt go to attract mode. also visual check for burnt connectors on circuit boards.

if you dont have the manual for your machine you can download and printout the full manual from pinball database site. 132 pages , schematics and a lot of great info. have you checked the batteries and battery holders for corrosion if your game has them ? its possible thats why the machine doesnt go to attract mode. also visual check for burnt connectors on circuit boards.

I have seen bad batteries cause this many times. Even causing machine to lock up. Delt with this recently on a Godzilla machine. Replaced batties and cleaned battery holder and all was good.

Thanks for the info,

tried the batterys & holder but no luck any other ideas?
Cheers Bren.

have noticed that after 2-3 mins the machine starts to play the baywatch theme song but still no dot matrix display and no power to the playfield?

Cheers

have noticed that after 2-3 mins the machine starts to play the baywatch theme song but still no dot matrix display and no power to the playfield?

Cheers

Well that changes things a bit. See the attached picture. Check fuse F2 mounted to the back box. On most of these Data East machines, if that fuse is blown, you will get no CPU controlled lights and the DMD will not function properly since the +18 for the lamps supplies some voltage for the DMD. Could also be that BR1 is bad. It is a 35amp 200 volt Bridge rectifier. You can replace it with the same or higher rated (ie 35 amp 400 volt, 50amp 400volt). You can go higher but not lower. Check these out and let me know. I may have other ideas if this is not the problem.

Cheers!! :cheers:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    412.7 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
I have a display problem with the Baywatch. It keeps Blowing the F3 fuse ?? any suggestions as to how to fix this.. Thanks

I have a display problem with the Baywatch. It keeps Blowing the F3 fuse ?? any suggestions as to how to fix this.. Thanks

See my picture in my previous reply above. BR3 is probably bad. About a $7.00 replacement part. Easy way to see if this indeed the problem, disconnect the DMD display and replace the fuse. If it blows then BR3 is bad and replacing will solve the problem. If it does not blow, then the DMD itself is shorted.

G'day
Thanks for the info every fuse looks good, I took out the F2 fuse and turned the power on and the DMD didnt light up at all. but with the F2 fuse in place it lights up for the start up but then goes blank.
kind of like its not sure what the next sequence to load up is?
Not sure if the BR1 and BR2 are the problem either is there anyway of testing these inplace? can i swap BR1 with BR2 and see how that goes or do they both work together?

I also read your reply to the hook pinnie that wont power up and took a look at my pia led flashes?

when i turn the power on the PIA lights up only once but stays off, the +5V lights up once but stays on, and the Blank lights up once and stays off, if that means anything to you?

Cheers for your help.

Last edited:
They are interchangable. Swap them but be carefull to get the wires back in the right spots. If the display works and lights don't you found the problem.

G'Day again,
Yeah I swapped the BR1 and BR2 over the other night but still had exactly the same problem. im no expert by any means but im guessing the problem isnt anything to do with the DMD but more like a computer not booting up? its like it dosnt know what the next step to load up is and just stays frozen.
Cheers for your help.

On Data East and Sega machines, the DMD board is really its own separate computer with its own processor. If the board is bad, it could explain your problem.

Hi, The problem Im having with the baywatch, is the dmd has only 2 lines on it, the lines move as though it is going through its sequence Any ideas ?? The rest of the pinball sound etc is working fine, its just the dot matrix display..

Latest posts

Replies
Views
Poor Man's Pinball Podcast
P
Replies
Views
For Amusement Only EM and Bingo Pinball Podcast
F
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: momohoho27 has left the room.
      Back