Compile F7 in script window crashes with BAM

madmrmax

Weeeeeee
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones (Williams)
I'm trying to get back in to some pinball now that I have a newer laptop where I can play games.

I've done all the work to install FP with BAM using all the scripts from TerryRed. All is good when playing tables with BAM. I can even use the starter table that Terry has in his All In One table.

The problem I'm having is that every time I use the Compile feature in the script window FP crashes.
1700890340136.png

does this happen to anyone else? I'm on Windows 11 and I have FP updated with 4gb patch.

The crash doesn't happen when I don't load FP using FPLoader/BAM.

Do others use the compile feature and have the same issue?

-mark

It does it for me too. I never even used it before until someone else asked a similar question about it.

It's most likely the BAM related commands confusing FP, since it doesn't know what to make of them without running BAM, etc.

Ah got it. Thanks for confirming!
It does it for me too. I never even used it before until someone else asked a similar question about it.

It's most likely the BAM related commands confusing FP, since it doesn't know what to make of them without running BAM, etc.

For me, no problem when I use Compile in a first time. But the more I use FP, the more Compile doesn't work (but no crash).

Hi Mark
The "compile" command is only useful for Fp code, and not for Bam (for the moment), maybe "we" could ask Rav to implement it in Bam if it were possible, in fact I use it if I happen to forget a parenthesis or quotes ,but as often happens to me a "then" but for Bam it doesn't work, here are some images....
Cattura6.JPG Cattura8.JPGCattura7.JPG

However I think that the crash or blocking of Fp depends on the complexity of the table or even the resources of the PC (it happens to me) when I had a poor graphics card if I used it (the compile) for a simple table I had no problems if I used it for a very complex table like "batman" or "dragon keep" I had the block or crash.
Now it must also be said that I have had a decent graphics card for almost a couple of years,
if I try it with the two aforementioned tables the compile takes several seconds before telling me if there is a problem, but I don't have a crash or block.But since lately I make tables (when I have time) more less simple and I had no problems.

Greetings

Hi Mark
The "compile" command is only useful for Fp code, and not for Bam (for the moment), maybe "we" could ask Rav to implement it in Bam if it were possible, in fact I use it if I happen to forget a parenthesis or quotes ,but as often happens to me a "then" but for Bam it doesn't work, here are some images....
It works for BAM too. It's not a compiler, just a syntax chek. No error here:

F7.jpg

It works for BAM too. It's not a compiler, just a syntax chek. No error here:
A question but the compile is not a command to look for a possible error?
In the third image I remove the X of "xbam" but the compile tells me that it does not find errors

Just for syntax error. On my pic, I call an unknown subroutine and F7 and no error found.
But I'll get an error when I'll launch the table.

Last edited:
Yeah I use F7 just to verify syntax not related to BAM. I generally use some more complex scripting methods with class constructs and "with" statements and I generally love the F7 just to verify I didn't forget a closing statement.

My crash happens on the most basic "new" table, even a "new" table that doesn't have BAM functions in it. As Terry mentioned it could just be something that BAM is confused with. I think if Rav hooks it up to a debugger he might be able to find out why it crashes:

Faulting application name: Future Pinball.exe, version: 1.9.2008.1225, time stamp: 0x4d1d68d3
Faulting module name: BAM.dll, version: 1.5.365.0, time stamp: 0x648d59ad
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000b4b60
Faulting process id: 0x0x4574
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA1F4BE6E779C8
Faulting application path: D:\FP\Future Pinball.exe
Faulting module path: D:\FP\BAM\BAM.dll
Report Id: 9609aacc-62cb-4986-8210-5ae7ee4e2583
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

For me, no problem when I use Compile in a first time. But the more I use FP, the more Compile doesn't work (but no crash).
Very interesting. My repro steps are:

1. Launch FP using FPloader.exe (no admin permissions)
2. in FP, use "New Table"
3. Click on Script button
4. With mouse, click on Script menu and then click Compile

Results: crash.

I'm on a Windows 11 Intel i5 with 16gb machine.

Strange...
If I do like you, yes, FP crashes.
If I launch the table (without change), exit it and now compile, no crash...

Strange...
If I do like you, yes, FP crashes.
If I launch the table (without change), exit it and now compile, no crash...
That is actually very helpful data. I hadn't tried running my table first since I was messing around more on the scripting side. Might be an easy workaround assuming there isn't further crashes that happen down the road. I'd love to have BAM running/used since that is the (my opinion) correct way to play FP now.

-mark

Latest posts

P
Replies
Views
Pinball News
P
Replies
Views
Poor Man's Pinball Podcast
P
Replies
Views
For Amusement Only EM and Bingo Pinball Podcast
F
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: momohoho27 has left the room.
      Back