PN site comes and goes. no work or super slow.

pinhead1

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
all good
like the title says.
sometimes the site works ok, sometimes gets supper slow or stops working getting an error of "not available"
in Google or FFox in win10
i will close back to the browser and try pinballnirvana again. ...no work.
if i w8 awhile it will come back but keeps cycling on and off.
is it the heat and traffic during daytime hours or has this been a problem.
seems to work a little better at late night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
like the title says.
sometimes the site works ok, sometimes gets supper slow or stops working getting an error of "not available"
in Google or FFox in win10
i will close back to the browser and try pinballnirvana again. ...no work.
if i w8 awhile it will come back but keeps cycling on and off.
is it the heat and traffic during daytime hours or has this been a problem.
seems to work a little better at late night.

I noticed the same recently, but it is sporadic.
It may be the service provider is throttling the server, as I heard that this has happened in the past.

It has been happening to me also.

I tried a few 3rd party performance tests just now, which suggested that the site runs well enough when it's up, but of course that's not the real issue.

Finally I found something that supposedly monitors hourly & daily uptime, called "Pingdom.com." So I signed up for a free trial, but now I'm stuck in a loop in which I'm partially logged in, but every time I try to select a feature, I keep getting "onboarded." Hmm..

uptime-response-time-graph.png

I'll have to wrestle with this later, maybe try it from a different browser.

Obviously, anyone else feel free to try it out, or maybe a similar site. This one didn't require payment or anything, but the free trial lasts 30 days, FYI.

I'm late with this, but I noticed a bunch of 'up & down' email alerts from Pingdom.

They look like this:
UP alert: Pinballnirvana (pinballnirvana.com) is UP

PingdomAlert UP:
Pinballnirvana (pinballnirvana.com) is UP again at 08/14/2023 10:37:57 PM, after 15m of downtime.

PingdomAlert UP:
Pinballnirvana (pinballnirvana.com) is UP again at 08/14/2023 10:38:35 PM, after 15m of downtime.

PingdomAlert UP:
Pinballnirvana (pinballnirvana.com) is UP again at 08/14/2023 10:51:10 PM, after 30m of downtime.

PingdomAlert UP:
Pinballnirvana (pinballnirvana.com) is UP again at 08/14/2023 11:18:35 PM, after 10m of downtime.

If I'm reading the body of emails correctly, these downtimes seem to happen every couple days, and 30min was the longest outage so far. Most reported outages seemed to last 10 or 15min by Pingdom's sampling interval, which I would infer means that the downtimes were actually shorter.

Also, some of the reported times weirdly overlap. What's up with that?

I guess the good news is that so far, the site doesn't seem to be going down for a back-breakingly long time. So in every case (knock on wood), one can simply try back no later than 30min and get through.

It's probably worth cross-checking this with some other service, but hopefully I've provided a few insight.

Oh hang on, I finally got in to their online module, and am seeing somewhat different results.

I think this is mainly the relevant stuff, but let me know if there's anything else to click or scroll...

Attachments

• Pingdom.95.jpg
    Pingdom.95.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 7
  • Pingdom2.95.jpg
    Pingdom2.95.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Pingdom3.95.jpg
    Pingdom3.95.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 7
it happened again just now.
would not respond.
took a long time for it to come back

Last edited:
If sometimes PN could be down, there is a free website to simply check online if the server is down:
https://www.isitdownrightnow.com

There is also a website that give some paid or free service (free with limitations) to monitor a website:
https://www.statuscake.com

There is also some kind of html code counter that give some stats of a website:
https://statcounter.com
As some example:
https://statcounter.com/p8432401/country/

There is also this other website that is suggested:
https://www.sitemeter.com

There is many services online about monitoring some website, its hard to give good indications about the subject.

If sometimes PN could be down, there is a free website to simply check online if the server is down:
https://www.isitdownrightnow.com

There is also a website that give some paid or free service (free with limitations) to monitor a website:
https://www.statuscake.com

There is also some kind of html code counter that give some stats of a website:
https://statcounter.com
As some example:
https://statcounter.com/p8432401/country/

There is also this other website that is suggested:
https://www.sitemeter.com

There is many services online about monitoring some website, its hard to give good indications about the subject.
thanks, very interesting.
oth, there are many other possibilities to consider but still no real way to know for sure.
the PN website has been better since the heat has gone away.
still getting occasional dropouts but not as bad.
i'm considering the heat was a problem and maybe bottle-necking from all the heavy traffic at peak hours like a traffic jam on the freeway.

thanks, very interesting.
oth, there are many other possibilities to consider but still no real way to know for sure.
the PN website has been better since the heat has gone away.
still getting occasional dropouts but not as bad.
i'm considering the heat was a problem and maybe bottle-necking from all the heavy traffic at peak hours like a traffic jam on the freeway.
When you say (since the heat has gone away), i suppose that you speak about the heat that the servers that host PN produce? Well peoples that manage servers know that, electricity and electronics produce heat; so they need some cooling system for more stability.

I'm no expert but also i think it is important that there is many backups for the servers. Backups that are linked to the servers internally, also backups that is (not linked), because when linked; it's possible that the linked backups also crash. Brief backups from scratch.

When you say (since the heat has gone away), i suppose that you speak about the heat that the servers that host PN produce? Well peoples that manage servers know that, electricity and electronics produce heat; so they need some cooling system for more stability.

I'm no expert but also i think it is important that there is many backups for the servers. Backups that are linked to the servers internally, also backups that is (not linked), because when linked; it's possible that the linked backups also crash. Brief backups from scratch.
20degree>>>>>When you say (since the heat has gone away), i suppose that you speak about the heat that the servers
that host PN produce? Well peoples that manage servers know that, electricity and electronics produce heat; so they need some cooling system for more stability.<<<<<
sorry, my bad, i was not clear.
the extreme heat across the nation during peak hours may have created a lot of problems everywhere.
everybody was using their AC, fans, swampers, etc... putting a tremendous draw on the transformers and the power supply.

Last edited:
@pinhead1 Dont worry, my self also i am missunderstand by peoples, even judged some times. Some times it happen when so many peoples use electricity at some peak times, that the electric services have difficulty to give to all customers. A thing that i do when i write, i read my self before posting; simply wanting that it is understand in the way i would like (well i hope).

If the heat is high where you are a suggestion to use less electricity for cooling, you can create some manual fan with some paper. You could also put a bath cap then fill the bath with cold water, what this will do is that the heat will be absorb at some point into the cold water in the bath; doing so you will notice that the cold water is getting warmer indicating that it absorb the heat. If you want you could also put some ice cube into some wet rag fabric, after put it in the "interior" of the left arm or right arm (other side of the elbow); because of the blood vessels in the arms it should reduce the body temperature doing so.

@pinhead1 Dont worry, my self also i am missunderstand by peoples, even judged some times. Some times it happen when so many peoples use electricity at some peak times, that the electric services have difficulty to give to all customers. A thing that i do when i write, i read my self before posting; simply wanting that it is understand in the way i would like (well i hope).

If the heat is high where you are a suggestion to use less electricity for cooling, you can create some manual fan with some paper. You could also put a bath cap then fill the bath with cold water, what this will do is that the heat will be absorb at some point into the cold water in the bath; doing so you will notice that the cold water is getting warmer indicating that it absorb the heat. If you want you could also put some ice cube into some wet rag fabric, after put it in the "interior" of the left arm or right arm (other side of the elbow); because of the blood vessels in the arms it should reduce the body temperature doing so.
20degree>>>>>If the heat is high where you are a suggestion to use less electricity for cooling, you can create some manual fan
with some paper......fill the bath with cold water >>>>>
i don't use the bathtub because it takes too much water. 20-25gallons.
we got some rain last 2023 season but i still pinch the water.
we had 6yrs of bad drought where i live from 2016-2023.
drought is bad here.
1. i already installed an attic fan, 2 box fans in the windows, 1 blowing in and 1 blowing out,
2. central house AC thermostat on 83-85.
my electric bill is still way over $200.
3. changed central house fan from "auto" to "on" all day to keep air circulating.
in the evening i can shut down the AC and run the fans in the windows to bring in cool air from outside.
4. if i still need help i run the cold water in the tub over my head and my feet.
sometimes i need a little ice in the water because the water coming out of the tub is too warm.
we just got lucky and got some rain in 2023.

Last edited:

Latest posts

P
Replies
Views
Pinball News
P
Replies
Views
Poor Man's Pinball Podcast
P
Replies
Views
For Amusement Only EM and Bingo Pinball Podcast
F
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: momohoho27 has left the room.
      Back